Homeward Bound: Cleetus makes the OH to FL drive!!!

zeitgeist57

In a nutshell...

This weekend in Columbus: Load family heirloom Wurlitzer piano in the back of 1985 Chevy pickup that has had nothing but a new clutch and radiator done in the past year. Give said truck's owner (me) a bag of diet soda in cans, some bananas, and Cheez-it's. Also loan father-in-laws GPS unit. Check cell phone battery. Start driving at 3:30pm on Sunday.

Amazingly push the vehicle to a GPS-observed 80-85mph. Make it to KY in record time. Engine starts pinging. Push gas in more. Pinging goes away. Truck is happy. :)

Go through KY and TN, end up in GA (still amazed) at 10:30pm on Sunday. Stay overnight. Get up and depart 7:30am Monday. Continue on track.

Get to FLA. Did not pack shorts...sun makes unconditioned truck unbearable in jeans. Roll down windows. Lose mpg and top speed.

Surprise EVERYONE to arrive in Naples, FL at 7pm. NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER (except for pinging). Move piano into new home. Realize rear axle is now leaking axle grease out of one wheel. Still smile at the adventure. :)

All in all, I feel great! Truck averaged 12mpg, and even though I bought an alternator, fuel pump, starter and other emergency parts that needed replacing anyway the truck still ran awesome.

I'll try to get pics of Cleetus on the beach. It's great to have my seriously useful and tons-of-fun Cleetus around to help me in FL. I'll definitely need him for some home improvement ideas I have!

new timing chain.

Engine was supposedly rebuilt 50k miles ago?

It was a 1200 mile trip. Even with $300 in gas, it still beats $1100 to ship the truck.

Now I need someone to put new bearings and seals in the rearend...

Engine was supposedly rebuilt 50k miles ago?

It was a 1200 mile trip. Even with $300 in gas, it still beats $1100 to ship the truck.

Now I need someone to put new bearings and seals in the rearend...

PM Sent

I just got this back last night. -

http://nurkvinny.com/images/Vehicles/Trucks/1985_S10/NewHousing4.JPG

He built it from scratch, for a GREAT price.

EDIT - And I JUST realized the truck is in Florida. :(

Everyone should have a cleetus

After this trip, NO ONE can have mine. Get your own Cleetus. :)

BEST.$900.VEHICLE.EVAR.

I actually had an alternator, starter, fuel pump, tire patch kit, fix-a-flat, belts, hoses, fuses, flares, etc... just in case Cleetus broke down. I'm amazed that it never came to that!

No rest for the weary, though...now I have to ship my stock Corvette wheels by the UPS Store, so I'm putting Cleetus back to work.