new owner oil question...

CRed05

I recently bought a 02 gsxr 600 and i want to change the oil. So i read up on it a bit and saw that motorcycle oil isnt anything special, you just pay more for nothing. So i would like to know what oil you guys would suggest using. I got a filter too, its a fram so any comments on that?

thanks

Shell Rotella! it's made for diesel trucks but is the bomb in motorcycles and cars as well. we've been running it in racecars and bikes for a few years now. i run k&n oilfilters since they come with a predrilled nut for safety wiring already on them.(not cheap at all though)

fram = shit. Sure it will work, but so will Kroger brand pop-tarts. I use junk filters on my car occasionally, but I dont rev my car to 15K RPM either. I usually go with a Mobil1 or K&N. However, I doubt you will ever hear of anyone blowing their motor due to a cheap filter.

Main thing in oil is you want to avoid oils with friction modifiers, AKA "energy conserving." No motorcycle oils will contain these. They are said to promote clutch slippage in wet applications, though I cannot vouch for the validity of that belief. The weight is always a controversial subject, but you cannot go wrong with what the manual recommends.

*whatever you choose, keep it clean and change it as recommended. That is most important.

sounds like mobil 1 is the way to go. 10w40 is recommended but i am having the hardest time finding it.

Muthapucka--I use valvolines 5w40 premium blue extreme in my car which is for diesel engines too and its a full synthetic. They also have regular premium blue which is 15w40 and a non synthetic. Awesome stuff, might want to check it out. From what ive heard premium blue > rotella

Mobil 1 has always been the best to me.

Over 45k street and track miles on 4-bikes and ZERO clutch or any other engine problems...

I also use Mobile 1 "MX4T" in my Hayabusa and my wifes R1. Iron Pony sells it. Iron Pony is very expensive though. Auto Zone used to carry it, but I think they discontinued it. I have heard of people getting it at AV Lube in Groveport. http://www.avlube.com

Hope this helps.