Buying a new bike... need some help.

Well as Im only 18 I need some help in deciding what I should do about getting another bike.

As of last year I was riding an 01 Katana I was making payments to my dad on. Well this winer he decided he was too old for the sport scene and traded in my (well his) Katana on a Suzuki M109.

I didnt think anything of it until lately when I have really wanted to go out and hit the pavement again. Well now I am looking very seriously into getting either a newer GSXR or CBR 600.Yet and still my dad has offered to sell me his 97 YZF1000.

Heres the deal.... He wants to sell me the Thunderace for $4000. It has 21,000 miles but has never been down.

I would jump on that but he wont let me make payments to him again. He wants money up front which obviously means I need a loan (and a cosigner, but thats another story).

Cliffs: Buy a 97 YZF 1000 for $4k

or pursue a newer GSXR or CBR 600 with less miles for more $$$

You can get a heck of a lot better bike for $4k than a 97 YZF 1000....

It's going to be easier for you to get a loan on a new bike than the 97 anyway. Plus your interest rate will be better "if you can get the loan." I don't know what kind of credit you have or income, etc....

Before you do any of that, CALL AND GET A INSURANCE QUOTE!

I would jump on that but he wont let me make payments to him again. He wants money up front which obviously means I need a loan (and a cosigner, but thats another story).

Cliffs: Buy a 97 YZF 1000 for $4k

or pursue a newer GSXR or CBR 600 with less miles for more $$$

I was just woundering, If you cant get a loan to buy your fathers bike. Then how are you going to get a loan for a more expensive bike?

Guest Meatwad
it is harder to get a loan on a bike a lot E Z ER on a car sounds like your dad dont trust u with paying him back an on time.

Hey DB, I'm not trying to be a dick, but could you throw a period in there somewhere? Kinda hard to follow. :)

Hey DB, I'm not trying to be a dick, but could you throw a period in there somewhere? Kinda hard to follow. :)

I'll be a dick for you. :) Fixed.

Most banks won't do an auto loan on a vehicle older than 5 years. Last year when I was looking, it was cheaper and easier for me to buy brand new than to get a loan on a used bike.

I was just woundering, If you cant get a loan to buy your fathers bike. Then how are you going to get a loan for a more expensive bike?

My dad is a prick..... there is no way around it. I think its better to steer clear of him if at all possible when buying a new bike.

Guest streetkilla
any dealer in Cols will hand you the keys of a new bike w/25+% intrest on the loan, and the insurance man will be digging you out monthly with a magnumXL, have a great summer....