Need some info on BMW M3s and 330CIs

JaSSon

Does anyone have any experience with these cars? The goods and the bads? I'm specifically looking at 01+ M3's and similar year 330CIs. The goods and the bads? How is the reliability? I think both models are absolutely beautiful cars.

What is the aftermarket like for these cars? The 333hp of the M3 sounds pretty nice, but the 220hp of the 330CI sounds a bit timid.

I stopped at MAG just a little bit ago and peeked into an 02 Black M3 with ~39,000 miles on it for ~$37k, a 03 silver M3 with ~32,000 miles of it for ~$39K, and a silver 330CI. I think they were asking ~$26K for that one, 49,000 miles. See pics here.

Do those prices sound fair? How much do you think I can haggle on a Beemer?

I am with you....absolutely beautiful cars. From what I have read the M3s are extremely expensive to modify. It would probably be easier and less expensive to modify the 330 CI but you probably could not get it to the M3 specs without major $$.

Nate had good info when I had my 330i. I had horrible reliability but that's not meaning all 330is have problems. M3s can be really expensive to modify, but they are a sweet car.

I'm a big big fan of the M3 but I'm going to wait until the new V8 model is available before I pick one up. It's likely that an 03+ M3 will be my next car purchase after an R32 daily driver. From what I have read they're pretty reliable but they have quirks about them similar to other high-performance cars, such as fuel pumps and stuff. Never really met a dissatisfied M3 owner though, check out http://www.m3forum.com

Andy has his white M3 and it's well-modded, suspension-wise...maybe he'll chime in.

I have an 03 M3 and like it. Very expensive to modify and the service is outrageous, but so far no major problems.

Can I get a few examples?

Another question, what is insurance like on these cars? Is the M3 treated like a sports car, or like a luxury coupe?

...the service is outrageous...

Quoted for authenticity.

I should've mentioned before that the 330i I had was a blast to drive. It had a great power band, and was quite quick for only having 225 hp and 214 ft lbs. It also handled perfectly, I felt very connected to the road and it seemed to do exactly what I told it to. An M3 is going to be better than the 330i in every way, although if you're looking for anything with a straight line (I hope not, that's not what it's meant for) you'll be looking at low 12s after a lot of modding. The first M3 to go 11s only happened recently and on spray.

PS, either way you'll need to watch the lower control arms. On the e46 they tend to go after 45-50k miles.

I own an '02 E46 M3 and it's probably the best all around car that I've ever driven. Many people call it the Ultimate compromise car. It's not outstanding at any one thing, but it's VERY VERY GOOD at everything. Heck it's always been used as a benchmark for the Luxury GT segment with some cars that fall into the sports car segment still trying to achieve M3 levels of performance. Only 5 years after it's introduction has Audi finally stepped up and bested the M3 with the RS4 which I'm sure will be beat again when the new M3 comes out for '08.

Aftermarket parts are going to always fall in comparison to the price of the car....so Yes mods are going to be MORE expensive than say a Mustang or Camaro...but for MOST thigns you'd be suprised that they're rather reasonable. I've got intake, software, muffler, pullies and honestly it's probably worth 10hp combined. There's another 10-15 hp in Headers and race cats but it cost $4000.

Where the car gets fun and where I wish I would have allocated more of my mod money is in suspension. The M3 understeers a fair amount from the factory. But there are several well priced solutions on the market. Columbus' very own TC Kline make top of the line customized suspensions. For barely over $2000-2500 you can have Koni single adjustables or double adjustables, spring rate of your choosing (not an off the shelf standardized spring), camber plates, upgraded rear shock mounts and everything you need to trasnform the car. Ground control also offers similar solutions for similar pricing but why not go TCK when they're local. with coilovers and camber plates the car is a completely new animal and SO SO entertaining to drive. if you'd like a ride in mine sometime shoot me a PM.

Maintenance. while labor rates at the dealer are high, parts are reasonable for a $60K car. The car calls for plug changes and fluid changes (diff, tranny) every 30K miles. All pre 03.5 cars were required to have a rod bearing recall done to them due to oil starvation issues on track. Part of the recall requires owners to run Catrol TWS 10W 60 oil in the cars which is $10 per lieter (6 required) so oil changes are not cheap BUT due to the recall all engines are covered for 6 yrs or 100K miles. So the oil is a small price to pay for an extended warranty on a 8000rpm, solid lifter motor. Speaking of the Lifters that's where you will eventually have to pay for some service. I had my valves checked recently at 38K miles and all were still within spec and needed no adjustment. Unfortunatly to get to the valves requires some special BMW tools that are $$$ so it was worth it for the couple hundered I paid in labor to just have them checked and not try to do them myself. All the rest of my service I have performed with ease on the car.

I'm sure there's more...shoot me a PM with any questions.

Andy

Pics of mine after her last big cleanup

http://www.m3forum.net/gallery/data/522/Picture_006.jpg

http://www.m3forum.net/gallery/data/522/Picture_022.jpg

http://www.m3forum.net/gallery/data/522/Picture_025.jpg

http://www.m3forum.net/gallery/data/522/Picture_0141.jpg

Andy

If you're going to get a three series you'll hate yourself later it you get anything other than an M series. I have an older M3 and a 540 and I can tell you there's nothing like the pure driving pleasure derived from and M series BMW. My M3 is a 97 with some mods, and a co-worker of mine has a 02 330ci. There really isn't any competion between the two, everytime we run he's way back in the rearview. The only thing better about the newer 3's is the interior quality. If you can afford it buy nothing but the M.

The E46 M3 is an AMAZING car. It is my fiancé's daily driver. It truly has been a great machine. I have modified it extensively and, like some said, it is more expensive than some domestics, the performance gained and the rewrads reaped are equally higher than the cheaper mods. I have done an Hamann coil-over suspension, front strut bar, short shift kit, aluminum racing pedals, shifter, and e-brake lever. 19" 3-piece PG3 wheels of 19x8.5 in front and 19x10 in the rear, and full cat-back exhaust. I never got around to the chip and air intake which would go from 365 HP I have now to 405hp. I have done a custom interior and sound system and both she and I love it. We kept the factory wheels for putting 18" Blizzak snow tires on and in the winter, there is no where it cannot go.

I could not recommend any car more highly.

Also, since the factory warranty is 4 years, it will run out in July of this year and then I will renew. I have paid 0$ for maintanence, except I think I paid for oil changes, I am not sure. But you get the idea.

Here is one of many pics I have.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that we ordered the car from BMW with the custom M5 color of "Lemans Blue"

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/6967/m3forweb29mq.jpg

David: Sharp M3...PG-3's are some of my favorte wheels for the M3. Well put together without going overboard with exterior modifications...I'm a big fan of the subtle look.

Slightly OT...but if you're in need of a quality detailer in town...I'd love to have your business.

http://www.andyzainodetail.com 614-747-0002

Andy

David: Sharp M3...PG-3's are some of my favorte wheels for the M3. Well put together without going overboard with exterior modifications...I'm a big fan of the subtle look.

Slightly OT...but if you're in need of a quality detailer in town...I'd love to have your business.

http://www.andyzainodetail.com 614-747-0002

Andy

I will definitely keep that in mind because it's very likely I will need just that!

And thank you for the compliments.

E46 M3 is known for being the benchmark of a driver's car! Sure its not the fastest car or the most luxurious, but it does what it aims to do quite well. If you haven't driven one, go drive one, that will tell you whether you want it or not. Its definately the most user friendly for putting down the 333 and handles like a dream! Maintenence wise it isn't the most cost friendly, but you gotta pay to play! The fact that cars are created specifically as a target for the M3 reiterates its benchmark performance. You won't be dissapointed should you choose this as a new ride!

E46 M3 is known for being the benchmark of a driver's car! Sure its not the fastest car or the most luxurious, but it does what it aims to do quite well. If you haven't driven one, go drive one, that will tell you whether you want it or not. Its definately the most user friendly for putting down the 333 and handles like a dream! Maintenence wise it isn't the most cost friendly, but you gotta pay to play! The fact that cars are created specifically as a target for the M3 reiterates its benchmark performance. You won't be dissapointed should you choose this as a new ride!

I honestly have never owned a cheaper car to maintain. EVERYTHING is covered under warranty. I have spent more on my Hummer, Porsche, Ferrari each (and I didn't spend much on them) than my M5, 540, and M3 combined.

Definitely go for it. JUST NO SMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest bimmer95
If you can wrench on a Mustang, you can wrench on a BMW, so don't worry much about "high service costs". Absolutely everything I've taken apart on BMWs has been easier than my old '84 SVO Mustang was to work on. All of the basic maintenance on them is quite easy, even suspension upgrades are pretty simple (I've swapped springs on an E46 coupe in 75 minutes total).

I honestly have never owned a cheaper car to maintain. EVERYTHING is covered under warranty. I have spent more on my Hummer, Porsche, Ferrari each (and I didn't spend much on them) than my M5, 540, and M3 combined.

Definitely go for it. JUST NO SMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SMG is TRASH. Jason, ask Mick about her's next time you see her...i'm way to lazy to type that out.

-Marc

I'll stop by and pester Mick to let me drive it sometime soon.

As badly as I want one, I think I'll wait for the new body style that's coming out. That oughta drop the cost a bit.

I would be careful. Yes the new M3 will have a V8 but it will be larger and heavier and MUCH MORE electronic. The E46 is even too electronic for many enthusiasts; they prefer the E30 or E36 M3's. If the M3 is a bust (which it will be to many), you could end up having to pay a higher premium for the E46's. I think that the best time to buy will be right BEFORE the new E90's hit. That way, everyone will only have speculation on what the new M3 will be like and no one will be trying to get back into their E46's just yet.

Vehicle(s): Lamborghinis, BMW, Hummer

First name: David

Trader Rating: (0)

damn wiggs. what is it that you do again?

Vehicle(s): *

First name: *

Trader Rating: (0)

Something very different than you!!! :asshole:

I'm just kidding :D

I do not discuss personal business on public forums. If we ever meet sometime I will gladly tell you about it. Good luck in everything you do!