storm + pc = suck

TheHaze

I was at a party the other night when it stormed so I was unable to turn my pc off. next morning I get home it won't boot. I tried a new power supply and the pc fans and cpu fan came on, but no luck booting. I tried a new mobo and now nothing will come on. Is it possible that the power surged everything? Or maybe just my processor(which would suck being so expensive)?

Did you unplug all the connections? (hard drive, cd, floppy, etc.). Just put in a video card, some ram, the cpu/fan and connect the power supply connectors. See what happens.

I would definitely try unplugging the harddrive, and see if it will at least POST. If not, sounds like a processor to me.

Detaching all the unessentials is the best way to start. After that, follow the power. Meaning, the mobo is more likely to get toasted than the CPU. If possible, listen for diagnostic beeps or clicks, if you don't hear anything then its probably the mobo itself that went. I have seen some godawful stuff happen to mobos with a perfectly fine CPU.

Edit: I should also bring up how good of an idea it is to have a decent UPS protecting your hardware. Passive surge protectors are almost useless considering how sensitive most computers are. Find a slickdeal on a cheap UPS from bestbuy or microcenter, or if you want to really invest in some protection let me know and I can show you some hot deals on ebay.

I was at a party the other night when it stormed so I was unable to turn my pc off. next morning I get home it won't boot. I tried a new power supply and the pc fans and cpu fan came on, but no luck booting. I tried a new mobo and now nothing will come on. Is it possible that the power surged everything? Or maybe just my processor(which would suck being so expensive)?

Weird situation on this one. You tried a new power supply that DEFINITELY works? My initial thought was the PS also. I ran into that once also with a dying power supply where you would push the power button and only the fans would come on -- swapped out the PS and no more trouble. If it was the harddrive alone I would think it would still POST and just give you a "No Hard Disk Detected" or "HDD Failed" or something along those lines.

It could possibly be the CPU if it's fried. I've personally never run into a dead CPU (knock on wood) so I'm not sure if a mainboard will boot or not with a dead CPU. I would vote for either a second faulty PS/Mainboard or a dead CPU as the culprit.

Please let us know. I am curious -- this is what I do for a living so this is definitely good education since I've never run into this type of situation before.

The only thing connected now is the brand new psu, brand new mobo, and my old processor. I hit the power button and the cpu fan spun ocne and stopped. The new psu doesnt turn on anymore so I think I fucked that over too. I think my best bet is to just get a new psu, mobo and cpu all at once.