maaco worth it?

Slimpsy1647545505

I was contemplating having my car repainted at maaco, not the cheapest of cheap one, but the next step up. Do any of you have experience with them, if so..how did it turn out? Also..any pics woudl be awesome. I'm not expecting a showcase finish, but just a basic base/gloss job.

thanks in advance

From what I have heard, you get what you pay for. The cheapest paint job is nothing more than a cheap paint job. I have also heard they will nickle and dime you for taping off the car and doing stuff like door jams and such.

A guy I work with had his t/a painted there. He did all the prep work himself and taped everythign off himself. He got the basic paint plus extra clearcoat. In my opinion it looks fantastic. It's all up to how you prep it.

A guy I work with had his t/a painted there. He did all the prep work himself and taped everythign off himself. He got the basic paint plus extra clearcoat. In my opinion it looks fantastic. It's all up to how you prep it.

not really but thats a good part of it. It helps to have a good painter, air system, gun, booth, GOOD BASE, better clear and so on. just thought I would say this.

99% of a good paint job is prep and that is where Macco cuts time in order to still mae money. Paint work is what you pay for 100%. Ether take it to a full tilt body shop and pay out the ass and then nit pick everything till it is better than new/ Or take it to Rolla's and pay a fair price and get a good clean job that will last and look real close to factory

take it from me, dont do it. i was in a wreck in june 03, made the mistake of taking my car there...there was some scratches/knicks, i asked them to repaint the car (insurance estimated paint/labor at almost 1k for the accident area) with the top of the line paint job...like the signature service i think its called. it was the most expensive package they had. also paid them like 150-200 for wetsand/buff...since then, it has been back probably 8-9 times (no exaggeration), has been COMPLETELY re-painted 2x, and i still have dirt under the paint, paint chipping (in areas that cant even get hit by anything to chip...like my hood by the windshiled, where it meets the fender, on the edge), got parts painted that shouldnt have been (mirror delta bases), spots that didnt get fully painted (under side of spoiler), overspray EVERYWHERE, and my newest find, white spots on the hood...looks like gravel chips, but its under the clear coat

and not to mention, the first 7-8 fuckups were at the main street location (behind flowerama, dont go there)...once they fucked up for the last time i called maaco corportate, which took a while since they're franchised, but they sent me to grove city location (i want to say on harrisburg pike/alkire rd...sound right?? its behind a small dealership), i was told they would repaint the car, get it back and its still terrible. when i pointed out problems (dirt under paint, bottom of spoiler matte finish due to not getting cleared) to the shop, the response i was given was "well no paint job can be 100% perfect"...i just sat there like "youre a fucking paint shop. is this a joke?"

last time it was in their shop was may, so ive been meaning to get off my ass and write corporate a letter. this thread will remind me to get off my ass

bottom line, dont do it unless you dont care what the car looks like. please

I had a car painted.... I got the 2nd to lowest paint on my car (this was back probably almost 10 years ago though) and got it back and was very happy with the results.... I do agree though... do all the prep work yourself and you should be happy with the results.

Ok heres a noobie question....

What is all involved with prepping a car yourself to prepare it for painting by a shop?

You strip all the old paint off, sand, fix all the dents and imperfections, primer the car, tape off everything you dont want painted, and drop it off at Maaco.

My friend had his car painted there, but all of the prep work was done be a professional body man. It didnt look bad at all when it was done. Again though, the prep work was done by a professional.

Like Clark said, you get what you pay for.

Honestly, I would recomend taking it to Rolla. Great work done on the cheap.

-Marc

You strip all the old paint off, sand, fix all the dents and imperfections, primer the car, tape off everything you dont want painted, and drop it off at Maaco.

sort of. People are obsessed with taking the car to fresh steel. all you have to do is find the imperfections, fix them with mud or a fiberglass (depending on what is broken or beat). Make them flat (a bunch of different ways to do this. old body men use their hand to see if its true) finish with 320 or 600 for no sand marks, scuff (extra percaution I always do), degrease, cheese cloth, prime, base, clear. you dont have to strip the old paint off. if there is no imperfections go over with 320 then scuff, degrease, cheese cloth and base/clear.

Call Rolla and he will say the same thing. HIs number is 614-496-4969. Good luck

sort of. People are obsessed with taking the car to fresh steel. all you have to do is find the imperfections, fix them with mud or a fiberglass (depending on what is broken or beat). Make them flat (a bunch of different ways to do this. old body men use their hand to see if its true) finish with 320 or 600 for no sand marks, scuff (extra percaution I always do), degrease, cheese cloth, prime, base, clear. you dont have to strip the old paint off. if there is no imperfections go over with 320 then scuff, degrease, cheese cloth and base/clear.

Call Rolla and he will say the same thing. HIs number is 614-496-4969. Good luck

Sorry Clark, I should have clairified. When did you learn how to do body work? :rolleyes:

You can ask Justin about Alex's car and Maaco. For what they did, it looked pretty good. He did all the prep work...

Maaco uses Enamel Paints.. that's all that needs to be said. If you're planning to get your car painted after Maaco's shitty paints are already laid down on your car you can almost forget about it. You're going to have to strip the entire car down to bare metal to get any good paint to adhere without reacting to the Enamel paint.

*EDITED* I meant Enamel paints.

Sorry Clark, I should have clairified. When did you learn how to do body work? :rolleyes:

You can ask Justin about Alex's car and Maaco. For what they did, it looked pretty good. He did all the prep work...

marc do you always try and bring people down to your bitch level, who know more about things than you. You must hate everyone on this site if thats true.

marc do you always try and bring people down to your bitch level, who know more about things than you. You must hate everyone on this site if thats true.

Do you always have to be a condescending know it all? He asked for a basic "what's involved in prep" and that's what I gave him. Sorry I didn’t go into exact detail...

Just because you're the parts bitch at a body shop doesn’t mean you have ever actually done body work.

Kthnxbye. :p

-Marc

*<-hasn't done body work. I just know first hand experience with Maaco.

Hes right you don't have to take down to metal you just need a good clean surface for the paint to bite into to hold.

Hes right you don't have to take down to metal you just need a good clean surface for the paint to bite into to hold.

I'm not arguing, but I never said "take it down to bare metal"...

Sorry for trying to offer the guy a basic explanation. :rolleyes:

-Marc

Do you always have to be a condescending know it all? He asked for a basic "what's involved in prep" and that's what I gave him. Sorry I didn’t go into exact detail...

Just because you're the parts bitch at a body shop doesn’t mean you have ever actually done body work.

Kthnxbye. :p

-Marc

*<-hasn't done body work. I just know first hand experience with Maaco.

Marc the difference is I dont want him to fuck up his car due to the advice from someone who doesnt know (such as yourself). Call if you want to talk baby I got time. you know the number.

have a good day.

Marc the difference is I dont want him to fuck up his car due to the advice from someone who doesnt know (such as yourself). Call if you want to talk baby I got time. you know the number.

have a good day.

You have time because you don't do shit at work. :p

How would any of what I said fuck up his car? He didnt start a thread like "Hey, I want to paint my own car; can anyone give me advice on what prep to do?" He simply asked what prep work do you do...I simply answered his question without going into hardcore details. You are more than welcome to lick me where I shit. :cool:

-Marc

You have time because you don't do shit at work. :p

How would any of what I said fuck up his car? He didnt start a thread like "Hey, I want to paint my own car; can anyone give me advice on what prep to do?" He simply asked what prep work do you do...I simply answered his question without going into hardcore details. You are more than welcome to lick me where I shit. :cool:

-Marc

If you want me to read you what I posted call me. What I said was

MadMalibu

"Marc the difference is I dont want him to fuck up his car due to the advice from someone who doesnt know (such as yourself). Call if you want to talk baby I got time. you know the number."

your post

MadMalibu

my response

Jelloman457

sort of. People are obsessed with taking the car to fresh steel. all you have to do is find the imperfections, fix them with mud or a fiberglass (depending on what is broken or beat). Make them flat (a bunch of different ways to do this. old body men use their hand to see if its true) finish with 320 or 600 for no sand marks, scuff (extra percaution I always do), degrease, cheese cloth, prime,

your awesome post

MadMalibu

My answer

Jelloman457

your post

MadMalibu

my answer

Jelloman457

Marc the difference is I dont want him to fuck up his car due to the advice from someone who doesnt know (such as yourself).

At no time did I start shit with your punk ass. I just said he didnt have to STRIP the paint. A bunch of people take sand paper and sand a car till they see pure metal. You dont have to do that. On some cars also, if you have pure metal exposed for a duration of time (the time it takes to set a time to get it painted), the metal will start to rust (no shit it happens), and become soft in turn holey. You started this talk Sir YODA of the E-thugs, I just said that he doesnt have to STRIP THE PAINT (direct words you used) do to the affects that might happen.

Love always