Anyone know anything about chainlink fences and gates??

Nitrousbird

Here's the deal. I have a 4' high chainlink fence all the way around my back yard. I live in a culdasac, so my yard is oddly shaped. Everything is decent until you get to the left side of my house (the part that goes from the edge of the house to my property line; from there in make a 90' turn and starts going back.

At that part, the post on either side is good and sturdy. What's in between is a rats nest of cheap nylon coated fence wire tied and barely standing...a previous owner special I've never felt like touching. Since I'm now starting to put things in my back yard on a regular basis (read, backing a trailer in there), pulling down el' cheapo fence isn't working out very well.

I am 19' apart from pole-to-pole. I want a swing out gate that latches in the middle, so I can swing each side out. I hit up Lowes and Home Depot, but none of their pre-fabbed gates would work (and were pricey), and fabbing one up from their parts looked to be an expensive experience as well.

Is there any place that specializes in fences? I'm looking for simple and cheap. I've never dealt with fencing before, and have no idea where to go from here.

Any kind of load bearing neccesities? Keeping dogs in/out, keeping kids in/out? If its just to say "Hey, I'm a gate", use conduit. If you're not controlling animals, there's no real need to have the chain link innards. I remember you posting about your neighbors cats, dont worry, no chainlink fence wil keep them out anyways, not worth trying. ;)

I'll scribble something up, can you weld?

Oh...well, then, nevermind the gato's

addendum: scribble

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/9780/gatefk0.png

Your hinge mechanism is actualy just one pipe, slid over a slightly smaller one. The smaller on is anchored in the ground, and has a "washer" welded to it that your gate hinge tube rests/rotates on, grease this.

At the top, for strength, you tie the top of the smaller tube into the fence posts. For the pup, add chainlink to the gate, or get an "invisible fence".

My dog + invisible fence = bad idea. Not that he would run through it (at 16, he does more trotting than running). Rather, many years ago he had one of those collars, hit the fence, and instead of running back, he got scared and layed down, continuing to get shocked. Not a good idea to say the least!

My roomate can weld pretty well (mig and tig), but we are !welder at this moment, and I'm not looking to make this a big project. Hell, if I could find a fence supply store w 2 9' gates, that would be excellent.

I have extra 4' fencing if you need any. I got at least 25' left from my yard. If you want to put doors on each side to cover the entire 19' then it not be too cheap. I got two 4' long gates and they were only $26 each. But I saw the longer ones and they were much more. If you get 8' long ones the price pretty much doubles and that wouldn't even cover 19'. I would suggest you put another end post up and use more fence to cover it then just buy regular gates. I can fit my car through the 2 gates when opened if that's what you're going for.

I would just go bye a 10' car gate and reset your post. You would just need to mearure were to break your fence off and set a post. I think I have extra post, concrete, and maybe the hardware (not sure). Let me know if you would like some help.

Eric