Back Woods Tour

Unk Greg

Hey. Some jokes about this and then the thought, why not? Started in this group by seeing postings of folks in the neighborhood, or passing thru. Now I read more are coming and the radio is running PSA's about the King Midgets touring the area. We can't let these lawnmower engined cars rule the highway!

Is anyone interested in having some little trips set up here? Kawi Kid and I could do something. General idea is: Ya get yer little group together and come on down (from Cleve) or come on up (from Columbus). We could do small loops around area and keep the miles down (JRMii). One route I looked at this AM was at 50-60 miles. Use this county for a base camp and run out from here. Then co-ordinate with ya tourists on the best routes for your interests, us being local hicks.

Plan, would be to have it wrap up late PM, before dark and all the creatures start coming out.

What say? Let us know, please.

Be back in 10-12 hrs. Ya want the routes posted in "Moritz" code?

"JRMMiiii", One route we talked about briefly at #36. Boy, if dat don't sound like a code, huh?

If ya folks got somethin' else going (Satan luncheon) I'll defer. There's always the fall leafy tour.

"mags", we could rent a mini van and all the SO's could shop for Amish furniture. My PA outing has new wicker on the porch (ouch)!

Okay, basics are: Holmes County, situated approx. 80 miles south of Cleve and about the same miles northerly of Columbus. Mansfield 45 miles (?) west. So 71's at west end of area and jump on 97E (by Mid-Ohio Race Track) thru Mohican Woods to Loudonville to 39E to Holmes Co. Heck that route there alone makes the ride. Cleve, drop down 71 to 83S (to Wooster), another option I77 and east from Dover N-Philly on 39. 'Clum-bus' USR 62 all the way (or 36 north from town on 71). I usually catch 161 to 62 (New Albany). Canton/Massillon drop down USR62. If yer a glutton for punishment drop down SR241, yikes, buggies and bikes. Just watch the horses ears...if laid back, that's when ya "pipe". How fast are quarter horses? No, just kidding, don't. Easterlies traveling 39 west (as well as 62's south), will encounter Berlin, sorry. Tourists and both the lites (maybe three now).

Millersburg is central to the rural county. Located at intersections of SR's 39, 83, USR62. Yep, everything funnels right into the square.

Reference/info seekers try; www.historicdowntownmillersburg.com, and a guy started some sorta 'radio-like' station on interenet, www.thevoiceofholmescounty.com. If it helps ya out.

Best deal I think would be a Saturday. So given the roundabout guestimates on incoming miles. SO's could be possible. There is all them touristy shoppie things in Berlin. If ya got the 'franken-bolts' strap a rocking chair on it and stack yer SO on top. That should cut the touristy spendin'-just don't mention UPS.

Millersburg central. Should I talk to the Hotel and get a meeting room? Ya want a street blocked off to park bikes? I can always ask. Who knows they might fall for it! Or hunt up a park like location and we can burn stuff on our own?

Let us see some numbers and food thoughts. Routes while yer here? Think cloverleaf. Out and back to central, then another loop if ya choose. I look at connecting all loops in some sorta fashion for Iron-butts. There ya go a "Plan". Longest straight-away is 3/4 of a mile. So mostly turns and hills with three or four towns.

Jump in!

Wow Greg, you really want to turn this into something huge- blocking off streets for us. I don't like that kind of attention. Low-key, my friend, low key.

I def. would do another ride through Coshocton and thereabouts, but I think I'd have more fun without a passenger this time.

Nah, jus' not thinkin' a town would do a nicey like that. BUT, I'll check, if folks wanna. Remember the home base is just that...just a place to kick up yer feet and think on stuff or chit-chat.

Sept was a shout...uh, Labor Day weekend? It'll be here soon. Gives an extra day to recoup? Pick some days and it'll get laid out.

Kawi Kid has his map copy by now. Shout out. Gimme a Saturday, this month? Sept.? October? 1st weekend is a Fall festival in Millersburg, So lotsa tourists, Fair food, not like kinda good to fair, but "Fair" as in greasy fairfood. Keep stuff rollin' in. This can happen.

JRMMiii, so a woodsy spot along the ribba and chop trees down for the campfire?

Update: Just in from a check out ride on one loop (but in the car) and 62.5 miles on this loop. My first choice.

Lost the stopwatch five minutes out (Mags: 4 minutes, 13 seconds, point 3). Well, not lost, musta banged against console and stopped.

AND another frickin' deer on a blind 90! He/she scampered up the bank and away. Maybe I'd better get a big deep freeze!

Ya know what? I'm ready! Pick yer day for the social. Sept. was Scmuckgirl's suggestion and works for me! Sept. which? PM's start now!

Back Woods Tour/ The Outback Snak: It's on for August 30th, Saturday. Meet time in my local 11AM. Col. and Cleve, that' d be sleep in and leave at 9 AM and a grand two hours to be here at 11. Three road samples for your future ride outing plans. Expect to wrap up at 5PM and gives ya a daylight return to yer homes.

Let me know on confirmations. Looks like 5 or 6 right now. In the finest "Fonzie" tradition there are the scenic places to add to your photo album.

Yer in, folks. Just be here. I'll PM ya with rough directions down to area, enjoy the ride.

Sam, have fun, although I hear they are policing the Dragon a lil' more intently. Just don't add no bits to the tree sculpture. Lotsa places in mtns. of CA are fun.