Any army guys here?

launchin1st

i have a few questions from a friend of mine.

we all the local reciuter will lie his ass off for the bonus.

please pm so i can ask some questions to someone on active duty or has been overseas.

i have a friend thats wants to join.

thanks

tony

well, first he wants combat, infantry to sniper school.

he scored very high on the aptitude tests for both army and marines, but i think he will go army.

now the question, how hard is it to transfer from infantry to some other unit in the future. maybe 4 or 5 years.

the recriuters say its hard to, but the guys we know who are back from iraq and afganistan say other wise.

i believe he wants to go to intelligence.

and 2nd, can you request afganistan. the reiuter said yes, but somehow i think he is lying.

i will ask more later on, as i forgot some of them.

thanks

tony

Guest THE AMC BOYZ

he scored very high on the aptitude tests for both army and marines, but i think he will go army.

now the question, how hard is it to transfer from infantry to some other unit in the future. maybe 4 or 5 years.

the recriuters say its hard to, but the guys we know who are back from iraq and afganistan say other wise.

and 2nd, can you request afganistan. the reiuter said yes, but somehow i think he is lying.

thanks

tony

When you sign on the dotted line you are infantry and can be sent to fight anywhere, what u take up as a career in the army is secondary, if your one of the top guys in your field you might get to perform that at war time, if not your infantry.

Remember your there to protect this country, job training and career outlook are secondary. It can be a very good and life changing exprience. tell him to be carefull keep is head up and be mentally tough, and he will be fine, and after his 4 years is up he can decide if he wants to re'up and be a millitary man for life. Sometimes i wish id stayed in, i would be retiring in my mid 40s.

And as far as transfering to do something else after his first 4 years i dont think it should be a problem, before he re'ups tell him to talk to guys thats been there done that.

thanks

tony

Tony,

Send me a PM or email and I can talk for hours about it.

What are his career plans and goals in life? If he scored so high on the test WHY is he looking at Infantry?

As far as deployed locations, you can volunteer for them but chances are not good. YOU GO WHERE THEY NEED YOU NOT WHERE "YOU" WANT!

Does he have any family or plan to? He really needs to think long and hard what he wants in life. I'm coming up on 8-years and won't re-enlist. It's just not worth it to me anymore and our bonus is $90k.

Josh :cool:

If you were to sign up, what are your chances of going to shoot at people and being shot at?

We all know what the media says, looking for some firsthand info.

If your talking about Infantry? garanteed if your deployed to a combat zone. My best friend is a combat engineer (21E, correct me if im wrong) and going to sapper school this year. Just so you know, combat engineer is like one step above infantry. If he gets deployed he will definitly be shot at and do alot of shooting back. Lustalbert is a sapper (or at least it says so in his sig) he'd be able to explain sapper/combat engineering better.

I was suppose to go in with my friend under the 'buddy system', had they not found out i had a family history of heart disease i'd be wearing a uniform today. I know of plenty of guys who are a hell of alot less healthy than i was at that time who have been or are in the armed forces. I just regret telling the truth.

Launchinin1st: tell your friend he might want to look at an MOS with more training and that has some sort of civilian counterpart job. Even if he says in the army he can always switch his MOS to something more exciting, but if he doesnt like it at least he can walk away with some sort of training that he can apply to the outside world.

holy shit what branch are you in? Ours in 15 grand now and maybe 20k in october. If ours was 90k I would reenlist, but it's a tough choice right now..

US Air Force, Air Traffic Control! I previously capped it out at $60k and they just raised the cap to $90k. It still isn't worth it considering what you make on the outside.

The biggest thing for me is family. I just got married last July and am deployed again over our 1-yr anniversary. It sucks big time and I'm not going to do it once we start a family. I won't miss child births or birthday's and other important times of the year with them growing up.

I just don't see how these guys want to go back two and three times for a deployment for an extra $600 a month maybe $1k tops with tax free. Ya....the shit is fun when you are single and have nothing better to do but damn it gets old quick.

21B is the Combat Engineer MOS. It will depend on what unit he is attached to, and if he wants to go National Guard, or active Army. Active duty, you have alot better chance of getting into the shit right away.

National guard, you can join almost any unit in the 16th Engineer Brigade, then voulnteer to backfill into a deploying unit, and they sill snatch you up.

Sapper school is a 2 month supper 21B school. 1 month of classroom instruction, followed by 1 month of living in the woods. I wanted to go, but no longer met the requirements to attend. Damn knee.

21B is usefull, you will probably get cross trained on some of the heavy equipment. After a while, it is easy to get into the 21E MOS as an equipment operator. Upon getting out, apply with ODOT or any larger construction company, any start making overtime like mad all summer, 3 month vacation in the winter. Some construction unions count military time as time in the union, so you dont start out as low man on the union ladder.

ok this is actually the guy who wants to go.....

first, i scored an 80 out of 99, needing a 40 to join up, on the aptitude test....infantry is just what I want. not necessarily to be a grunt, sorry if anyone doesn't like that. more looking for sniper school, or perhaps enlisting with a ranger option, getting shipped to basic, then airborne, then ranger school. after that, going for SF or CAG is extremely high up my list, but, idk if I can do sniper school first then try for those, so if i happen to not make it i just roll back to sniper etc......not too intersted in being a combat engineer. although I know you would still see the same action. i am NOT concerned with the pay as I don't need the money.

• 1 year later...