What does a charcoal canister do?

Science Abuse

So mines totaly rusted out, destroyed, barely identifieable.

*Whats it do?

*Does it need replaced? Effects of not replacing it?

*3 lines go into, what are they?

*Is it simply a box'o'charcoal to control smell? Apart fromt eh 3 lines, does it need ventillated, or is it a sealed unit?

I have no idea wtf this thing is supposed to do.

How is it that the fuel vapor escapes the charcoal? Can I assume it's supposed to be a closed system?

Vapor is pulled when vacuum is applied through different purge valves; it's sucked out. (Not even sure what vehicle you're asking about).

Yes, it should be a closed system.

Excellend, thanks. Rather then hunt down another one, I may take it apon myself ot make one.

Hmm....wouldn't damage to this doohickey also effect idle? I've been chasing a problem, and it seemed to get slightly worse with the outright removal of the cannister remains.

Just gunna put a charcoal briquette in a tall beer can, duct tape the hoses into the mouth, and call it a day. :)

thats pretty funny. try plugging the vac lines too for temporary, or find another one from a junk yard. would this be on a benz? most cars even from the 80s have plastic containers. hard to believe yours is metal.