Question about an ATV

99ta

I wasn't sure what section to post this in, so if the mods want to move thats fine. I have a 2000 400ex that I need fixed. Any one want to look at it for me? Here is the deal with it: The bike has always had a ticking sound to it, everyone said it was normal for the 400ex. The bike ran fine, until I was riding with my son (not riding hard), then that ticking became very loud. I parked the bike and looked to see if I could find anything visually. No luck. I try to retart it and it wouldn't start. So I do some research and pull the valve cover and determine that it was a broken timing chain tensioner. It would start due to being out of time! So I replace the tensioner and get it back in time or at least I think. Well it won't start. Turns over and pops some but won't fire up. Its getting gas and has spark. I don't have the means or the knowledge to figure this out. sounds like its still out of time but I am at a loss. I have tried so many times to get it in time with no luck. So is anyone willing to work on it for me? I will pay but I don't have a lot of money. Thanks.

Eric

FROM --> http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74529

get the T'mark on the flywheel lined up, on the cam sprocket there is 3 lines, the middle line should be facing at a 90 degree angle from the flat part on the top of the head(where the head covor goes on) and the 2 lines should be parallel with the flat part on the head. the cam lobes should be facing dirctly down. it can be a small amount off but if you can move the chain over one and its closer, get it as close as you can.

put the chain tensioner and recheck your work good luck.

if you feel like bringing it to columbus i can get it back and running properly. that is if you dont feel like messsing with it anymore. i love honda atv's none better ( that is what my screen name is about) ride red or go home. anyway call me some time 614 496 4969 i am very familiar with the hondas

if you feel like bringing it to columbus i can get it back and running properly. that is if you dont feel like messsing with it anymore. i love honda atv's none better ( that is what my screen name is about) ride red or go home. anyway call me some time 614 496 4969 i am very familiar with the hondas

Cool...I had all intentions of bringing it up to columbus. I will defenatly be calling you soon. I am waiting on a car to sell so I have some money to get it fixed. But it will be soon. Thanks man!

Eric