E46 BMW M3 Possiable clutch issues....

grease monkey

Does anyone know if these have a "foreward adjusting" clutch like the LS1's???? My neighbor who is like a 2nd mother to me owns a 2006 M3 with a 6 speed manual transmission. And has been having a lot of trouble out of it. At first the transmission felt like it was binding between gears, and was difficult to shift. Then she was driving one day and clutch was smoking and the car was VERY difficult to shift. Took to BMW cause it's still under warrenty and they replaced the cluch disk, pressure plate, throwout bering and the flywheel.

Car was just fine for a couple of days and now it's starting to act up again. She's afraid to take it back to the dealer at this point because when the car was originally acting up, they said it was fine. The only time they did anything when the fucking thing went completely to shit.

I drove a car a little this evening and can verify all of her complaints. As well as when under full load at redline I was unable to go from 2nd gear to 3rd. The shifter simply would not move into 3rd gear until the rpms were lower and then it clunked, and felt like it was binding. This is not an intermittent problem either as I could feel it each time I shifted. 4 to 5 and 5 to 6 seem to do alright, but theres still a little resistence in the shifter.

I'm very confident in my driving as well as hers, so do not believe that the problem is with the way the vehicle is being driven. I believe it to be related to the clutch assyembly, and if it is in fact a "foreward adjusting" unit I feel that it may be malfunctioning. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Rick

MAG just put a friggin clutch in it. It just seems really stupid me, it a fucking 55-60K car, and the goddamned clutch is causeing all these problems. I did some research and found that the clutch is a self adjusting unit. Why would they use that in a car that is so scrutinized over??? The normal clutch units work just fine, why fuck with it!?!?!? I'm sure that the problems are being caused by this over-engineered piece of shit clutch. And of course BMW is probally not going to want to fix it correctly, they are going to want to replace shit, with more shit. what a fucking joke. I am VERY dissappionted. Honestly, how much money do you need to spend to get a decently engineered machine??? What a bunch of fucking morons.