DAMN good TV deal at Circuit City

Nitrousbird

Went to CC at lunch. Funny thing is the guy I talked to there about this TV is here on CR. Sorry Brandon, I don't remember your screen name. Anyway, He hooked me up with the right info I needed to know to make an informed purchase. I will be waiting till after Labor Day and then going back to see Brandon.

I have 1080i, 480p and 720p for around a grand, a 99 inch screen that will be a 27 foot screen during the osu texas game. projectors are win.

I HATE projectors. They are great for dark rooms...and I normally don't watch TV in the dark. I've yet to see one that looks good in a decently lit room, even when the owners of said projecter says it looks good.

You must like old technology. I'm surprised you can still buy a 250lb+ big screen these days.

1080P Owns all....

I care about how the TV looks, not what "fancy technology" it has behind it. If it looks good as a CRT (and I've seen a number of CRT TV's that look better than some DLP/LCD projection TV's). Who cares how much the TV weighs. I mean really, how often are you moving your TV around where you'd have to pick it up? It could weigh 400lbs for all I care. Where are all the DLP/LCD TV's in this size going for anywhere NEAR this price? We'll see what happens after labor day, but I bet it won't be as cheap as most of you are hoping for.

1080p. Unless you are using it as a PC moniter w/ a good graphics card, that's not really of any benefit. Highest HD resolution is 1080i, anything DVD is just upscaled, so no benefit there. Even then, I doubt you'll be seeing much of a difference.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen plenty of crappy looking CRT TV's (RCA's come to mind). I've also seen some really poor looking LCD and Plasmas as well.

As for other TV features, people get sold on some BS. Cable Card slots? Yeah, cable cards SUCK, don't get one. Multiple HDMI inputs? You shouldn't be getting a TV like this without having a decent stereo receivor, and anything decent made today has HDMI inputs/outputs, so you only need one on the TV.

Went to CC at lunch. Funny thing is the guy I talked to there about this TV is here on CR. Sorry Brandon, I don't remember your screen name. Anyway, He hooked me up with the right info I needed to know to make an informed purchase. I will be waiting till after Labor Day and then going back to see Brandon.

Mr. Wright

Word to the wise. Those 65" tv's fit into nothing but a truck. People attempt to throw them in their suv's. :rolls eyes:

That is old technology though. You'd be better getting a dlp, lcd, or plasma.

Old technology or no - until you can feed it a better signal than is available today, you're wasting your money.

My 3 year old 65" 1080i rear projection Mitsubishi Medallion is as "old tech" as it gets, and it still kicks crisp clear ass and its still overkill for anything anyone can feed into it: dvd, hdtv, game input, blueray, hddvd, you name it. Keep the guns aligned ( a 6yr can do it) keep the screen cleaned (needed for any tech tv) and it'll continue to look great.

LCDs and Plasmas are for fools who want to spend money while forgetting to look at the whole package (and that whole package includes the input's limitations).

The *only* time I'd look at one of those overpriced, un-time-proven techs is if for some reason I had a room consideration that 1) forced odd viewing angles, or 2) really tight space limitations for depth. Everyone else just drank the store salesmen's koolaid. (Although I'd seriously consider projectors, if it weren't for the bulbheat stench).

The 65" Is waaaaay more TV than I was looking for to begin with. I'm only 7' - 10' from the TV the way my living room is setup. I'm leaning toward the DLP ot LCD at this time. I'm not expecting to see more than a 5% drop in price after Labor Day. In my mind, that just covers tax anyway. I'm glad this was posted though. I've been meaning to look into this more and just haven't.

I have the 52" of that, I got it on sale back in feb for about $1000 even. I love it. You just have to make sure you are running digital cable and at least RGB cables through it or it looks really grainy.

I have the 52" of that, I got it on sale back in feb for about $1000 even. I love it. You just have to make sure you are running digital cable and at least RGB cables through it or it looks really grainy.

Good point on the digital cable. I have no plans of getting digital cable. I simply do not watch enough TV for me to justify the cost. Regular cable covers my needs. I just want something that is clean when I watch a movie or turn on the XBOX. Thanks, to those who have posted the info in this thread.

Regular cable covers my needs.

qft. It's rather sad that I spend $40/mo to watch all of two channels: Sci-Fi and Cartoon Network. If *everything* is on first run, I think I watch maybe four hours total in any given week... the two Stargates, Galactica, Robot Chicken, and maybe Aqua Teen, Milk Chan, and Metalocalypse.

Old technology or no - until you can feed it a better signal than is available today, you're wasting your money.

My 3 year old 65" 1080i rear projection Mitsubishi Medallion is as "old tech" as it gets, and it still kicks crisp clear ass and its still overkill for anything anyone can feed into it: dvd, hdtv, game input, blueray, hddvd, you name it. Keep the guns aligned ( a 6yr can do it) keep the screen cleaned (needed for any tech tv) and it'll continue to look great.

while i understand what your saying, i must say that 1080i blows imho!

720p is way better than 1080i, all your getting is two frames of 540 lines of resolution which is why when you see t.v's that showcase 1080i as their native resolution, there is NEVER support for 720p. it simply doesn't have 720 lines of resolution, only 540 lines, enough for 1080i and 480p.

plus hd/dvd and blueray will be 1080p, once again a 1080i display has NO ABILITY to play them at full resolution

but.......beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say, so...if it looks good to you that's all that matters

while i understand what your saying, i must say that 1080i blows imho!

720p is way better than 1080i, all your getting is two frames of 540 lines of resolution which is why when you see t.v's that showcase 1080i as their native resolution, there is NEVER support for 720p. it simply doesn't have 720 lines of resolution, only 540 lines, enough for 1080i and 480p.

plus hd/dvd and blueray will be 1080p, once again a 1080i display has NO ABILITY to play them at full resolution

but.......beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say, so...if it looks good to you that's all that matters

I won't argue that 1080p is head and shoulders above 1080i. Funny, my tv has 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i selections, though...

Heck, by the time the industry gets their heads out of their butts and settles down on a blueray/hddvd standard and the title libraries get big enough I'll look at buying a DLP. But thats going to be another 2-3 years easy minimum. By which time some plasmas will have started fading, projection owners will be on their 3rd, 4th bulb, or so, and LCDs will have a good collection of dead pixels to enjoy. Then I'll buy a larger screen for less $ with more features. :)

All the while enjoying my 65" of bigscreen that is overkill for any current feeds that I can put into it.

EDIT: that came off too sanctimonious. My point only is that Mojoe and Nitrous aren't necessarily shooting themselves in the foot looking at these "old tech" TVs simply because nobody (or few) can use the capabilities of the new stuff. Japan and europe(?) "need" these display capabilities today because they have feeds that support them. The US and dvd industry isnt there yet, imo.

1080p is the best, there are twice the pixels, but its not sensible right now, as there is zero sources besides blue ray that will play a true 1080p signal. But heres the catch on those 1080p sets, they have an upconversion process to bump up a regular 720p picture which is standard to around the 850 to 900p range, so inessence if you take a regular 1080p set and sit it beside a 720p set and you feed the same feed to both the 1080p set WILL look better hands down.

On to this tv, it has a decent picture with crude displating technology, those screen have the worst viewing angles, and do poorly in heavily lit areas, and the plasmas WILL out last the crt sets, they have 60,000 hour half lifes, wheres are crts are only around 40-50 thousand. Plamsa is nothing to fear other then high repair costs, it has the best picture besides the 1080p sets.

(the bulbs for dlp and lcd projection units are 200-300 $)

If anyone wants a slighty better deal on TV's come see me at the polairs circuitcity, i dont work on commission but we have everything, and I will get you a better deal then joe blow, and I will let you know all you wish to know!

I just want a LCD 20inch HD ready tv that I can hang on my wall in our bedroom for under $400. We watch a 13 inch RCA 4:3 that doesn't have a remote.(we have to get up to turn the channel) so a 20" HDTV would be a HUGE improvement! We alread have a nice Samsung HD TV downstairs for our home theater.

We have i a sylvania 20in LCD here for 3 something.

As for your time warner broadcast, you can switch the output resolution on the box from 1080i to 720p via the menu for the box, or a manual swich on the back of the box. An you are correct there is nothing broadcasted in 1080p resoultion via providers, only hard drives and blue ray.

Side note even though we pretend the 1080p stuff we have here in our store is 1080p it is not, because HDMI cables max resolutions are around 1000p lines, toil that!

We have i a sylvania 20in LCD here for 3 something.

As for your time warner broadcast, you can switch the output resolution on the box from 1080i to 720p via the menu for the box, or a manual swich on the back of the box. An you are correct there is nothing broadcasted in 1080p resoultion via providers, only hard drives and blue ray.

Side note even though we pretend the 1080p stuff we have here in our store is 1080p it is not, because HDMI cables max resolutions are around 1000p lines, toil that!

Not Time warner, Insight, and no 720P is not an option that works on a insight box. You get to choose from 480p or 1080i is the only two that come through and not let you look at a blank screen. You change the setting with the cable box off through the menu button for insight, I have tried to see 720p on espn but to no avail.