BB chevy??

MPs350Z

hey, Im lookin for alittle help from someone who knows about older chevys. Im lookin into buying a BB and I found one in a 1980 truck.... its a big ass truck, it has a crain on it and an alison transmission... i can tell that its a BB but im not sure if its a 454 or wat I have the VIN is there any way to tell by that.... your help will be greatly appreciated.

Guest tiresmoker
hey, Im lookin for alittle help from someone who knows about older chevys. Im lookin into buying a BB and I found one in a 1980 truck.... its a big ass truck, it has a crain on it and an alison transmission... i can tell that its a BB but im not sure if its a 454 or wat I have the VIN is there any way to tell by that.... your help will be greatly appreciated.

It should be a 454...that's the only big block they were still installing in trucks in 80..it would be very low perf though...

No, Definatly going old school. Not sure what it will go into yet, my top 3 is a 1st Gen Camaro, 67NovaSS, or an old truck, Im trying to make this a project for my father and I, since Ive been in Iraq for a year. Not tryin to make an all out drag car, but we all know how that usually turns out... Im not workin on a huge budget but Im tryin to get as many inches as possible, so that probably means boring and stroking... Definatly N/A.... hey but Im open to suggestions :p

i dont know if you missunderstood when you first were asked about the ls6 or not but i think he was talking about 1970 ls6 454 that was rated 500hp. i dont think he was refering to todays sb ls6. you may know what he meant but i saw you replied as no im going old school. ive had a few so i hope this makes sense.

i dont know if you missunderstood when you first were asked about the ls6 or not but i think he was talking about 1970 ls6 454 that was rated 500hp. i dont think he was refering to todays sb ls6.

Thank you for the clarification even if he knew. I figured it was something like that, but I was a little confused as I don't as much about older cars/engines.

If you end up with this truck let me know. I may be interested in the rest of the truck and the allison trannie.

As far as the 454, there were two 454 motors, one was the car 454 and the other was a tall deck 454 truck motor. The tall deck shared the same block as the 366 and measured 10.2 deck height as opposed to the 9.8 of the car motor. Now the 454 tall deck was designed to have pistons with an extra compression ring. There are performance parts for these motors, and they are preferred for strocker motors with big displacements, in fact the Chevy GMPP bowtie block is a tall deck. But you need to know what you have when buying connecting rods and push rods.

This may be the motor in your truck, it may not. I had an 87 454 out of a 1 ton that was a 70's HI-PAS (high performance passenger) block. short deck, but was designed for performance use. Chevy will trick you and put all sorts of things in passenger vehicles to get them down the assembly line and install things they have 'extra' as opposed to scrapping them. Which explains the 70's block in the 87 truck complete with shit peanut port truck heads.

See if you can get the casting number off the side of the block. There are several web sites that you can use to cross reference it.

Get ahold of me (989-2459) if you have questions or want help looking at this truck.

i dont know if you missunderstood when you first were asked about the ls6 or not but i think he was talking about 1970 ls6 454 that was rated 500hp. i dont think he was refering to todays sb ls6. you may know what he meant but i saw you replied as no im going old school. ive had a few so i hope this makes sense.

Correct, I was referring to the old LS6 motor; so, how is that search coming z man?

Hmmmm I found a few 454's kinda hard to come by... I posted a thread in The Passing Lane called Too Good To Be True?, check it out see what u think..deserado umm I dont have the truck but If you are interested let me know I can hook you up with the guy I was talkin to... Im sure he'll sell it, its just sitting at his shop. And as far as how much I wanna spend... well most that Ive found were around $700 for the engine and $300 for the tranny. Id like to stay alittle below that but it just depends on what kinda shape the block is in..thanks for all your help

As far as the truck, I was thinking that if you were going to be buying the whole thing and pulling the motor we could work something out for a trannie and some cash for it. I was honestly looking for a deal and to help you along in your project.

As far as a motor, if you are looking for just a block Rolla should have one. Unless you know of a cummins pickup motor around. I would be willing to swap the 454 I have in my 1 ton for it. I also will talk to a buddy of mine that just did a swap on is suburban from a 454 to a 6BT cummins. I know he put a cam and reworked the heads on the 454 and started having problems keeping trannies in it (blew 3 400 Turbos before her went to a NV4500 5 speed manual) I will see if he wants to part with it.

great any help you can give me as far as the block would be great... and Im still looking for a tranny. Just let me know what you dind I really appreciate all your efforts. If you are just interested in the tranny I think he wants like $400 for it. thanks again man

As far as a tranie, I am going to have a 350 turbo that was redone. Second gear is not all hardened parts and the passages were all drilled and chamfered for better flow and engagement. Even with light throttle pressure it would bark the tires from first to second with a 350 and a 2000 RPM convertor because it shifted so hard. It is basically a race trannie that still has an automatic valve body in it. If you are interested let me know. I am pulling it from my camaro because I have another 350 with a transbrake and manual valve body with a 4000 stall convertor to go in it.