turbo 350 stall coverter question

78 malibu

the guy who rebuilt my my trans said the part that the tourqe converter rides in the pump sheered off.he told me because im running a stall,i might have to shim the tourqe converter to get it further back into trans to keep this from happening again.has anybody ever heard of this before?

i've heard of putting shims between the flex plate and crankshaft. its more for when you refinish a flywheel to make up the difference for the clutch but i don't see why it would hurt to do it to a flex plate aslong as the converter isn't too far into the transmission. you can get shims from columbus joint and clutch and maybe napa.

Yes the converter needs to slide in to the trannie until it bottoms out and then only pull back out an 1/8 inch or less. Take a look at the pump drive ears on the convertor and you will see how small the drive area is.

When you run a high stall convertor, typically you are also running a shift kit the increases pump pressure and that is what tears them up.

There are hardened spacers that Jegs carries that can be used between the flex plate and the convertor mount ears or a stack of HARDENED GRADE 8 flat washers can be used. DO NOT USE CHEAP WASHERS!!! If you use soft washers, grade 5 or below, they will deform under load, cock the convertor and eat the front pump seal out of the trannie.

Guest Removed

and use grade 8 bolts or studs! you can buy flywheel shims at jegs!

they come in .030 thickness's(.030,.060,.090) for when running a midplate..do you have a midplate on this?