Its good to be alive

wnaplay1647545503

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allright, allright. As some of you may know I cut concrete for a living. I was wrapping up cutting a 10'x10' opening 5' above the ground for a new dock door. I was on 2 of 2 bucks of scaffolding with saw in hand. I had 1 guy below cleaning up. Out of the corner of my eye I catch a glimpse of the door starting to tip out. I had 1 of 2 choices either tryto hold in place a 7000lb piece of concrete from tipping over while standing on scaffolding with wheels on it, or jump. So Obviously I yelled repeatedly for the guy below to get out of the way, which he did, and I bailed. I landed on the ground just in time to barely see the piece mangle the scaffolding aroumd the back of my brand new truck. There, did it do anything for ya?

Allright, allright. As some of you may know I cut concrete for a living. I was wrapping up cutting a 10'x10' opening 5' above the ground for a new dock door. I was on 2 of 2 bucks of scaffolding with saw in hand. I had 1 guy below cleaning up. Out of the corner of my eye I catch a glimpse of the door starting to tip out. I had 1 of 2 choices either tryto hold in place a 7000lb piece of concrete from tipping over while standing on scaffolding with wheels on it, or jump. So Obviously I yelled repeatedly for the guy below to get out of the way, which he did, and I bailed. I landed on the ground just in time to barely see the piece mangle the scaffolding aroumd the back of my brand new truck. There, did it do anything for ya?

Glad you're okay.

What did you actually plan to do once you cut through the concrete?

Failure to plan is a plan to fail.

What typically happens is we strap the piece in place until it is ready to be removed. Which I did, but someone opened a door on the opposite side of the building, creating negative pressure, thus pushing it out. I was in the process of strapping it more securely.

Seriously dude, it is good that you didn't get smushed. The best thing to do is use this as an educational tool and make sure you got it covered next time.

In the submarine force there are plenty of safety rules that have been put into place because of dead sailors.

While I am glad you didn't get smushed, you're right it wasn't that exciting.

Concrete cutting excitement is using a diamond wheel and finding a 600 AMP 480 service line in the floor. I was 10 feet away and watched the guy reach for the machine as the fire started flying and the building shook. The fuse blew before he got to the machine, luckly for him.

Again glad you are ok though, I prefer hearing from you and not about you. BTW, are you guys putting anyone on right now? I have a friend tht use to cut concrete that's between jobs right now. PM me or call me at 989-2459 if you have any leads, and no it's not the same guy that cut the 480 service.