Tell me about the Sky Redline

MrMeanGreen

I thought the motors were pretty much the same in the turbo cobalt, but I could be wrong. I do like them more than the Solstice. I really like the interiors, as well. The 5speed auto is also a tick faster than the manual. If you know anything about turbo cars w/autos, you know why. Also, there is a place who does a motor swap on them. Let me see if I can find it.

Here it is:

http://www.mallettcars.com/

Link is on the left. I'm sure many of you are familiar with Mallett.

Also, a couple other helpful links.

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/0609_2007_saturn_sky_red_line_dyno/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_Sky

I'm a Saturn technician at Saturn West in Hilliard. We've only had one Redline Sky go through delivery so far and it was already sold so none of us have been able to drive it. :-\ I have heard that they have a common ticking noise from the factory, also all Sky's have a driveline clunk in the transmission while shifting which is "normal characteristics of the vehicle." The car is so new that our computer haven't been totally updated, I'll check to see if there are any major problems with them in our database right now when I get to work. Good luck getting one though, we have a 70 person waiting list still I believe to get a Sky.

LOL - no kidding, when I first read this, I thought you said, "Tell me about the Red Skyline." I'm like, "Anthony's thinking about a Skyline? And WTF does it being red have anything to do with it?"

Dyslexia > me.

Anyway, sorry Anthony, I have nothing to add about the car your really interested in.

The only thing I've seen so far with problem to the Redline Sky in our database is a problem with the fuel injector connectors. Seems they become loose and you have to replace the terminals. Other than that, just a few water leaks from the convertible top concerns. The regular Sky's are fun little cars, I'm willing to bet the Redline are even better. If you want to get one let me know and I can recommend you so I can get a $75 bonus. ;-) haha They are just those little Saab motors 2.0L turbo, same thing as the 9 3 turbo. Just a little more power.

The only thing I've seen so far with problem to the Redline Sky in our database is a problem with the fuel injector connectors. Seems they become loose and you have to replace the terminals. Other than that, just a few water leaks from the convertible top concerns. The regular Sky's are fun little cars, I'm willing to bet the Redline are even better. If you want to get one let me know and I can recommend you so I can get a $75 bonus. ;-) haha They are just those little Saab motors 2.0L turbo, same thing as the 9 3 turbo. Just a little more power.

No it is not a Saab 9-3 engine, and OBGYN, there is currently no such thing as a turbo Coblat.

The engine is all new, it's a direct injection 2.0L turbo putting out a rated 260HP/260 ft-lbs. The torque curve is completely flat from 2000 rpm to redline. The redline on the engine is 6200rpm, which is where you make peak power. A friend of mine drove one and he said the acceleration was lackluster. He thought that when it finally started to pull it was time to shift. Although, he has a 400 HP DSM as his daily, and people on the forums seem to think they're the fastet thing on the road.

They are barely mod-able at this point. A cat back exhaust yielded them a 20 WHP gain. But larger injectors are not avalable, and they are somewhat maxed out from the factory. There is a set of cams coming out that modifies the fuel pump function, but I am leary of these. The pump was not ment to run that fast.

I've heard some "rumors" though, and if you want the factory turbo that's more mod-able, then you'll want to wait a year or two.

Or, you could buy a base Sky and put an aftermarket turbo kit on it, possibly build a motor in the process if you want more power then the Redline will give you. There are a few aftermarket turbo kits for the car, including one from a company that I am part owner in. I'm sure JP will chime in too, Shearer Fab is working on a kit as well.

Anthony, I have a pretty good knowledge of the car. Ask me anything and I'll answer what I'm allowed to.

Lol, no. I only have four vehicles at the moment :)

I'm looking at one for a daily, but wondering the "tweaks" available since it's turboed. I'd like to see 12s and some badass road course work while maintaining reliability and the factory warranty.

Also, the car will probably be used for the price fact and the wait list right now. I actually have about ten different vehicles I'm debating on, but I've always had an eye on this and will buy one if I can get it.

No it is not a Saab 9-3 engine, and OBGYN, there is currently no such thing as a turbo Coblat.

The engine is all new, it's a direct injection 2.0L turbo putting out a rated 260HP/260 ft-lbs. The torque curve is completely flat from 2000 rpm to redline. The redline on the engine is 6200rpm, which is where you make peak power. A friend of mine drove one and he said the acceleration was lackluster. He thought that when it finally started to pull it was time to shift. Although, he has a 400 HP DSM as his daily, and people on the forums seem to think they're the fastet thing on the road.

They are barely mod-able at this point. A cat back exhaust yielded them a 20 WHP gain. But larger injectors are not avalable, and they are somewhat maxed out from the factory. There is a set of cams coming out that modifies the fuel pump function, but I am leary of these. The pump was not ment to run that fast.

I've heard some "rumors" though, and if you want the factory turbo that's more mod-able, then you'll want to wait a year or two.

Or, you could buy a base Sky and put an aftermarket turbo kit on it, possibly build a motor in the process if you want more power then the Redline will give you. There are a few aftermarket turbo kits for the car, including one from a company that I am part owner in. I'm sure JP will chime in too, Shearer Fab is working on a kit as well.

Anthony, I have a pretty good knowledge of the car. Ask me anything and I'll answer what I'm allowed to.

Sorry, forgot it was supercharged. But it is an Ecotec motor. Or is it different in the Red Line?

I've heard times of 0-60 from 5.2-5.5sec and 1/4mi around 14 flat.

I remember when Saturn North got their first Sky. Did they fix the problem where you couldn't open the doors when the hood was up? Or close the doors when the hood is up?

I remember that one of techs opened the hood when someone was in it and they got out and crunched the corners of the hood.

Anthony, do you think you'll even FIT in a Sky. I realize you are a couple inches shorter than me, and now amazingly lighter as well.

I sat in a Solstice a few weeks ago, and there is no way I could own one. With the seat all the way back, my knees still hit the dash. The top was down, but seeing where my head was in relation to the windshield, I could tell my head would be resting on the top when it was up. It was more cramped than a 1st Gen SLK I drove (which my head was also sitting against the roof).

It's still a Saab engineered motor, it's a 2.0L turbo, similar to a 9 3 turbo. I didn't mean it's the exact same motor. All those ECOTECH motors were engineered by Saab.

Nope, which is probably a good idea. Phil needs to come visit Columbus with his :D

Again, I'm weighing options. If that doesn't pan out, I'm looking at the LS2 GTOs after driving Jerrad's a few weeks ago. I do have this thing for torque as well, I wonder if they can showhorn the LSX in a Sky? :D

It's still a Saab engineered motor, it's a 2.0L turbo, similar to a 9 3 turbo. I didn't mean it's the exact same motor. All those ECOTECH motors were engineered by Saab.

Read the bottom of this page -> ECOTEC

Add to that, the entire fuel system (pump, injectors, rail), ECU, all the engine calibration, and sensorics assiciated with the engine was all done at Bosch, just outside Detroit.

Anthony - 12's with reliability and a factory warrenty is not possible at this time. The only alternative is the aftermarket, and that can be risky to your warrenty.

There are a few people doing LSx conversions, V8 Archie, Werks Performance, Mallett...

I will possibly be driving it home over Christmas if you want to try fitment.

OBGYN - The head, intake/exhaust manifold, fuel system, rods, pistons, and possibly some machining on the block (oil squirters) are all different from the Cobalt engine. The block starts in the factory the same as any other Gen II Ecotec though.

snredrum - That "problem" only exists if the doors are partially open (i believe) and I've never heard of a problem on the way up, it's when closing. I have closed my hood with the doors open with no problem, but they were all the way open.