Tell me about the Sky Redline

MrMeanGreen

I have heard that they have a common ticking noise from the factory

Also to add, the ticking noise is normal and due to the engine being direct injection. The noise is from the pump and injectors. Almost sounds like a quiet diesel at idle. Some guys with GXP's claim they can't notice it after the car warms up...I have my doubts. But there is nothing wrong with the car because of this noise.

As far as I know, it runs low 14's and does 0-60 in just under 6 seconds IIRC. GM developed a dual-scroll turbo with variable valve timing to keep the turbo primed and prevent lag.

I'm impressed with the cars Saturn is putting out these days. The Aura looks like a damn nice car too, inside and out. Much better than Pontiac's G6.

I'd love to have one. The Saturn does look better than the Pontiac IMO....they have a nice lineup of cars now too....looks wise compared to past years.

If I had a sky I'd never have the top up. Used to have a Cutlass Convert. back in the day and it was never up. Sold it to a customer and her OH plate then read "Sky View"..........bet should could sell that on ebay now for a few bucks ;)

Guest StealthECOtec
I do like it better than the solstice, but i dont think I'd ever buy one if i was in the market for a roadster. I think i'd be more likely to by an S2000 and boost it.

I do like it better than the solstice, but i dont think I'd ever buy one if i was in the market for a roadster. I think i'd be more likely to by an S2000 and boost it.

I had a friend ride in my car that has been in a few S2000's and he liked my interior better. He thought he had more room and liked the look of the dash better. Personally I like the S2000 seats, but mine aren't bad either. Also, S2000's tend to break rear differentials at a certain power level. So far the Sky has shown no weak driveline piece, but the diffs from a CTS-V and STS-V are a direct bolt in swap.

Nope, which is probably a good idea. Phil needs to come visit Columbus with his :D

Again, I'm weighing options. If that doesn't pan out, I'm looking at the LS2 GTOs after driving Jerrad's a few weeks ago. I do have this thing for torque as well, I wonder if they can showhorn the LSX in a Sky? :D

Shave the exhaust manifolds and fabricate lines + mounts. Interfacing the IP cluster is a different story.

Nate

Guest StealthECOtec
I had a friend ride in my car that has been in a few S2000's and he liked my interior better. He thought he had more room and liked the look of the dash better. Personally I like the S2000 seats, but mine aren't bad either. Also, S2000's tend to break rear differentials at a certain power level. So far the Sky has shown no weak driveline piece, but the diffs from a CTS-V and STS-V are a direct bolt in swap.

yeah this is true. I have a friend with an 04 S2000 and i admit its a tight fit. I'm small too, only about 150lbs, and i still feel cramped in it. I've never been in the Sky to know how the room is. And from what i hear, you're right about the rear diffs. He'll only run me from a roll or on a road coarse because he's afraid of screwing up the diff from a dig.

Guest Viruskb
I have driven both the s2000 and the non-redline sky. I personally liked the s2000 much better. It felt so much more connected to the road. Then again dont plan on taking your coat off or picking up that fry (good luck getting that box of fries in the car to begin with) you dropped on the floor cause unless you're a chick it aint happening. The sky looks hot but the N/A version i drove had some slop in shifter while the s2000 is top notch. Either way they are both small as hell. I say go for the fat mans vette (gto) no bias here;) I was fat then I lost 50lbs and became skinny as hell just like you... but then they came out with starbucks and chipotle:grin2:. I'm just saying you never know what could happen.:)

Nope, which is probably a good idea. Phil needs to come visit Columbus with his :D

Again, I'm weighing options. If that doesn't pan out, I'm looking at the LS2 GTOs after driving Jerrad's a few weeks ago. I do have this thing for torque as well, I wonder if they can showhorn the LSX in a Sky? :D

That's what this place is about.

http://www.mallettcars.com/

I gave you this link a page back. Click on things people give you, dammit! :wtf:

The Honda S2000 is about 6,000 more than a Sky 0- it better seem a lot nicer!

The Redline version of the Sky will definitely eat up some of that difference but the S2000 is still a more expensive car by a few thousand dollars.

That being said I will throw my vote in for a GTO or an Infiniti G35 coupe. I think the G35 is one of the best looking cars on the road.

The Honda S2000 is about 6,000 more than a Sky 0- it better seem a lot nicer!

The Redline version of the Sky will definitely eat up some of that difference but the S2000 is still a more expensive car by a few thousand dollars.

That being said I will throw my vote in for a GTO or an Infiniti G35 coupe. I think the G35 is one of the best looking cars on the road.

The G35 is beautiful car, much more so than the 350 imo, but from the couple people I know who've owned them, they were unhappy with the quality. It seemed to get kinda junky, so to speak. I don't think they're worth the money.

I got to drive the one Solstice GXP (same car as the SKY Redline) we have at Dan Tobin the other day. All I have to say is WOW! The one we have in stock is the 5A and I figured that I would hate it not being a manual. It proved me wrong. I don't consider myself an expert when it comes to performance cars by any means, but it has to be one of the best values for the money for a performance roadster under $35,000. I've driven S2000s, a Boxter S or two and both the Z3 and Z4 and none of them even come close. GM has hit a home run with the Sky Redline/Solstice GXP. I just hope they pump up the production on them so we don't have to keep telling customers no when they say they want to buy one.

Sorry Clay, I'm not a big fan of Corvettes. I'd rather have another LSX F-Body :)

I totally dig the concept and execution of the Sky Redline, but after having a Corvette with some sort of removable top (especially in Florida) I can't see why people would want anything else in the 2-seater category for under $25k!

Turbo ECOTEC is nice, but twin turbo LSx is even better. That fact being said, the latter is more easily achieved on the C5 platform. That's my stance. :)

Guest StealthECOtec
not trying to be biased or anything, but i think its cool that the ecotec is starting to get more attention. I remember when i had my 02 Cav (2.2 n/a slowest ecotec), nobody i talked to even knew what it was. Now its being remastered and boosted in some nice cars. I like the motors in the Solstice GXO and the Sky, but im not sure i like the exterior enough to purchase one. I admit if i had to choose between the two, i think the Sky is nicer looking.

Those guys are idiots.

A) The "poor latch design" that caused them to bend the hook several times requires you to leave the latch open when putting the top down. If you re-lock the latch handle when putting it down you can bend the hook. Who's dumb enough to lock it when putting it in the trunk? They even explain this to you when picking the car up.

B) These guys obviously used the car as a fleet vehicle to go to and from work in. That's not the intent of the car. When you buy a sports car, esp. a roadster, you buy it for the performance and fun, not to be practical. The same goes for what they think is a "harsh ride." The Sky has slightly different shock tuning then a Sol, but my car bumps exceptionally well. I would put the ride equal with my stock Mazdaspeed Protege. A performance car is not ment to ride like a Buick.

C) Lack of storage space?! See the rant above. You're not going to fit a large suit case in the trunk, but you can fit a lot of stuff in smaller bags. I fit a lot of stuff in it when I go to Columbus, and I dont even have the special fitted luggage. http://www.kappasphere.com/products/lifestyle/fitted_luggage/

D) Squeaks and rattles - I don't have any. The chassis is incredibly strong, it's the same construction as the Vette, the body panals are not load bearing, there is a hydroformed steel space frame. This adds more weight then a Miata, but the structure is incredibly rigid and no torsional rigidity is lost by removing the top. IMO, I expect my car to have less noises in the future then a Miata because the body's not constantly twisting.

E) Interior fit and appearance - The Sky has a much nicer interior, one of the main reasons I bought it over the Sol. The Sol was created to meet a price point with good on track performance. The Sky is more polished because of the higher sticker.

F) Engine - The 2.4L engine is noisy. The Redline is a different engine.

G) They're idiots for paying over sticker.