Volvo guys, got a couple Q's

Dr. Apex

I've noticed in my search for a new daily driver some of the late 90's volvo turbo's and wagons are quite cheap now.

I've seen 2 850 wagons for about $5k and some sedans for cheaper. But the car in particular is I believe a 99 V70R going for $8k, the guy is being shipped to Japan and needs to sell it fast. I've been talking to him online for a while now and the guy seems ok so I hope to go take a look at the car real soon.

How reliable are these cars and what should I look out for??

How bout you give me his contact info and I''l go check it out for ya. ;)

Riiiight. I know they have a good reputation for being reliable, though I just went and looked at one and was dissapointed as the car was not it good shape, especially for a 95.

I have a 94 that I would sell cheap. It looks like new, runs great and everything works . Also if you need Volvo parts and can get by with used, Wirthman's has 5-6 850's at their lot.

I'm going to look at a car tomorrow, if it doesn't pan out I will get a hold of you about your car.

If you dont buy the car let me know.. the V70R is a great car.. its pre ford.. really good in reliability.. ive had my S40 for almost 2 years and it has to yet to be in the shop... knock on wood.. the only thing you need to check is eltricle switchs, and tranny.. That car is fast and very easy to make faster.. if my memory is correct its the 2.3HO turbo 5 cylinder.. you can easily bore it out to 2.5 and have yourself close to 300hp 300 trq.. if it dosent look beat on, pick it up great find..

ohh and check out for the recent service, Volvos 60K service and 90K service are great problem fixers.. costly to, so if there already done it would be a plus

If you dont buy the car let me know.. the V70R is a great car.. its pre ford.. really good in reliability.. ive had my S40 for almost 2 years and it has to yet to be in the shop... knock on wood.. the only thing you need to check is eltricle switchs, and tranny.. That car is fast and very easy to make faster.. if my memory is correct its the 2.3HO turbo 5 cylinder.. you can easily bore it out to 2.5 and have yourself close to 300hp 300 trq.. if it dosent look beat on, pick it up great find..

ohh and check out for the recent service, Volvos 60K service and 90K service are great problem fixers.. costly to, so if there already done it would be a plus

The guy sent me a short video of the exhaust on it, as it has a cat-back and a chip on the car. It sounds quite nice. Thanx for the advice, I'll be asking him about the service on it.

The Volvo 850's are a great car. We bought our 97 850 new at Byers and still love it. Currently, it has over 106k on the clock and runs great. The key is routinue maintenance and they should last to 300K before any major engine work. There are not too many shops that know Volvos, you have Byers or Segna and recently I found out about European Auto Works(Grandview). European Auto Works only works on Volvo's and their shop rate is much cheaper than Byers/Segna.

I hasve owned volvo's for 15 years.

At time of sale:

1963 P1800 378,000 miles

1981 262 Coupe 125,000 miles

1985 240 wagon 210,000 miles

1990 740 wagon 178,000 miles

1994 940 sedan 168,000 miles

1995 960 sedan 99,000 miles

2002 S40 sport sedan 60,000 miles (bought new still own)

Plus I worked at byers volvo for 4 years as their internet manager and training manager

The V70R from 1999 was one of the better years. Only real issues are the common 850 ones: heated seat switches going out, bulbs failing, seal for the oil return line likes to leak, evap failure (requires taking out the dash), any volvo 10 years old needs to have the air bags checked and possible replaced (you know volvo and their safety), sway bar links, tie rod ends, brake dust but the 5cyl motor is a very strong motor and with a good service history the car will last over 2,000,000 miles (IE Irv Gordan http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2002/02/21/036086.html).

If you get the vin # you can call byers and segna and get the service history.

And questions please ask.

Joshua

SlowMotion Motorsports