Removing an easy-out from a head

ShoMeSomeFun

Alright so I broke a valve cover bolt off in my cylinder head, so I drilled a hole perfectly dead center down the bolt and attempted to use an easy out. Well the easy out broke down in the head and i cant drill this thing straight or anything. Any ideas, suggestions that dont have me taking the head off the block. I have torches, welders pretty much any tool out there, thanks.

RL is right, chipping it is a good way, the only other two methods are an EDM and a small torch (not cutting) that you can use to heat the easy out up to the point it will loose it's temper. Ti coated bits are not going to cut it regardless. I have used cobalt bits to drill them in the past, but again, a cobalt coated bit and a solid cobalt bit are two different things and only to solid one will work. Since you have a MIG welder, I would go oversize and get the whole thing and then fill in the area with the MIG and then drill and and tap the hole.

Not that it will work in your situation, but the last one I did, I MIG'ed the hell out of the tap (same metal as an Easy Out) and the mixture or the MIG wire and the tap was soft enough to get a good HHS drill bit to cut.

If you go the route of the cobalt bits be warned, they are VERY hard and very brittle.

take and grind the surface as flat as possible before drilling or you will break the cobalt bits. And sharpening a cobalt bit requires a diamond wheel, a standard aluminum oxide grinding wheel will just fall away to dust and fail to cut the cobalt steel.

your best idea is to weld a nut or bolt to it being that you already drilled it it might be harded if you had a tig it would be better usally the heat from welding on it will heat it enough to remove it easy done this many of times with broken bolts tig is better do to it gets what you are welding to hotter