Dodge Ram vs. Chevy

zeitgeist57

Clearly, I'm going to start some rough conversations with this one, so let me preface this by saying I still love my Corvette, I love my Chevy truck, and my wife wants a CTS-V. Basically, I'm a GM guy, and have been so since I fell in love with Corvettes.

Now...I'm looking to update my pickup truck to something that can be more of a daily driver. I'd like an extended cab, or some cab configuration that can seat 4 or 5 people. I would REALLY like to try to keep a stick shift, and diesel would be the way to go long term in my mind.

I am just not a fan of Ford trucks. Nothing really against them, I just hate the styling. To stay Chevy or GMC would be great, but it seems like you need to have a Dually or something rediculously huge to get a stick shift. In most of my searching, the only sub $20k diesel, extended cab, fully loaded, stick shift truck is the Dodge Ram.

Is there anything wrong with either the 1st gen 94-01 or latest 02-07 models? Am I missing a certain model year GM truck that has all of these things? Thanks for any owner input out there!

In a full-size that's probably all you can get. I can't think of anything else in a late model pick-up. I do have 2 friends that have new Nissan Frontiers with the NISMO package, 4.0L Vq V6 and a manual transmission. One has a quad cab, the other is a extended so he could get the longer bed. If you don't need a full size truck I would look at one of those.

Chevy / GMC, I have had -

78 1/2 ton 4x4

79 1/2 ton 4x4

86 1/2 ton 2x4

86 K blazer 4x4

92 1/2 ton 2x4

02 1/2 ton ext 4x4

plus a lot of S10s and S10 blazers

Dodge, I've had

01 4x4 ext

02 4x4

GMs all seemed to tow better. I've enjoyed the Dodges better as daily drivers. Never had engine issues with any of them. Had 1 trans go in the 92 Chevy. Dodge mpg has not been good to me, but all of mine have been gasoline. Sister's 5.9 Durango ate an engine. Dad's 04 Tahoe has had a lot of brake issues. Mom's blazers have been flawless.

Sorry for the randomness.

As far as I know it was only the automatic trans that had issues. As long as you stick with a manual tranny, that should be fine. The Cummins Engine is a beast. It will fucking run circles around chevy, and ford. It's damn near bullet proof. Ask berto, he's an engineer for them. Also the cummins will run FOREVER. End of story. Diesel for the win. I wanted one before I got my nissan, but the nissan was new, and about the same money as the used cummins truck. I love my nissan, but will own a cummins truck in the future.

Cummins ftw.

I'd stay away from the early first gens. If you don't mod the truck you will be fine, i've heard plenty of problems about dodge tranny's not holding up to stock torque (auto)

if you go with a manual you will be fine. They don't call it the million mile engine for nothing, that truck will fall apart before the engine does.

Now that I have been at my job a little bit longer since Ilast spoke with you I have a bit more/better information. Give me a call if you want.

Dodge has the better Diesel's, honestly I think chevy auto's are almost as likely to have problems as any Dodge. Dodge's are probably easier to find in extended cab than chevy, probably the other way around for true 4 doors. For gas engines, Dodge may be a bit more reliable, but a bit more expensive to fix, evens out IMO. If it says anything, I'm looking right now for a V8 96-98 Ram to trade my Tundra in on, since I'm trying to cut down on expenses.

Cummins ftw.

I'd stay away from the early first gens. If you don't mod the truck you will be fine, i've heard plenty of problems about dodge tranny's not holding up to stock torque (auto)

QFT.

Exactly what happened to my buddy. He chipped it and a few other things and less than a month later the auto tranny went.

i don't know what you guys are smokin but a tuned duramax beats the shit out of the cummins. go hang out at the red neck truck pulls. also on the dodges watch out for front hub bearings and front end steering parts like crazy. i've owned an 02' extended cab 4x4 silverado*, 04' crew cab diesel silverado* 4x4 and now an 07' extended cab 4x4 classic and never had a problem with any of them.

*silveraldo the most dependable, longest-lasting trucks on the road based on longevity: 1981–July 2005 full-line light-duty truck

i don't know what you guys are smokin but a tuned duramax beats the shit out of the cummins. go hang out at the red neck truck pulls. also on the dodges watch out for front hub bearings and front end steering parts like crazy. i've owned an 02' extended cab 4x4 silverado*, 04' crew cab diesel silverado* 4x4 and now an 07' extended cab 4x4 classic and never had a problem with any of them.

*silveraldo the most dependable, longest-lasting trucks on the road based on longevity: 1981–July 2005 full-line light-duty truck

I would hope you've never had a problem, the oldest one you've owned was an '02! that hardly speaks about the longevity.

Also go work on a duramax compared to a cummins, those duramax's are a pain, the turbo sits right in the middle of the banks (really great for heat soak) and an injector swap has a labor time ofr 13 hrs + ona duramax because half is under the firewall and poorly placed.

Clay go look at one if you don't believe me.

the auto trans in most chrysler products are junk

the manual trans I've never heard much complaint about

they cant be that bad. hell your dakota had the weakest trans and it was able to hold a 175 for a while. :)

trans coolers and a good syn trans fluid for the win

i've done injectors in the LB7 duramax, i work at a chevy dealer so i know all about them but other then the LB7 engine with the injector issue we have no problems with them. there was no question asked about how easy they are to work on.

the 93-98.5 are not electronic fuel controlled or something like that (meaning you cant chip them) but to boost the power all you need is to switch out the fuel limiter plate.

98.5-02 need a programmer and can HP can be increased an extra 120HP (claimed by the programmers)

03 and up are the common rail ones which are quiet, these can be boosted an extra 120 or 160 HP with a programmer, the P.M. claim

if you boost the performance the trans wont hold that extra torque for long.

my dad has a 2000 cummins 3500 with 400k miles (stock execpt for airfilter and new exhaust since the old one rusted away), has no problem pulling, the injector pump and injectors failed about 350K miles and had to be replaced. also the rearend took a dump about 390k miles, got a different rear end with a different gear ratio, so when he put it in 4x4 it took out the transmission. all is fixed and is up and running good.

you figure you drive a vechile that long and if only a couple parts wear out that isnt bad.

when my bike is paid off I will probably get a 1998.5-2002 dodge 2500 cummins as they are reletivly cheap compared to other modern deisels.

Guest LSWON333
I have a 2001 ram quad cab 5.9 360 4x4 175,000 miles runs great no transmission problems. I think the people who have problems with their trans. dont know how to drive a truck. Ive also had a 98 z71 which i ran from 300 miles to 140,000 had no issues with it and a 98 ram 2500 quad cab 140k no problems although none were diesel

The dodge manuals are a NV4500 (5 speed) or a NV5500 (6 speed) and are used in 5 ton dump trucks behind the same 6BT Cummins diesel that is in the Dodge. We use that same 6BT 12 valve Cummins in our lot spotter trucks at work, these are pulling fully loaded semi trailers around all day and are rated to run down the road at 55 MPH with that sort of load on.

Here is the current LSR (land speed record) holder, guess what it is for diesel trucks

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=30183

that of course is the 24 valve motor, which is in the newer trucks, but if you want a truck, and don't mind the rattle, this is what you are looking for.

I will say that Chevy and Ford have the rattle pretty quiet, the Cummins sounds like a semi truck, they rattle, and compression knock some when you first fire them up in the morning, but that's the nature of the beast.

Hmm the all the Rednecks I know hate the duramax and want there early 90's Cummins engines back. I don't know alot about Dodge trucks except that if you want to tow something a dodge 1-ton desiel will out tow the others and you can probably put the others + there loads on its trailer and it will take them all to the bank. I've also heard there automatics are crap though. I personally know one guy who had a brand new one come apart and total his cab. This was around 2000 or so though so not sure if they fixed there problems or not. Chevy probably makes the smoothest nicest fullsize for a family hauler though I've never been inside a dodge with a big cab and I already know I wouldn't bother getting in a ford.

Evan

Cummins ftw.

if you go with a manual you will be fine. They don't call it the million mile engine for nothing, that truck will fall apart before the engine does.

Now that I have been at my job a little bit longer since Ilast spoke with you I have a bit more/better information. Give me a call if you want.

I second Cummings for better engine. But working at a clutch manfacturer for Dodge Diesels I know there was one model manual transmisson to stay away from, early-mid '00. I wanna say it was a Getrag trans, not positive. Would hardly hold stock torque, let alone any upgrades.

I can't remember the site but there is a Dodge forum with good info on it. If you want more info I prolly could find it.

After Berto, I would probably be able to help almost as much since I was in the buisness for a while. Specifically clutches and flywheel dampers for the Dodges.

I have a 24valve and i love it. I am a diesel mechanic but so far I only have limited experience with anything other than an n-14 out of tractor trailors. I am just learning about the 24 valve fuel system as I am having issues with mine. If you are looking at the pre 98.5 they are 12 valve and dont have as nice of interior. The twelve valve has a builit proof fuel system but takes more to make power. My 24 valver has small amount of mods and it is the world of difference. I have an auto with a fresh rebuild but it held up to all of my 775ft of torque, and continues to hold after my rebuild. If I add my injectors I know my tranny is gone and they are expensive to build. You did say you wanted a manual which the only weak link will be the clutch. I have heard the manuals arent as quick just due to the fact that the tranny wont let you shift but so fast. If you look into a 24 valve just be ready to dump about 1800 at any point into the fuel system. The lift pump and IP are the weak link. My stock Injection pump lasted for 185,000 miles on it and an aftermarket was added along with my edge box. It has been less than a year and I have 195K on it now and more problems with the fuel system. Great trucks imo but if i could make the payment with everything else I want I would choose the dirtymax. The power exceeds any cummins mod for mod and the technology is there. Dont get me wrong you cant go wrong with a cummins as they are already proven but I am a die hard chevy guy and want one.