Bad luck or something else wrong??

Nitrousbird

About 10 months ago, I replaced the stock Z71 Bilestein shocks on my Avalanche. They were both badly leaking and causing a vibration at highway speeds. This is a common problem with them.

I replaced them with the best shocks Napa sold for the truck. Fixed vibration, and all was well.

I go change the oil today in the Avalanche, and I noticed that the front driver's side shock is leaking. Shit.

I have not off-roaded the truck. I did some towing, but that's more of a strain to the rear shocks (which are fine). I had an alingment done a week prior to putting these Napa shocks on. Probably 18k miles on the shocks, much of that highway driving.

I'm guessing this is just crappy luck, but is there anything else that could be causing a shock to start leaking? I can't think of anything else that would cause such an issue. I'm not having any vibration or handling issues yet, but I know its coming.

I think the shocks are under warranty, so $$ isn't an issue, and swapping them is pretty easy. Should I try to get Napa to replace both, even if the other one isn't leaking when I replace them (I don't plan on replacing them until it is warm again).

Damn, that blows. I've never heard of the shock problems. My dad has an 04 Suburban 4x4 and has about 100k miles on it, lots of hwy, but also a lot of towing and he's still on the original suspension, had to get new tires about 70k but other than that the truck's been awesome.

I don't think NAPA will replace the other if there are no signs of it going bad, good luck though.

Guest Removed
has gm updated the shock yet? monroe reflex...pay the difference at napa(if they carrie them for yours)but they should be under warranty, and they should swap both of them out for you.

per GM bulletin #PIT3384

It may be noticed that the shocks are weeping oil on full-size pickups and utilities, especially if exposed to cold weather. This condition usually occurs when the vehicle is raised on a hoist that does not support the wheels. In these instances, it would be prudent to first drive the vehicle and exercise the shocks prior to hoisting the vehicle. It should be noted that this "weepage" is a normal characteristic and does not adversely affect shock performance and shock replacement is not necessary.

per GM bulletin #PIT3384

It may be noticed that the shocks are weeping oil on full-size pickups and utilities, especially if exposed to cold weather. This condition usually occurs when the vehicle is raised on a hoist that does not support the wheels. In these instances, it would be prudent to first drive the vehicle and exercise the shocks prior to hoisting the vehicle. It should be noted that this "weepage" is a normal characteristic and does not adversely affect shock performance and shock replacement is not necessary.

Quoted for truth. I checked it in GM dealerworld also.