water issues in the basement

smokin5s

I'm begining to finish my basement... I noticed that there is a few small places in the brick that the brick stays damp... I put the thorough seal on the walls, but it just appears that the walls are white and you can still see the moisture on the bricks that had problems before... how do I correct that? put a few more coats on that spot that has the problem? On both spots, the ground is built up outside so that the water slides away from the house.

the only thing is I did put the sealant on when the bricks were already damp and it's been raining or snowing non-stop since I did it... should I wait until it dries for a few days outside and then attempt to re-coat the area?

Thanks for your help.

Basements are pretty expensive to fix to the point that they dry out nicely unless it was designed that way from the beginning. I'm not and expert, but If your roof downspots are attached to your foundation drain it would help to unhook them and let them simply run out into the yard and away from the house. I did that at my place here in westerville and it dried up real nice here. Damn these flat neighborhoods and there pathetic drainage.

Evan

I think it's actually called thourogh seal... it was a powder that added with water made this paste type of stuff... then you wet down the walls then apply.

there is no down spout there... where the water is, it's only a square about 1 foot by 1 1/2 right under where the fireplace is... (it's a self contained unit and is elevated about a foot from the grass. where the water is at, there is plenty of drainage... the wall is not leaking at all and honestly, the brick just has a damp feeling to it.... will it hurt to frame and drywall around it? I am also putting insulation up, and will probably put one more coat of sealant in that area.

Ideally, the fix comes from the outside. However, in your case, what you described isn't bad and won't likely get real bad. Especially if what you are seeing is now, with all the rain we've had lately.

The best stuff out there is Ugle drylock. I put two coats on every inch of my basement prior to finishing it. I've even completed both crawl spaces. Coat the entire wall with drylock too.

Finishing wise, a very nice system is the Owens Corning system. Expensive and I do believe only they can do the install. Look into it if you're not familiar with it.

If you're using drywall, you may want to look into metal framing....even if it's just for that one wall. This way the wood won't rot.

Insulation wise, don't use the foam boards. Use the regular stuff and keep it limited to the top 4-5ft. Leave the bottom exposed. Ground here stays constant in temp after about 36-42" and by leaving it open, moisture won't wick up into everthing and there's room for it to breath.

Get a backup Sump Pump too. Best investment you'll ever make. Ours has only kicked in twice since early in 2003 when I finished it with my father.

http://www.pbase.com/pdqgp/basement_evolution

I really need to get some updated pics. Now the area is used for my home theater, Dolby 6.1 is all wired in and of course video is is the focus with my 65" Panasonic 1080p system :cool:

How far down the wall are the wet spots? If it's towards the top, you should probably dig the dirt away from the wall, clean the blocks and apply that black tar type sealant to the outside of the wall. If you are putting that pink insulation up, if it gets wet, the insulation will smell like piss.

honestly, I didn't even know it was there until I pulled up all of the insulation to seal the walls.

the wet spots start about the 2nd brick from the top and go about 2 bricks... no real biggie.

Tim, I really like how you did your stairs... I think I might have to do mine similar to that.