cbr 900rr repair questions

wnaplay1647545503

Will a scarred crank stop a motor dead on its feet. The guy I bought my bike from stated that the motor simply stopped running one day. He took the motor apart and said the crank was scarred. I cant feel or notice anything. I am wondering if I should consider having this motor checked out or simply buy a used motor off ebay. The bike is a 97 cbr 900rr. Anyone know what years motor will fit this particular bike? Any suggestions?

By the time youre done messing around with that old bike, your going to ride it and wish that you would have bought something newer and nicer.

Why would you buy something rite now anyway? Its cold as hell and there was snow on the ground again this morning on the south side of the city. You should have saved for 3 more months and bought something nice in the spring.

By the time youre done messing around with that old bike, your going to ride it and wish that you would have bought something newer and nicer.

Why would you buy something rite now anyway? Its cold as hell and there was snow on the ground again this morning on the south side of the city. You should have saved for 3 more months and bought something nice in the spring.

For one I picked it up for $500. And since this will be the first bike I have actually owned myself and ridden in several years I thought it best to start out with a not so nice bike.

My crank has an almost unseeable(sp) blemish in 1 very small area. Everything else appears to be fine. If I can have the crank turned and polished, wouldnt it make more sense to just rebuild whats there vs, buying a motor from ebay and potentially getting someone elses problem?

I'd rather have that Honda then that r1 anyday

• 4 weeks later...
If the crank is actually scored, it might be fixable, but not cheap. Falicon cranks in florida can repair but in upwards of $500 plus. on m/c cranks you just can not turn them and throw a set of bearings in them because the difference between sizes are from .0005 to .002" of an inch. they have to be re-welded and reground to correct size again. rule of thumb is if you can feel the score with your finger nail it will have to be fixed or replaced. my suggestion is another motor or find good crank and replace yours. Which might be hard on a 900rr. Rod bearing failure is somewhat common for these motors.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found a parts bike that was involved in an accident last year. I went over and looked at the bike tonight. The bike is definately damaged. However I dont know about the motor. It looks clean enough however what appears to be the stator is scratched. The seller said I can have the motor for $450 or the entire bike for $750. Usable parts seem to be the frame and motor. Everything else including the subframe will need swapped from mine. However it does have a clear title. And that could help at upgrade time when I sell. I was thinking maybe parting out what I dont need off mine but I am not sure if all together it would be enough to offset the additional $300. By the way the parts bike is a 99. Any opinions

Thanks alot