How to break into racing?

El Karacho1647545492

I'm looking to break into the NASA scene, but in a more competitive sense. I don't really want to just do the lapping stuff, I'd like to really compete, so I ask all of you: what is the cheapest class of cars that I can break into that doesn't really require a whole lot of modification and upkeep (relatively). I'm a big guy, so the higher the weight, the less I'm handicapped by that.

Look into the "Performance Touring" category, they use the TT classing system that works pretty well and gives most any car at an prep level a competitive home, thus more choices of cars to choose from.

The spec classes like E30 can be done relatively cheap I'm told.

you know, it was that guy that got me thinking about the Camaro/Firebird/Mustang stock class in NASA, so I did some research and I've got an ok grasp of what that class'd look like, I was just wondering if anyone had any other experience in other classes.

You may also want to look into the SCCA. The IT classes for closed wheel cars are relatively affordable. But to find out the real cost you need to talk to someone who races in the class that you are interested in. If they are like me they can give you what it will take to race each year (I run a Formula Vee). Make sure you find out what the hidden costs are. For example most closed wheel cars get a lot of contact damage. If you don't know how to do body work it can get pretty expensive. If nothing else find out what people are spending on tires and brakes. These will tend to be a couple of your highest cost items.

Shad

Just an FYI there are 6 regional races at Mid-Ohio this summer and 2 National events. That is fewer than in past years, used to be 9 regional races. :D Overall the SCCA has more scheduled events than NASA. If you want to travel a little you can pretty much race every weekend in the summer (if you can afford it).

Shad