?'s on AWD cars..

Amy

Well I have to give huge props to the AWD owners. WOW! I drove Thorne's WRX at the last snow fall and then, as of yesterday was looking into a AWD car for a daily driver. I test drove a STI which was probably the most amazing experince Ive ever had driving a car. The handling was amazing and the power band was through every gear. I completely have a new respect for these cars.

Nothing more fun then being in the passenger seat sliding around a corner when your used to a RWD car and all four wheels are slidiing instead of just two. So, yes this mustang owner is sure changing her mind.

Questions though.. What are things to look out for and years to look for when purchasing a AWD car.. Been looking at the STI, WRX and haven't had a chance to look at a Evo. Don't really know anything about them and I know there are tons of owners on here. Thanks guys/gals.

Audi's certainly don't hold up as well, and I believe parts are more costly. '02-'03 WRX's don't like to be power shifted into second, and in sub freezing weather can have a gas leak. Mine has 95,000 miles and the previous owner didnt get the leak fixed, so when I have it torn apart for a clutch this week I'm going to fix the leak as well. I guess thats a pretty common problem. Beyond that, I've had my wrx for a week now and it's a blast to drive, it's a shame that I'll have the tranny out of it when the snow hits, almost makes me want to hold off on taking it apart for a few days.

The only thing I noticed when I first got into driving Subarus (used to be a Mustang girl also) is that they tend to be a little more RWD oriented. They tend to fishtail when you push on the gas a little too much. I like my STi because it has the active center diff. Our roads are always snow covered where I live and I just lock in the diff. and go.

I really like Subbys.

02/03 are cheap 13-15k.

Watch the clutch. As mine is going out :(

I think for what they cost and how they drive its a pretty nice car. My buddy has the Legacy GT Limited. He loves the thing. Its got Leather and Nav.

Amy I am your father.

You underestimate the power off the darkside.

P.S.

Sell that stang

Get a Wrx Dailey

a Built STI 10 Second or better car.

Fsck your off thel ine traction issues

Guest mrhobbz
I really like Subbys.

02/03 are cheap 13-15k.

Watch the clutch. As mine is going out :(

I think for what they cost and how they drive its a pretty nice car. My buddy has the Legacy GT Limited. He loves the thing. Its got Leather and Nav.

Amy I am your father.

You underestimate the power off the darkside.

P.S.

Sell that stang

Get a Wrx Dailey

a Built STI 10 Second or better car.

Fsck your off thel ine traction issues

Thorne, with the way you drive any clutch will cry.. and v6 mustangs will puke up rods :)

hey the 3.8s rodds were still in.

I just herd um saying please let me out. Classic is watching you duck behind ur car door as i come down the street because of the BANG BANG BANG BANG.

the clutch has been tired since i got it. I've been babying it lately anyways.

Being a Mustang and EVO owner I agree that AWD is way fun. If you are looking at EVO's look for 04 or later. Mitsu made some corrections for production issues in the 03 models (clutch and drive train). If you ever plan on modifying you AWD my suggestion would be the EVO. There are tons of vendors and you can upgrade performance relativity inexpensively. Plus the stock 4g63 is pretty much bullet proof until over 500 atwhp. I guess one of these days I need to drive and STI so that I can compare the two cars. Anyone out there with an STI want to do a swap. You drive mine I drive yours.

Shad

Being a Mustang and EVO owner I agree that AWD is way fun. If you are looking at EVO's look for 04 or later. Mitsu made some corrections for production issues in the 03 models (clutch and drive train). If you ever plan on modifying you AWD my suggestion would be the EVO. There are tons of vendors and you can upgrade performance relativity inexpensively. Plus the stock 4g63 is pretty much bullet proof until over 500 atwhp. I guess one of these days I need to drive and STI so that I can compare the two cars. Anyone out there with an STI want to do a swap. You drive mine I drive yours.

Shad

My hubby would love to swap you sometime. He wanted an EVO but I am a Subaru lover and it was my turn to pick vehicles.

I think I am definatly going more of the route with the STI .. I am going to look at the Evo tomarrow... was going to try and make it today but plans changed. Any good dealers you guys suggest to see? What is a good price on a new sti or evo btw?

I enjoyed my experience at Roby. I obviously negotiated them down but they werent dicks about it like many sales folks are.

I just pulled up what I could import it for from one of the west coast high volume super low price places. I got a quote for a car carrier to ship it. They met that total price. I "felt" like I got a decent deal and thats all that really matters.

It was roughly 30k for the above pictured IX SE (aka special edition). Two months later having just paid my 1000/half insurance bill, I have zero regrets about the purchase.