Negative Equity :(

thorne

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rebate idea is a good one, it can help offset a lot of that negative equity.

I was just reading an article today about how Pontiac dealers are giving away GTO's for about $4k-$5k under sticker for brand new cars that havn't been sold yet, not a much roomier car than the Monte but still a possible alternative.

I was upside down on my Tundra by about 5 grand, and I was trying to knock my payments down from the original $385 a month to about $200 a month. I lucked into my 03 WRX at $4500 plus my negative equity and ended up right at my mark. I've decided that it will be a LONG time before I pay more than 10 grand for a car, its simply not worth it to me to have that large of payments. I would say that if you HAVE to get out of the car, do what I did and get something cheap to offset the negative equity and drop the payments to something more manageable.

your best bet is to stick with your current car for a while. not sure what your original situation was if you went into the Monte with N.E. or what not, but if not, then stick it out 42-48months and try again.

I could go on forever as to the ups and downs of buying new, leasing, etc.....bottom line is, just stick it out and learn from the situation so next time you're in a better way.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat. I grew up in the biz with my family having Olds, GMC, Caddy dealerships. I know it inside and out and am glad to be out!

tim

I am pretty sure I'm going to just go ahead and get a beeter. Would not hurt since I've been debating a bigger turbo and few other toys. this would make it alot easier. just drive around in the monte,

no offense but if money is tight maybe you should hold off on modding the car till you can get things back on track.

no offense but if money is tight maybe you should hold off on modding the car till you can get things back on track.

Word.

Im sure people will groan when I mention this, but... you might read this book before making any more financial moves. It isn’t rocket science nor does it contain any genius revelations, but it may change your perspective on how you view money.

LOL. No shit.

Why spend your money upgrading your WRX? These cars will always be here to mod and spend "extra" money on. Take care of your business first, then come back to it. Trust me, it sucks ass. Which is why me = not having anything to mod on going on 4 years now (new house, old bills, etc.). Cars/bikes were my life, but in the big picture they weren't shit. Handle things now, and you won't be stressed down the road.

Everyone keeps saying wreck it or set it on fire or whatever, that still won't help him if he is 8K in negative equity it won't pay off his loan and he will be responsible for the 8K not covered. They wont want payments either they want it all NOW.

Sell the car you have the least or NO neg equity on then drive the other one while paying down the payment more so you get the neg equity GONE.

I'm also in agreement with the others who are telling you to get your priorities straight. Don't mod your car if you are so upside down on your car pay that shit down man your only making your life harder by not doing so.

Sounds like your money management skills and priorities SUCK! No offense.

Everyone keeps saying wreck it or set it on fire or whatever, that still won't help him if he is 8K in negative equity it won't pay off his loan and he will be responsible for the 8K not covered. They wont want payments either they want it all NOW.

That's what gap insurance is for.

Little comments like this aren't exactly called for. He knows he screwed up and is looking for advice on how to get out of the car. No need to kick someone when their down.

I say sell the dogs.

Little comments like this aren't exactly called for. He knows he screwed up and is looking for advice on how to get out of the car. No need to kick someone when their down.

I say sell the dogs.

While this is true, I think the above was said because Thorne mentioned getting a bigger turbo for his wrx, which goes against what the post was created for, therefore showing he doesn't have the greatest control over his money habits.

While this is true, I think the above was said because Thorne mentioned getting a bigger turbo for his wrx, which goes against what the post was created for, therefore showing he doesn't have the greatest control over his money habits.

I wasn't aware. Point made. Having a reality check wouldn't hurt and I suppose if your going to post it on a public forum you have to ready for the reprecussion's.

I say sell the dogs.

If he has gap insurance most people don't even know about it nor do they ask about it or check it.

I wasn't kicking him while he was down man I was making a point because he was talking about buying car parts when that money could be put to the payoff of the car so they CAN get the bigger one that they need.

True dat. Didn't you post a few months back about renting a house because you couldn't get a loan for one? Seriously get your family under control, first and foremost. I don't have kids but I know from other people's experiences that you will end up doing many things for them, some will be much harder than cramming them into a child seat in a 2 door car.

When I got my house I listened to my parents I listened to my loan officer(s). Buy a house first THEN a car.

On a lighter note I understand what copperhead is saying. I bought my '06 civic, and yes its a great car but I'm getting tired of the payment. There is no use in selling it, I will hold on to it and drive it till the wheels fall off.

I found out that I worry too much about my brand new car, getting chips, getting door dings. In the future I will probably never pay more than 10k for a car (daily driver). And Ideally pay it cash.

Word.

Im sure people will groan when I mention this, but... you might read this book before making any more financial moves. It isn’t rocket science nor does it contain any genius revelations, but it may change your perspective on how you view money.

That is a great book. That is why it has been at #1 on the New York Times best seller list.

Must get out of the rat race and onto the fast track. :)

hey guys even if he is 8g negative, with the right cars and right rebate you can knock that off. i sold a brand new 06 left over equinox and dissolved 7g negative. and that was "with out" employee pricing. with on a higher priced car can knock 3-6g off.

yeah when ever you guys buy a car GAP is a MUST. never buy a car with out if or your fucked. say you drive it off the lot and 5mins later its totaled your FUCKED, no way in hell other than sueing to cover the diff. and thats if its not your fault. What ever he does he can accomplish what he wants eaither way. good luck with the decision. :thumbup:

Do you own you own home?

Possible refinancing to get a cheap loan rate and absorb the negative + the new car???

KillJoy

oh yeah thats a good idea, get another loan just to take care of the negative while having the original car loan:rolleyes: