Tire pressure monitors

mmrmnhrm

Has anyone used one of these TPMS systems, and if so, are they really as good as they claim? One of the guys over on the hybrid boards is hot on http://cgi.ebay.ca/HONDA-MITSUBISHI-TIRE-WHEEL-PRESSURE-MONITORING-SYSTEM_W0QQitemZ230090268296QQihZ013QQcategoryZ33746QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting, but it'd be nice to have some of the tire guys here back him up on that if they're really worth it.

I know the OEM sensors can cost over 100 dollars each to replace when they go bad and on some cars the system even has to be reset when you rotate the tires (active systems)

the passive systems are more tolerant, but work off the wheel speed sensors for the abs and can also trigger an abs light if the tire loses pressure.....

I'm not a big fan of TPMS, its much simpler to just check air pressure every time you get gas

Ok, seeing more love than hate, so I'm leaning towards "helpful", if not outright "good idea". Basically, all I want is something to keep me from getting blowouts on the freeway caused by overheating in summer since i run my tires around 48psi instead of 35. Found the higher pressure does wonders for handling and stability, even if the ride is a little rougher. Doesn't have to be expensive, just something easy to add when it's time to get new rubber.

by 08 or 10 (I don't remember the exact date) the federal government has mandated TPMS on all passenger cars and light trucks.....

when your ready for new tires trade it in for a car with TPMS much simpler

I wasn't kidding about the price of the sensors they sell them at NAPA and some tire stores stock them call and get a price

theyre not cheap. my g/f has them stock on her 07 mazda3...we had the light come on a few weeks ago, went to the gas station once i found out what the light meant, all 4 tires (which should have been at 32psi) were at 25-26...i know cold will do that...glad it let me know caus i wouldnt have checked

I have TPMS on my GTI. Stock each valve stem with the sensor is 90 bucks a peice!

With the link you supplied 40$ is too good to be true, it might work but you get what you pay for.

For sure on trucks it is great because most of the time you can "feel" while driving if your low or not.