Marvel Mystery Oil/Seafoam

87GT

What is your opinion on using Marvel Mystery Oil? Is it worth the time and money? For a 94 saturn sl2 with 156K miles. I had the cam gasket replaced and this stopped a lot of the leaking but it still leaks a small amount. I understand these engines do leak because oil gets trapped in the oil control rings and turned to carbon (thats what I read at least). So would using MMO and/or Seafoam before I do an oil change help at all? Or should I just keep extra oil in my house and fill it as needed?

you suck sea foam in through a vacum hose to remove carbon deposits from the valves intake runners and piston tops....

I've used marvel oil to free up a stuck lifter before, but never to fix a leak

the best thing to do is just find the leaky part and replace it

Saturn's 1.9 is notorious for consuming oil, especially the older ones. It is more than likely that yours is doing the same. You can try these products to reduce the amount of consumption, but I doubt it can correct it.

I've used both MMO and Seafoam, in different vehicles. The MMO was used in assembly of every RX7 engine that I built as well as put in the fuel tank of my FD about every 10th tank.

I tried the Seafoam in the oil of my A4 to combat the sludge build-up issues all 1.8Ts have. I even went so far as to run the Seafoam oil mixture for 500 miles 4 consecutive times, with new filters each time, and it still didn't clean enough to allow proper oil pressure to be maintained.

Both products worked well, with the nod towards the MMO. If you are looking to clean up sludge and varnish build-up in your motor, I'd try the MMO both in the oil and in the fuel. It will not be a one time deal though. You need to use it for a while to get maximum benefit.

If you want to clean up the carbon deposits you can do what my techs did at Saturn West and perform the "Italian Tune-up". Take the PCV hose loose and attach a longer hose. Place the hose in a bottle of ATF and then gun the engine, and maintain high rpms, until it sucks all of the ATF through. Note: Do NOT do this in a garage. First warn your neighbors and tell them not to call the fire department when they see the IMMENSE cloud of white smoke coming from your driveway. We had the Fire dept. show up once because they saw it from a half mile away.

Don't waste your money on synthetic oils. The smaller molecule size, and the properties that it was designed for, will actually increase consumption/leaks. Best bet is to keep an extra quart of the old dino juice in the car and check the level when fueling. Do not let the oil level drop too far, the timing chain tensioner piston relies on the oil pressure. You've probably heard the rattling when the oil level drops too low.

First warn your neighbors and tell them not to call the fire department when they see the IMMENSE cloud of white smoke coming from your driveway. We had the Fire dept. show up once because they saw it from a half mile away.

At night would be the best time to try this.

I did the MMO soak in my engine overnight. like 12 hours. Made some nice white smoke but I drove it around the block a few times until it stopped. I guess I can do this each oil change.

I used to put in fuel injector cleaner in my gas tank in my old honda every oil change. I'm used to stuff like that.

What does ATF stand for?