Bolt stripped help.........

wnaplay1647545503

The top bolt on the starter on my van is stripped, which I cannot figure out how since it is the original starter. but it is and I cant get it off. I tried using a reverse extractor but still wont budge. I cant get the next smaller size to beat on. What are my options?

Guest 614Streets
Oxy-Acetylene the bolt head off remove starter , heat stud with map gas till shes cherry spray her down with pb blaster and use a stud puller to rachet it out

it sounds like all the advise so far has come from people that went to BMI. Backyard mechanic institute. between cutting and braking shit off. Hot steel + PB = shit ton of smoke with a possibility of fire.

did you try to pound a different socket on, i know you said the next size smaller but i mean if your using metric try SAE and the other way around. use EITHER heat or PB but not both at the same time. i think a last resort would be cutting the head off and using stud removers i know i've never had to do that, Also impact drivers are your friend you can find them that you can put a 3/8 socket on.

Is it a ford?

The only bolt I have ever had that I was 100% unable to get out was a starter bolt on a 5.4L. They use uncoated bolts in aluminum and it causes them to seize something fierce. I ended up cutting the bolt, drilling it and using a Helicoil. Without the correct tooling this would be difficult.

it sounds like all the advise so far has come from people that went to BMI. Backyard mechanic institute. between cutting and braking shit off. Hot steel + PB = shit ton of smoke with a possibility of fire.

did you try to pound a different socket on, i know you said the next size smaller but i mean if your using metric try SAE and the other way around. use EITHER heat or PB but not both at the same time. i think a last resort would be cutting the head off and using stud removers i know i've never had to do that, Also impact drivers are your friend you can find them that you can put a 3/8 socket on.

it sounds like he's working on the van in his driveway I offered him I viable alternative if your replacing the starter it won't hurt a damn thing to break the ear off

Yeah its a ford. I will try to pop off the ear as suggested thus freeing up some space and go at the bolt itself. If I drill it out can I just throughbolt with a bolt and nut? Its very tight under there. Not alot of room to try many things or pound a smaller extractor socket on.

if its the 5.0 motor ive been there done that.. i cut the bolt head off and removed the starter. then heated the area and removed with some bad ass vice grips. that bolt is also a special head size in relation to the shank. i just used some new grade 8 hex head bolts with some anti seize on them.

Guest 614Streets

Your a fucking duchebag dude

Your a fucking duchebag dude

Why? He was just informing him. PB buster is flammable, it will catch on fire if you try to torch it. I've seen it happen. Not that it's not controllable, but still.

Have you tried to use the air hammer to try to chisel it out? Like notch it from the side and try to push it counter-clockwise to loosen the bolt? That has worked for me in the past. You just have to be careful.

Damn I didnt think I would ever get that bolt out. I want to thank everyone who chimed in with some help but I would like to extend a big thanks to Mr Sigman for having straight forward answers that worked perfectly. I could see what needed to be done but I wasnt sure if I should go about it until someone seconded my thoughts, but it worked and I am happy its starting again.

Thanks