MK III opinions wanted

Mitch

http://images.autotrader.com/images/2007/3/17/219/305/1779424362.219305313.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Drove this today, 1988, 79k 5sp Targa top. No evidence of blown head gasket. A few paint chips, normal for a 19 year old with that kind of miles. No rust. Maintenance records in the car show clutch and timing belt replaced within the last 15k miles. Tires are yokohama's with lots of tread left Interior is in good shape, but very dated. Out the door price was 7k with paint chips airbrushed.

Is that way too much?

Im still thinking of an LS1, it would be at least 10 years newer, a more modern interior, more hp stock, probably cheaper to mod. The MKIII handles better than my old Z28 did. One thing I'm worried about on the MKIII is repairs. The LS1 would get better gas mileage.

Any thoughts or opinions appreciated.

This has no signs of abuse or mods. I'd probably jump on this at $6k out the door. I just don't want to get stuck with the wrong car for me this time. It would be my fun car, so I would probably only have it for 2-3 years and I would baby it.

7k is way too much. Hell, 6k is too much. Good mileage for the year, though. You will have to replace the headgasket and retorque using some ARP's anyway. Not that you shouldn't do it anyway if you want to really mod the motor. I think it would be as cheap to mod as an ls1. The 7m motor is just waiting to be uncorked. Seriously, spend some more time on Supraforums.com or OhioSupras.org looking around and asking. As with any other car community, everyone pretty much knows everyone and you can get a good line on what a car's worth and if that particular car is crap or not. If you'd like, I have quite a few more links I can pm you; forums w/4sale sections, info, etc. Obviously, you see I own one so if you ever wanted to drop by, just let me know. I live in South Delaware right off 23.

Since you aren't asking about buying a Nissan, don't worry about those opinions.

The supra is a very nice car. Very reliable and simple to work on. Parts are relatively inexpensive. &k is too much, if you ask me. You can get a SC300 in great shape for that price. I would think about 4500 or so for a supra. I am partial to Toyota, as I work for Lexus and have seen some EXTREMELY high mileage supras kicking ass with no problems on factory Toyota parts.

I've driven both, as well. They each have their own merits, but I prefer the Supra because of comfort, highway cruising, and brute motor strength (You can only get close to that with a motor swap in the Nissan)and with some suspension work, will handle beautifully. (Some body roll stock, but will stick and reel a high speed sweeper w/much confidence.) The suspension is set up stock as a gt. But don't forget it has fully independent, double wishbone suspension and a lsd. Again, just waiting for an 'uncorking'. The Nissan does have it's light body going for it. If I were autocrossing, I may prefer the Nissan, but then I'd probably just get another MKI MR2.

Way too much money. I paid $1500 for mine with a BHG and a shotty turbo.

However I will say they are a lot of fun. There are a bunch of easy mods you can do to get them a lot faster than stock. They aren't too bad to work on either once you know your way around it.

As for handling, the stock suspension sucks unless you put a bit of money into it. Mine is only lowered 2" and it helps a lot around turns.

If you want a car that can go fast in a straight line and handle ok, get it. If you want a car that can handle but is kinda fast, go for a 240sx.

Ive had 2 supras that made it well into 200,000 miles and then sold them for 1500 or so with the mileage. not bad to work on, parts-a-plenty, but it is a heavy fat girl of a car.

That is a ton they are asking for it though. show them $4500 in 20's and see what happens. does the T.E.M.S. work? that can get expensive. nice mileage on it.

TEMS is no biggy. Some even get rid of it. Not very many suspension choices if you want to keep the TEMS. Plenty if you don't have it or just want to get rid of it. Which is also simple and as many get rid of it, as many will buy working, used parts. I did like the TEMS in my previous MKIII, but don't feel lost without it in this one.