Local shops, IPS, Mike Ward, Lasota, etc, any others?

Bam

My dad wants me to find a local shop to build his motor, install a blower, rebuild his rear end and put a new clutch/flywheel in his Cobra.

Right now its a stock 5.0l with bolt ons. He wants it gone through, cleaned up, freshened, possibly do forged internals if they feel the need for the power he wants and he probably will get a supercharger. He wants 400-450whp.

He also needs his rear end rebuilt, posi/lsd, drum to disc conversion and new gears installed and sandblasted/powdercoated or painted.

So far by glancing at the advertisers on the board I've gathered these 3 shops can take care of him

Lasota Racing

Mike Ward Racing

IPS motorsports

Obviously every place has pros/cons, but who "specializes" 5.0ls, or fords if any of them?

Anyone know if my dad and I are crazy in assuming he can achieve 400-450whp with a cam/heads/intakes, longtubes and a blower among other small things?

Thanks for any help. I don't have time to call them today or tomorrow with my schedule, but was hoping to get ahold of them Friday to meet/greet with them so me and my dad can ask any questions he has.

Personally, I would have your dad or maybe even the two of you actually visit and check out each place on a saturday or later in a weekday or something. Online "Persona" and public opinion polls are great and all, but meeting the people that are actually doing the work and seeing the facility and such is much more telling than someone you dont know saying good or bad about "XYZ" shop.

Just my 2 cents...

Jeff

Another thing to keep in mind is that all of the shops listed will most likely be out-sourcing the actual machine work. IPS uses Fowler Race Engines and couldnt be happier with them. Top-notch guys that do everything in-house and stand behind their work 110%

Jeff

Personally, I would have your dad or maybe even the two of you actually visit and check out each place on a saturday or later in a weekday or something. Online "Persona" and public opinion polls are great and all, but meeting the people that are actually doing the work and seeing the facility and such is much more telling than someone you dont know saying good or bad about "XYZ" shop.

Just my 2 cents...

Jeff

This isn't directed towards you as it would be easy to assume with all the drama on this board, but I do think other people's opinions should play a small yet valid part in the decision to use a shop. Too easy is it to get deceived just by the kindness and looks of a shop and then turn out to be complete thiefs. I have read too many threads on other boards about this shop that was so nice and then they end up picking their cars up on flatbeds just to get out of the shit they are in with engine builders, etc.

But, because I think all of those shops are a good choice then you can go off personal feelings and appearance of each one you visit.

My $.02

i cant speak for any of the other shops, since ive never done busness with them. But IPS has never done me wrong, jeff, mike, and brandon have been nothing but great to work with. Dispite all the online BS, i would highly recomend them.

Catalogna Performance who is my shop sponsor on my mustang, is a amzing company. Hw is based out of Hilliard. I have to agree though check out each shop, and see what you like about each one and what you dont like and take in all the pros and cons of each and then pick which one you will be spending your dollars with. :-) Good luck!

i'd say either LaSota or IPS...i've always been under the impression that LaSota focuses mainly on Ford's, as for IPS many people on the board have had some good experiences...might wanna call both and see who can give you the best deal and get you in and out soon.

We do plan on visiting a few of the shops and talking with the staff, but I don't know who to go to, therefore this thread.

We are not looking for someone to build a car for us, just the motor/trans mainly.

Guest FastLX
I can't believe after all the bullshit IPS has put numerous customers through and all the online antics they play that anyone would even think of them for anything other than an exhaust install. :rolleyes:

Full service shops like what you are looking for I would highly recomend IPS or Lasota!! both are class acts. Lasota does more work (that I know of) for Fords and 5.0s. I know Rob has had some strong running personal vehicles!!

I would highly recommend Lasota also. I know he does do some Chevy stuff too. He has done quite a bit of work to my K5 Jimmy and is currently working on my small 95 Jimmy. I suggest giving both a call and meeting up with them and see how you feel. Also check the consumer feedback, alot less of the BS drama in there.