Looking at a Z28...

31rx7

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont waste your time on a LT1, takes alot more to make the same power, more of a PITA to work on, the previously mentioned OPTI is a PITA because the front of the motor needs to come apart to change it.

I used to own GMR SPEED, so some of you know me, I have had many experience with these. If you look hard enough and are willing to travel a little bit you can find some pretty nice LSx cars for under $6k. Even if a car is in Florida, its a $75 plane ticket, and about $150 and a day of your time in gas, so dont be discouraged if the car is far away.

If your son is looking for something to learn on, LSx is the way to go as that is the layout for most performance engines in use by GM today and seems to be for many many years to come.

But that is just my .02...

Good point Leo.

PS I'm the guy with the red lt1 with horrible rod knock from last year. What happend to you & GMR?

Went down different avenues. I am sure I will have something else going, still helping people out on the side, kinda taking a timeout, enjoying life with a normal paycheck and a set schedule. We will see what tomorrow brings :burn:

false

:rolleyes:

I will go ahead and repeat myself

LS1's are most deffiantely easier to work on... LT1's can make the same power as LS1's

here's the fastest that I could find with quick googling about world's fastest LT1 and LS1

LT1:

6.71 @ 213.37mph

couldn't find any more info on it other than the speed and that it was TT

LS1:

6.86 @ 205 mph

Engine- 352 inch factory iron block LS1 built by Wheel to Wheel Powertrain.

Twin turbo system- designed and built by Wheel to Wheel Powertrain.

Combination built to test the limits and potential of the LS1 engine platform in drag racing.

Dont waste your time on a LT1, takes alot more to make the same power, more of a PITA to work on, the previously mentioned OPTI is a PITA because the front of the motor needs to come apart to change it.

Perhaps you should avoid talking about things you know NOTHING about. Front of the motor??? If by front of the motor you mean the water pump and balancer, then yes. And that's it; nothing else.

One thing people forget about is LT1's have a number of parts that are FAR cheaper to purchase, simply because they can use GEN-1 SBC parts. And since there is no bigger motor aftermarket that GEN-I SBC stuff, it can be had for a reasonable price. :) Let's just say I can (and have) a built shortblock for a lot less money than an LS1 guy can get it.

As far as LS1's, their real advantages are heads, many more block choices, and now a larger aftermarket. The Opti issue has been cared for in the aftermarket world, done, over, quit bitching about it.

:rolleyes:

I will go ahead and repeat myself

LS1's are most deffiantely easier to work on... LT1's can make the same power as LS1's

here's the fastest that I could find with quick googling about world's fastest LT1 and LS1

LT1:

6.71 @ 213.37mph

couldn't find any more info on it other than the speed and that it was TT

LS1:

6.86 @ 205 mph

Engine- 352 inch factory iron block LS1 built by Wheel to Wheel Powertrain.

Twin turbo system- designed and built by Wheel to Wheel Powertrain.

Combination built to test the limits and potential of the LS1 engine platform in drag racing.

o ok. sorry. i didnt know this guy was making a 6 second record breaker for his sons first car.

in the real world of mods, ls1s have more potential and everyone in this thread agrees w/ me.

o ok. sorry. i didnt know this guy was making a 6 second record breaker for his sons first car.

in the real world of mods, ls1s have more potential and everyone in this thread agrees w/ me.

do you not grasp the concept of what potental is? here is the definition from http://www.dictionary.com

Potential

po·ten·tial

- capable of being or becoming:

and I proved to you what both are capible of... and wow, look at that, the LT1 is actually FASTER than the LS1...

I've mentioned several times that LS1's are easier to work on and get more power per mod. I know of plenty of heads/cam LT1's putting down the same amount of power as Heads/cam LS1's (as long as they are using the same LS1 heads and not actually changing heads) and just to be completely obvious.... a stock LT1 with a CC306 cam and ported heads typically puts down around in the neighborhood of 400 RWHP.... I believe a heads/cam LS1 with a similar sized cam will make around 400 as well.

I have never once said that LS1 motor's aren't superior... since LT1's are GEN II motors and LS1's are GEN III obviously, they are next step in evolution of motors.

Maybe you should just talk about Mustangs instead of motors that you obviously don't know anything about :rolleyes:

as the owner of a 93 Z28 I can say that lt1s are nice but the optispark is retarted, and I got greasier changin the plugs and wires than I did changing the clutch in my old sentra se-r that I sold recently. however u cant beat the price. I bought my camaro from a couple of lesbians for 2500$ with a bad head gasket and optispark but thats about it. they are a great budget car.

Go on..

yea they are possibly the two most obese women in ohio so you can put a sleeper on your chubby. they live down the street from me and i just asked them one day if they wanted to sell the Z28 and they agreed....only problem was they

didn't have the title. what followed was a grueling 2 month journey to obtain it, and after she got it she sold the car to a friend! thinking i didn't want it anymore. her friend then sold it back to her cause he didn't know how to change the spark plugs, and then i bought it.

do you not grasp the concept of what potental is? here is the definition from http://www.dictionary.com

Potential

po·ten·tial

- capable of being or becoming:

and I proved to you what both are capible of... and wow, look at that, the LT1 is actually FASTER than the LS1...

I've mentioned several times that LS1's are easier to work on and get more power per mod. I know of plenty of heads/cam LT1's putting down the same amount of power as Heads/cam LS1's (as long as they are using the same LS1 heads and not actually changing heads) and just to be completely obvious.... a stock LT1 with a CC306 cam and ported heads typically puts down around in the neighborhood of 400 RWHP.... I believe a heads/cam LS1 with a similar sized cam will make around 400 as well.

just stop before you lose all credability man.

It isnt his son's first car. His son is an experienced autocrosser. He is just looking for a daily, as an STS Civic with a rock hard suspension isnt very practical.

Thanks for all the advice.

This thread is quite entertaining given the straightforward question I asked.

Some additional points and comments:

- This will be primarily my 18 year old son's car.

- As a father (and some of you will get there), I normally wouldn't consider such a car for an 18 year old son. However, he seems to have good head on his shoulders, is an honors student, has some sense of discipline and responsibility, and has had formal performance driver training and experience. So, I think he can handle it. I hope he doesn't disappoint. Plus, he has skin in the game because he is paying for it.

- He drove a 1st gen RX7 in the winter, so I think he will be OK in slippery conditions!

- He has a budget. The smaller the better, and we are smart enough to not buy junk.

- LT1, LS1: doesn't matter. Chances are he can't afford an LS1 and doesn't need the power anyhow.

- Condition is most important. A car that was cared for is what we are looking for. We want it to last.

- I do appreciate the comments on the Optispark. I had no idea GM had done such a thing. Sounds stupid to me.

- I am actually more interested in the handling aspects of the different years than I am the straight line performance. As noted in another post, we both autocross so that is really where the interest is.

- I am surprised by the relative scarcity of these cars. I incorrectly assumed there were a lot of them out there. There seems to be lots of Mustang GT's but not a lot of V8 Camaros.

Thanks again for all your links, input, and comments. Even the banter was great!

Rich

Some additional points and comments:

- This will be primarily my 18 year old son's car.

- As a father (and some of you will get there), I normally wouldn't consider such a car for an 18 year old son. However, he seems to have good head on his shoulders, is an honors student, has some sense of discipline and responsibility, and has had formal performance driver training and experience. So, I think he can handle it. I hope he doesn't disappoint. Plus, he has skin in the game because he is paying for it.

- He drove a 1st gen RX7 in the winter, so I think he will be OK in slippery conditions!

- He has a budget. The smaller the better, and we are smart enough to not buy junk.

- LT1, LS1: doesn't matter. Chances are he can't afford an LS1 and doesn't need the power anyhow.

- Condition is most important. A car that was cared for is what we are looking for. We want it to last.

- I do appreciate the comments on the Optispark. I had no idea GM had done such a thing. Sounds stupid to me.

- I am actually more interested in the handling aspects of the different years than I am the straight line performance. As noted in another post, we both autocross so that is really where the interest is.

- I am surprised by the relative scarcity of these cars. I incorrectly assumed there were a lot of them out there. There seems to be lots of Mustang GT's but not a lot of V8 Camaros.

Thanks again for all your links, input, and comments. Even the banter was great!

Rich

I see a few cars are for sale...how much for the trailer? :grin2:

The trailer is not for sale. I am consolidating vehicles and going to a Subirban or Yukon XL as a daily driver and tow vehicle. I just don't have time to keep up with all my vehicles and my kids vehicles the way I want to, and don't have an excess of parking and garage space, so a couple have to go!

Quick facts

LT1 was in the 93-97 Fbodies and 92-96 Vettes. It is an iron block with aluminum heads. Has a reverse direction(flow...coolent goes to the heads and then the block vs. normally the block then the heads) cooling system with the first non-distributor ignition system(al la Opti-spark). Power ratings were 275(93 Fbodies) and 285(94-97Fbods)....300 for the Vettes. LT1s are 350 Cubic Inches.

LS1 is found in the 97+ Vettes and the 98-02 Fbodies. It has coil on plug ignition system. Aluminum block and heads. Normal cooling system. Power ratings were 350 for the Vette and 305/315 for the 98-00 Fbodies/WS6&SS and then 310/320 for the 01-02 Fbodies/WS6&SS. LS1s are 346 Cubic inches.

You cant go wrong with either one, Its not worth arguing.

LT1 - better overall race engine, 350ci to play with stock, peak torque at 4000 rpms

LS1 - more technology, more after market options, better factory heads

There isnt a big enough gap in ET's for it to make a lot of difference.

Perhaps you should avoid talking about things you know NOTHING about. Front of the motor??? If by front of the motor you mean the water pump and balancer, then yes. And that's it; nothing else.

One thing people forget about is LT1's have a number of parts that are FAR cheaper to purchase, simply because they can use GEN-1 SBC parts. And since there is no bigger motor aftermarket that GEN-I SBC stuff, it can be had for a reasonable price. :) Let's just say I can (and have) a built shortblock for a lot less money than an LS1 guy can get it.

As far as LS1's, their real advantages are heads, many more block choices, and now a larger aftermarket. The Opti issue has been cared for in the aftermarket world, done, over, quit bitching about it.

Something I know nothing about? Are you serious? :rolleyes: Did you read my whole post?I have worked on more than twice the amount of LT1 cars then there are replies to this thread.

I have put together MANY engine packages for customers and have put together many fully dressed LT1 and LS1's and at the end of the day you are going to get the better bang for your buck with the LS1.

And yes you have to take off a couple of the main parts of the front of the motor to get to it, which sucks to have to do with fans, radiator etc.. in the way, it is just a shitty deal anyway ya slice it, and it is not cheap.

The LT1 vs LS1 thing has been discussed to death and it is obvious which is superior because of what the general stuck with and the crazy N/A factory numbers the LS based engine are doing from the factory.

The LT1 when properly assembled and running correctly is a great motor. I was just stating that if someone has a choice between the 2, the LS1 IN MY OPINION is the better choice..The person who started this thread asked for opinions, so of course some people may not agree. Leave it to the immature and close minded people to try and start drama.

Really, you are picking that battle with the wrong person my friend, you act as if I personally attacked you and you tried to insult me......grow up!

Rich

Welcome to Columbus Racing Rich, this is why I'm here is all the entertainment!!

stock for stock the LS1 will be easier to maintain in the long run.

the engine is lighter so it typically should handle better.

I have saw ls1's go 9s!!!!! with stock rods, pistons and crank!!!!!!!!!!!!

and the particular car is daily driven! :cool:

I personally haven't saw that out of an LT1.

I have saw the various cars Leo has built/designed the build for.

QUALITY WORK. even on LT1 cars. Just too much of a gap between the ls1 and lt1 in power levels, gas mileage, drive ability, tuning and other levels of performance

This is going to be a daily driver folks, maybe some occasional autocrossing as drag isn't the only kind of racing out there!!

I may be totally off but a set of QA1s with springs are priced around teh $420s if i am correct. which can be adjusted from drag to road/autox with a spanner wrench. with that said the LS1 being the lighter of the 2 would be superior for handling :cool:

LS1 FTW