The New Maxima's

Martin

It's called "CVT" or continuosly variable transmission. It uses some type of belt/pulley system to constantly adjust the transmissions speed with the engines. A friend of mine drove a car with one recently and said it was wierd, the engine was always at the same speed depending on the pedal position but it never shifted, just constantly accelerated.

NO belts, No pulleys if its like the Lexus CVT. I cannot remember the name for it, but its basically two sun gears, two sets of planetary gears (like in an auto trans) and the capability to hold both, one, or none. It pretty much changes gear ratios constantly. I believe as input shaft speeds up, it can slowly start to apply the gearing to allow a numerically higher ratio then apply more and more until eventually arriving at an overdrive ratio. My lazy ass isnt going to get my CVT manual either! :)

Its designed to keep the engine at torque peak all the time during full throttle acceleration, or anywhere below that in proportion to throttle input.

That would really fuckin bother me to never feel my car shift. :nod:

100% agree. I read up a little on that whole CVT thing a while back. Interesting concept but no way would I want it, it just seems goofy to me.

Can't be any worse than the ones in our W-Bodies :(

Not feeling it shift or shifting it myself....that would be weird. As long as it hauls ass though.......not sure how it affect performance.

I can't see those transmissions taking to mods very well. I've ridden in the nissan suv that has it. Just fucking wierd.