Byers Mazda Subaru - Paul Lyskett Service Manager

SpaceGhost

Warning, long post.

Deep breath.....This is a long outstanding problem with Paul the Service Manager.

I took my car in at 12,xxx miles and had aftermarket pads put on the car that I had purchased because Subaru was unable to make the grinding noise of my bakes to stop with the OEM pads. I was told at that time (verbal Agreement) that the rotors and other brakes parts would be under warranty. Just not the pads. I was cool with that.

SO I take it in last week to schedule the 30,000 mile maintenance and to talk about my below spec rotors. He said he didn't think he would warranty the rotors because of the pads. I then remind him of our verbal agreement about the rotors, because I would not have used the pads if it voided my warranty. He then agrees and calls Subaru and he says they are being "good willed" not "warantied". He says they just need turned and if they are below spec then Subaru will replace. (I knew they were below spec so I said cool)

I took my STI in for it's 30,000 mile service wed night and to have the rotors checked/replaced under warranty. The 30,000 mile maintenance is almost $600. They replace tranny fluid, brake fluid, Differential fluid, and coolant and check a lot of other things. (I have no where to dispose of all of this lubricant so I pay the fee) I drop it off wed. night and my appointment is Thursday morning. I ask to get a rental for the evening and the next day and he tells me no. :confused: I can't use the 10% coupon for service and get a rental car, one or the other! :mad: We get no rental. I ask Paul at this time do you have the rotors in stock if he has to replace them? ;) He says oh yes most definitely, no worries. I ask do you want to check? He says no. They get to work on it that night though.

I get a call Thurs morning that says they are going to replace the rotors but they don't have them in stock. :o :asshole: SO they have to be Next day aired and I can't have my car until Fri. At that point I send my wife there and she gets a rental car for his screw up. Paul tells my wife the car will be done at 1 pm Fri. We then get the rental car.

Now I call up today at 1:15 since I have not heard from him yet. I can't get through "service is busy with customers and can't talk, leave a voicemail". :mad: SO I leave to meet my wife up there because we scheduled to drop off the rental car at 1. She was going to be in Dublin around then. So I leave to go up there even though I know the car is not done we don't need the rental anymore. I get a call half way of me arriving there. Paul said he called you last night, and left you a voicemail about your calipers. We just got your "calipers" in and now they have to be put on the car and the car should be done about 3:00pm. :confused: I get there and ask what was wrong with my calipers? He tells me "I thought I left you a voicemail last night about this" :rolleyes: They got so hot that the mounting bolt sized on and the bolt stripped off. My thought: "OK I get new calipers out of this cool." I then ask him to re-balance the two front tires before driving it because I had the tires balanced with weights that stick on the inside of the rim and they chipped the paint off the calipers because they didn’t clear them. Those weights were still on them. I didn't want the new calipers chipped.

Get this:

He tells me of all excuses that at 1:45 pm he doesn't have enough time left in the day with all the other work in the shop to Balance them. I then state again, I will pay to have it done. He assures me again there is no time to do so it is not a money thing. I then tell him I know damn well that a slow person balancing a tire takes all of 5 min. He then says no it takes longer. :eek: I can't believe what I am hearing! :asshole:

This guy has dicked me from the first time I have ever spoke to him, my next step is to contact the General Manager of Byers and explain that I am canceling another appointment for my wife’s 30,000 mile maintenance ($600) and will most likely never buy a car or do business with them at all because of Paul the service manager. I am at the end of my rope, not enough time left in the day to balance two tires after fighting to get them to replace 2 rotors and Calipers and pads.

If you have a Subaru or Mazda, don't go there, bottom line!

I am still waiting to get may car back and I am dreading going back up there, I am questioning if the maintenance was even done. Anybody know how I could tell?

I feel your pain. My wife and I had an MPV that we sold to my inlaws. AT 30k it needed new tires, bit early I thought, but we didn't rotate them at all and well....end of that....so my father in law gets new tires put on. I bought them at TireRack and he brought them there. Huges savings.

He picks the car up and begins to drive home and notices a thumping noise on the freeway. He turns around goes back, they look at it in the parking lot and tell him they don't have time to put it up on a lift today, but it appears fine. He's easy going and passive so he comes to our place, stays the night and goes back in the morning.

They look it over and at the end of the f'ing day call him to say it's the tires. I'm like WTF? So I drive it and think, well it could be, but I look them over and can't see anything, but it could be balance or even a belt.

I wasn't about to send them to tire rack, so I had a cool guy at Discount Tire that hooked me up on a past car look at them and he said, no, the tires are fine, it's the installation. I'm like WTF? He said they over torqued them and bent the driver side front in the process. Overall the road force was good on all but that one and showed clearly they cuased the damage. Mind you the car was smooooth until they touched it.

Long story short, they tried like crazy to point it to the tires, then to me or someone else, but in the end, they f'd it up and eventually made it right.

It just kills me that they dick around customers like they do. They aren't alone. All dealers do to some extent. It's all about the people, not necessarily the dealership itself.

Funny thing is Byers Chevy always gave me a rental and treated me like a king when I had my Trailblazer.

I just want to be able to walk in and ask for something to be fixed under waranty and not be told it isn't covered under waranty only to have to prove it is and then have them fix it. I don't want the car paid off I want the waranty to be followed. Subaru states that it has a 3/36 bumper to bumper waranty. It also states wear items are covered such as Brake pads and Windshield Wipers. Paul told me at first that Subaru does not waranty Brakes in the hopes that I would be a cash paying customer. I had to bring in my waranty. Then his tune changed, he is shady, bottom line. One would think I'm bringing in 2 cars and spending $1K out of my pocket on service that the brake waranty work that they still get paid for would be no problem.

Just got the call that the car is done, he said the tech told him the weights clear the calipers so he didn't re-balance the tires. :rolleyes:

really did they change the design of the caliper?

hell I remember back when the WRX was first introduced went there looking to buy one. But I wasn't allowed to test drive any of them since they were "too powerful". I laughed at them went to hatfield and they were more than happy to have me test drive it if i was serious about buying which I was took it for a test drive came back and since the just released the WRX they really were set on there price. Needless to say I didn't buy one.

No I have stick on weights that travel on the inside of the rim and go inbetween the caliper and rim when you drive. The clearence between there is only about 5-8mm. So if the weights stick up too far or the rim flexes during braking the space decreases and the weights hit the calipers.

I would send this thread to someone higher up in subaru, sometimes it helps to have someone with authority see things like this.

I for one will not be buying anything from them. They have been dicks to me every singe time I have gone there. I got the same "it's too powerful" thing and I pulled up in my cobra. I hope this works out for you in the end.

wow...this sounds horrible. I purchased my car there and know exactly who your talking about.

I have not been back mostly because it is out of my way, BUT my 30k service is coming up and I was planning on going there. Now, not a chance.

My lease is up next January... and I most likely will not be getting another subaru from there if this is how customers are treated. Hatfield just got another customer come jan.

I agree, byers FTL. I've got an 06 Mazda3s and the service department at the Mazda side of byers SUCKS DONKEY ASS. I ONLY have to go when necessary. I do all my own oil change/minor service, and have had all my major services done by Derek at NTB/Firestone, much cheaper and he's a friend.

But at the same time, Tanksy Toyota sucks dick too, my 2004 Matrix was in a few times and they were straight up bitches about even the smallest shit.

Funny thing is, 4-5 years ago when I was a highschool kid and had a focus, I could go to any Ford dealer and get damn good service, never had one complaint/problem not resolved.

Weird...

anytime you have work done, always ask for the old parts. And be sure you know what your parts look like, because ive had someone try to give me parts off a Kia for my Z24... needless to say, I didnt pay a dime after a few minutes on the phone.

If you're leasing the car, screw the 30k service.....it's not even a worry for you. You'll likely trade or sell the car, not drop it off. Even if you do drop it off, you're not required to do the 30k service for any reason.

wow...this sounds horrible. I purchased my car there and know exactly who your talking about.

I have not been back mostly because it is out of my way, BUT my 30k service is coming up and I was planning on going there. Now, not a chance.

My lease is up next January... and I most likely will not be getting another subaru from there if this is how customers are treated. Hatfield just got another customer come jan.

I own the car. The whole thing about this stuff is I think Paul thinks I know nothing about my car. But in reality I most likely know more than he does. He has to be mad that I told him they were below spec (28mm) and he argued and was wrong. Now he had to replace them and he looks like a dummy.

This is by no means a first link in my sig post, but I must say that any shop other than the dealer has to be cheaper for these checkups.. Hell our 30,60,90 maint packs, do an oil change air filter, spark plugs, coolant, tranny, and 3 step fuel system cleaning. run about $319 on a 4cyl. and they're hardly doing anything we're not.

My mom and I went to byers subaru a few years back. We were considering a WRX wagon for her. We got the same story about how a 50 yr old woman couldn't be trusted in a vehicle with that kind of "power."

Also, their sales department is all about pressuring clients. Talk about obnoxious. We had to work hard to get out of there and have received at least 20 follow up phone calls from them!

In the end, mom decided to stick with Saabs. Theres something about Saab and my family... :rolleyes:

Guest Removed
This is by no means a first link in my sig post, but I must say that any shop other than the dealer has to be cheaper for these checkups.. Hell our 30,60,90 maint packs, do an oil change air filter, spark plugs, coolant, tranny, and 3 step fuel system cleaning. run about $319 on a 4cyl. and they're hardly doing anything we're not.

subs are higher priced, but damn.(just on plug labor)

none dealer FTW :cool:

We always got the same run around when we wanted to test drive a WRX or STI. They wanted to check our credit first and see if "we could afford it". I love to drive up in the biggest pos car and see the kind of disrespect you get. If they treat me bad, I don't buy from there.

Spaceghost- the brakes are under warranty? Mine have been making scraping noises for about 4 + months now.

I've told everyone that will listen for the last 2 years, Byers Mazda/Subaru is one dealership you should never go to. I've been there twice looking for a new car and both times the service was less then steller. When I got my Mazda they wouldn't even deal on price and wouldn't honor my supplier discount. I told them how much I could get the car for at another dealer but I would buy a color I hated (yellow) if they could make me a better deal. They said they wouldn't budge from sticker price and would charge me ~$400 to get the color I did want from another dealer. Then they lied to me about how far they had to go for that car. I went to another dealer and I got the car for about $3-4000 less with all the discounts and cash back that was offered.

I later went back to look for a Subaru and ended up with the same horrible salesman. The lack of interest he showed in helping us out completely turned my mom off to the dealership. After driving around the block we brought the car back and bought an Acura down the road.

Spaceghost- the brakes are under warranty? Mine have been making scraping noises for about 4 + months now.

Take it to the dealer and complain, yes they are under waranty. Subaru even warantie Pad until 36k Miles. I had all rotors, Pads, changed at 12K miles because they grind when stopping, then just now 34K miles they replaced my Front Rotors, pads, and Calipers.