MP3 vs. CD format

ChevyMan1972

Yea I noticed that. I have a copy of MP3 125 songs from Joe Satrani and they are 210 bit rate. Boy on my system in my car.....it just blows my mind how well it sounds! I am so freakin happy the way things tured out...

Thanks guy's!

Dan

Mp3's will never be the same quality as CD.. a little FYI, the mp3 is actually a compression filetype, and the quality after any type of encoding compression wise is NEVER as good as the original file type.

Mp3's will never be the same quality as CD.. a little FYI, the mp3 is actually a compression filetype, and the quality after any type of encoding compression wise is NEVER as good as the original file type.

nobody said anything about music transcoded from other formats. there are plenty of artists who release music straight to a digital medium.

yep, that's pretty much the truth..

The other thing that no one here has mentioned, Even if an MP3 had 50 times the quality of CD audio, the biggest limiting factor is the source of the recording that the MP3 is ripped from. If you have a drive full of these way better than CD quality MP3's that are ripped from an 8 Track tape, it's never going to be any better than the 8 track tape was when you recorded it to begin with.

Now, someone i bound to mention the current level of DSP that can clean up that 8 track tape recording and remove the hiss and flutter from it. This is true, but you will NEVER restore the frequency range of the original performance or it's dymanic range for that matter. This is why for some people, records still are king. You honestly have no idea what good sound reproduction is until you go listen to a classical music recording on a Telarc disk played on a $4000 plus record player. It's truely unreal.

Take a trip up to campus to the stereo shop some time and politely ask them for a demonstration of the difference, be assured you can hear it, expecially with something with alot of dynamic range to it like the 1812 overture. The Telarc recording was done with real cannon fire and not a dubbing or recording or that sound. CD's you only hear a loud boom, and typical recordings it is muddy, through the right stuff, it's like you are lighting the cannon yourself. BTW, be up front with them at the store, the stuff they have in there, at least part of it, the stuff I am talking about would cost as much as a new car.

I must not be as picky as some since I don't own any CD's any more. I have over 8k songs in mp3 format. Most all are at 192-320 bit rate. I can't tell the difference and even on the a few that are at a lower bit rate, it's fine with me in the car. At home, I don't often play music unless we're having a party where I'm usually drunk and could care less :D