how to get better gas mileage!........?

morabu

My right foot = 12-14mpg in the City

My wife's right foot = 16-18mpg in the City

My right foot = 24-26mpg Highway

My wife's right foot = 28-32mpg in Highway

Solution....let my wife drive my GXP while I take the minivan.

Savings = Not a chance in hell. Goodbye Polar Bears! :p

I suppose I could get my car re-tuned back to factory, and gain back some mpg's but I like her the way she is now so much that I'll pass on that option too.

My brother and I used acetone for awhile. He saw a small increase in gas mileage, definitely not 2x, and he drove mostly on the highway from Kent to Columbus.

I, however, saw almost no increase in my gas mileage (a lot more stop and go driving). Because it is a pain in the ass I gave up on it and the effects weren't worth it. Getting it in some sort of bottle and keeping it off the paint and all that shit, meh, I'll pass.

• 3 weeks later...

After seeing several posts on other boards and then the ones here, I decided to try it in my company Van (Chrysler T&C Limited) and then my GXP.

I call BS on this type of stuff a lot but what the hell.

My findings after a few weeks using the Driver Info. Center (DIC) in both cars

Chrysler Van:

Before Acetone:

Normal Avg MPG with my wife driving around the city with mix of freeways and cbus traffic

18-20mpg

After two tanks of acetone:

the DIC in the car read today 23mpg

Grand Prix GXP

Before Acetone:

My normal driving since I've been behind the wheel 99% lately with near zero if any highway, mainly suburban cbus traffic

12-14mpg

After Acetone:

the DIC in the car read today 16mpg

I consider me getting 16mpg in the GXP a feat since I never get near that and driver it like it's meant to be driven.

My conclusion is after two tanks of gas in the van and in the GXP 1/2 tank of use and two weeks of tooling around town is that there is a benefit to both my cars. I hope to continue seeing more of a benefit out of the GXP as I pay for gas in that sucker. The van is free, but a good test mule.

Only time will tell how the cars fully average. I don't always track it, but in the GXP I do more so since it eats gas. When I'm driving it, the avg is usually 13mpg. I'll continue in both vehicles and report back for those that care.

Things that make me go hmmmmm.......

I wasn't going to but a neighbor of mine who is a tree hugger type has been using it in his Ford Truck for years. Evidently it's "new again" but old news :confused:

Anyway, he swears by it and hasn't had any issues and his truck has over 83k on it. It's such a small amount and it does burn clean......

I heard about this a year or so ago... but I've never had the guts to try it....

A bit more "down to earth" tips that don't involve chemically altering your fuel or strapping on a battery...

- Tire pressure: Sure the car makers typically say 32-35 psi, but look at your side walls. Odds are they're good for 40-50psi, so do it. The ride won't be as smooth, but the rolling resistance (force against the car because of sidewall deformation as the wheel rolls) goes down, driving both mileage and maneuverability up (cops often run at max sidewall on the cruisers, and even higher on training cars).

- Rims: Ditch the steel and go to lightweight alloys and pie-plate hubcaps. Less weight on the rims means less work for the engine, and the pieplates improve airflow around the wheel wells. There's a reason Honda had those fins covering the rear wells of the Insight, even if it did look like ass.

- Light foot: You don't need all 300 horses coming out of a stoplight. I'm not telling you to drive like a nearsighted granny, but using even 50 you'll still come out at a respectable pace, and lower revs = higher mileage.

- Oil: Lightweight and synth for the win. Lights flow more easily, especially in winter, while synths last longer and are more consistent during their lifetime. But you guys already knew that :cool:

- Those with manuals: Shift earlier. Yeah, you won't leave the field breathing your fumes, but higher gears mean higher miles.

A bit more "down to earth" tips that don't involve chemically altering your fuel or strapping on a battery...

- Tire pressure: Sure the car makers typically say 32-35 psi, but look at your side walls. Odds are they're good for 40-50psi, so do it. The ride won't be as smooth, but the rolling resistance (force against the car because of sidewall deformation as the wheel rolls) goes down, driving both mileage and maneuverability up (cops often run at max sidewall on the cruisers, and even higher on training cars).

- Rims: Ditch the steel and go to lightweight alloys and pie-plate hubcaps. Less weight on the rims means less work for the engine, and the pieplates improve airflow around the wheel wells. There's a reason Honda had those fins covering the rear wells of the Insight, even if it did look like ass.

- Light foot: You don't need all 300 horses coming out of a stoplight. I'm not telling you to drive like a nearsighted granny, but using even 50 you'll still come out at a respectable pace, and lower revs = higher mileage.

- Oil: Lightweight and synth for the win. Lights flow more easily, especially in winter, while synths last longer and are more consistent during their lifetime. But you guys already knew that :cool:

- Those with manuals: Shift earlier. Yeah, you won't leave the field breathing your fumes, but higher gears mean higher miles.

Something about 0-60 in 11.x second's doesn't seem to be worth any amount of MPG...

;)

Something about 0-60 in 11.x second's doesn't seem to be worth any amount of MPG...

;)

Heheh... I've never actually floored the thing to find out just how slow it really is. After driving it for a year, though, I'd have to say it doesn't feel bad, and the only place I've ever actually wished I had a more horses is 315S > 270E. It does everything I could ask of a daily driver, and there's nothing better than shoving my foot up Halliburton's ass every time I take it out :cool:

yeah, but for 42-44mpg, I will live with a Prius to save the cash I'm blowing running around town. it's a bit faster than the Civic and yielded better mpg's in my two day drives around the burbs in each. overall impression was it was as drivable and felt like a civic ex which I drove as well.

;)