It's official - GM has lost

copperhead

Most people think import cars are better because they are clueless and need the dumbshits at Consumer Reports to tell them what to think.

Whaaaa, the Cobalt interior looks like crap. Well it looks as good as a Corolla IMO. People that buy Cobatls don't buy them for their interiors. Hell, the interior on my '91 S10 is as plain and simple and basic as you can get, and I like it. If you want a nice interior, go buy a Buick or Cadillac or something that costs more than 18k brand new and was targeted to the high school and college market (I am referring to the Cobalt).

GM build quality is just as good, if not better, than Toyota or Honda or whoever you wanna compare them to. Some of you guys should try talking to a mechanic sometime, they might change your views. Ever notice that 75% of the mechanics at Roush Honda drive a Chevy? True story.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wife drives a Matrix, best damn car I've ever owned. She beats the shit out of it with her lack of driving skills and has put 50k miles on the car and it has never missed a beat. Plus it gets 40+mpg on the hwy. Sure it could be a little better sound insulated, but for under $15k what do you expect.

Then again, I haven't had a single issue with my 06 Mazda3s and I'm nearing 25k miles now and I too beat on it being a 4cylinder, but for a daily its awesome and much quieter/smoother ride than the Toyota, for just a little more, but it definitely sucks for gas mpg, good luck getting 30mpg hwy.

But what is Mazda considered?

Mazda is owned by Ford

No shit, but they are like 90% built in Japan and have almost all foreign parts. I remember when I bought my car, one of the window stickers said the percentage of Japan parts and then I got the shippers bill, rail slip, etc, from japan. So i wasn't sure what people considered it. import/domestic?

I mean Honda is import but they are built 30miles north of my house...go figure.

Well damn, dont get snotty with me about it. You asked what Mazda was considered, so I assumed you didnt know who made mazdas. Excuse the hell out of me. I guess I would call it an import though if I had to classify it.

I didn't mean to jump all over you, I just figured my question was clear that I knew that Mazda was owned by Ford, but that it was built overseas, so therefore I was unsure...

Which is exactly what I thought, an IMPORT but in most basic repects its a FORD.

Weird huh?

I think that the numbers I heard were higher than your links, as they were counting indirect employees also....

all I know is that I prefer Toyota and my FJ will tow the hell out of a Sky. :)

If you count 'indirect employees' I assume you're talking about people that work for suppliers of Toytoa parts? Or maybe contract/temp workers?

Toyota does carry more temp workers then a company like GM (thank the UAW) but that's not going to be near 100,000+ people.

If you could people that work for suppliers that have Toyota contracts then you would have to count most of those people for GM too. Companies like that have business with almost every car maker. One of Toyota's biggest suppliers is Delphi. That's why they were just as scared of a Delphi worker strike and GM. The company I work for has business with GM, Ford, Toyota, Chrysler, Nissan (that's what we do in the US. Overseas we do Merceds, BMW, VW, even Bugatti!), and you'll see the same trend through the entire industry.

p.s. The Sky (stock) may not tow as much as your FJ, but I can corner hard without rolling over.

Well damn, dont get snotty with me about it. You asked what Mazda was considered, so I assumed you didnt know who made mazdas. Excuse the hell out of me. I guess I would call it an import though if I had to classify it.

actually mazda makes mazdas yes Ford owns them, the only mazda's that ford as a hand-in in building arethe B-2000 (truck) and the mazda 6 (but not the mazdaspeed 6 that is built in japan).

Bam your right the 3 is 90% built in Japan and 10% in Canada.

It doesn't surprise me that Toyota took over the first quarter spot and will likely continue to pull on GM.

I don't care who compares what...who employs more, who is more profitable, who owns who, who OEM's what to who, Interior quality, mechanical problems, warranty, etc.....bottom line is the market has spoken and Toyota world wide just trumped the Big Dog.

It doesn't surprise me that Toyota took over the first quarter spot and will likely continue to pull on GM.

I don't care who compares what...who employs more, who is more profitable, who owns who, who OEM's what to who, Interior quality, mechanical problems, warranty, etc.....bottom line is the market has spoken and Toyota world wide just trumped the Big Dog.

Well said.

Most people think import cars are better because they are clueless and need the dumbshits at Consumer Reports to tell them what to think.

Whaaaa, the Cobalt interior looks like crap. Well it looks as good as a Corolla IMO. People that buy Cobatls don't buy them for their interiors. Hell, the interior on my '91 S10 is as plain and simple and basic as you can get, and I like it. If you want a nice interior, go buy a Buick or Cadillac or something that costs more than 18k brand new and was targeted to the high school and college market (I am referring to the Cobalt).

GM build quality is just as good, if not better, than Toyota or Honda or whoever you wanna compare them to. Some of you guys should try talking to a mechanic sometime, they might change your views. Ever notice that 75% of the mechanics at Roush Honda drive a Chevy? True story.

People like different cars for different reasons, many of which don't fall under the category of being "clueless". Toyotas and Hondas and the like worked their way up from being under-dogs. Good for them.