mechanical engineer co-op/entry level job.. anyone???

ColumbusDrift

anyone know of any companies that would hire me??

looking to finish up my last year of electro-mechanical engineering from miami university, but im more focused on the mechanical part such as cad, cam, design, cnc programming, quality control, q basic...etc

i am basically all finish all my engineering classes and working on a 3.3gpa right now I just need to take all my basic courses. So if anyone knows of anything or companies i should look at please let me know...I will be in columbus area for a while

ive tried

boeing, hirsvogel,honda, siemans, smiths medical and they all wont hire me

try getting in contact with eaton. One of my roomates here at OSU that is ME has been co-oping with them for a few summers and says they always have positions left open. They pay really well plus you get to go different places and they help with rent a lot. I know this year he is New Jersey with $1000/month living stipend plus pay

Why wouldn't the other companies hire you? You should probably figure that out first so you can improve before applying someplace else. How is your resume, is your engineering core GPA low?

It looks like Battelle currently has job listings for both co-ops and interns within the EDMS department:

https://recruit.battelle.org/ENG/candidates/default.cfm?szCategory=jobprofile&szOrderID=13792&szCandidateID=0&szSearchWords=&szReturnToSearch=1

https://recruit.battelle.org/ENG/candidates/default.cfm?szCategory=jobprofile&szOrderID=13793&szCandidateID=0&szSearchWords=&szReturnToSearch=1

If you are interested, I suggest you address the weak areas that caused the other companies to pass on you, and then apply online ASAP as the co-op/intern spots here are pretty competitive to get into. You can also PM me if you have any questions. Good luck.

Brett

So, should I take it that the mechanical engineering job market is not-so-good? It sounds like you are exactly where I plan to be in another few years.

PS. What did you think of the Miami engineering school? I love the campus, but was leaning toward a bigger name school - like Purdue or Kettering.

You could try contacting LuK Incorporated in Wooster. That's where I co-oped and they pay seniors pretty well. They usually have quite a few co-ops around.

Same here, not too bad of a place. Plenty of quality control to get into.

i dont know why they pass on me.. Then again with big corporations, they just dont get back to me, as if they werent interested or they never knew i applied...

but then again im not trying as hard to finding one as i should be since im soo busy.. gpa is great, but i just have experience in the field...REsume is strong and have great fit qualifications of any apprentice engineer.

Miami University is ok....My advisor work with me well.. but then again my situaton on how i go to school there is quite unique since i take classes over a t.v. screen at columbus state now...

I suggest going to a much better engineering school like osu, or even toledo if you want to be in the field around ohio.

thanks for the help guys

So, should I take it that the mechanical engineering job market is not-so-good? It sounds like you are exactly where I plan to be in another few years.

Exactly the opposite, there is a very strong demand for mechanical engineers currently. My department has hired 6 within the last 12 months, and plans to add several more. However, there are enough exceptional applicants that employers are able to be even more selective. So, you either need a very strong GPA (all 3 of our current new interview candidates are at a 3.9+ GPA), a graduate degree, or you need to have experience in specific areas that companies are looking for. For example, work with finite element analysis is a good qualification to have and will help get your foot in the door at the bigger companies. That is why I asked the thread starter about his resume and his core engineering GPA.

i dont know why they pass on me.. Then again with big corporations, they just dont get back to me, as if they werent interested or they never knew i applied...

but then again im not trying as hard to finding one as i should be since im soo busy.. gpa is great, but i just have experience in the field...REsume is strong and have great fit qualifications of any apprentice engineer. thanks for the help guys

Maybe it's the gratuitous... use of elipses... in your resume... and cover letter?

• 2 months later...
this is jakin's good friend mike, me and him take it back as we both learned 240's together.. ive heard of you but never got around to meeting you when i moved down to columbus. i havent gotten around to changing the whole profile yet, but decided to take over the name since he's out in michigan now

this is jakin's good friend mike, me and him take it back as we both learned 240's together.. ive heard of you but never got around to meeting you when i moved down to columbus. i havent gotten around to changing the whole profile yet, but decided to take over the name since he's out in michigan now

oh I see, thats cool. Yeah I remember hearing about you and if I remember correctly your 240 is pretty quick. I'm out in indy now so oh well.