Transferring CC balances

MrMeanGreen

I just applied and got a Platinum Mastercard through my old account at Navy Federal Credit Union to keep it open. They approved me for a substancial amount @ 10.9% fixed.

I currently have three CC accounts, all said they total about a $2k balance. I'd like to transfer all three balances to the NFCU card due to the low APR and leave them hanging open just for credit reasons (length of revolving credit account BS).

Has anyone done this, and if so, what steps did you take? Any tips and/or advice would be appreciated. Thanks :)

That's pretty much the way to do it. Then leave the others alone. If you are going to carry a balance, the lower the % of the limit the better it is for your credit score. If you have a $6500 limit, I would work on paying that thing down asap after the transfer.

What about a transfer fee?? Read the small print as a lot of companies charge a % fee on balance transfers that can negate a lot of the savings you could have. Can't help much more than that as I stay away from credit cards and have only read into doing what you are, and never done it.

I agree with Joe. 10.9 is good, but there are a ton of cards that offer 0% interest on transfer balances for the 1st year or so. That should save you quite a bit of interest from your 10.9%. They will ask you for the other credit card #'s and balances when enrolling. Or alot of times you can do this on their website.

IMO 10.9% isn't even a good rate. I think mine, after the 0% is over, and still a lower percentage.

That said, if I'm still carrying a balance by the time it is up, I'll just get another 0% card and transfer the remainder to that. Why pay interest for no reason??

Personally, I would look into the CC's that offer a LOW TRANSFER Rate (ie, 5/3). The last I looked, they had a fixed transfer rate of 3.9 for 12 months. Get the card and transfer the balance. Use the checks they send w/ the card to pay off the other CC's if they will not let you pay by CC.

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Guest Mekkahfire
I don't understand what this sentence means.

He's saying his card is 0% for a certain amount of time. If he remembers right, even after that time period has ended, the new rate is still lower then 10.9%

Sounds like you already have your answer, but yeah, just to reiterate, I called them up and they simply asked me who to make the check out to, the mailing address of the biller, and my account number with them. They take care of the rest, no fees.

NFCU rocks. I have a Platinum Visa at 9.9% APR, and a used vehicle loan at 4.9%.

Guest Mekkahfire
Sounds like you already have your answer, but yeah, just to reiterate, I called them up and they simply asked me who to make the check out to, the mailing address of the biller, and my account number with them. They take care of the rest, no fees.

NFCU rocks. I have a Platinum Visa at 9.9% APR, and a used vehicle loan at 4.9%.

Whats your age?

Whats your age?

It says right under his name....

Anyways i just went through all this last week. Got 0% for a year and then 9.99 fixed after that. I transfered my other balance over to it by just calling them and giving them my other cc number. Some do have transfer fees some don't. It takes a total of 5-10 min. of your time.

Guest Mekkahfire
Can anyone reccomend a good 0% balance transfer option? Weblink, etc.. I pay almost 15% on my cards because of my age. e-rape.

Two years ago, I was shot down for a $200 credit card application and my becon score was in the 570s.

Today, after over 50hrs invested on the phone in the last year chasing my past and correcting some fuck-ups (mine and other people's), I'm at what you see above and a becon in the low 700s.

So Joe, not everyone is a golden boy like you with perfect credit. I had to work my ass off to get mine where it's at now, so I'm personally pleased.

Guest Mekkahfire

Share the knowledge brother, I have a few unpaid medical bills from when I didnt have health insurance and I had a random epileptic seizure.. And a few late payments from when I didnt have a job long ago.

Id like to get those taken off.. How'd you do it?

^^ someone remind me tomorrow when I'm at my desk. I will post what is needed and looked at for credit.^^

If you are liking NFCU, than you may want to look into USAA too. I don't use CC's, but did the loan with my Suby through them. They offered a great card and are great to work with. They are the only card I have and I've had no issues with them.

I have been tracking my credit and wifes credit for 3 years now. Transfer all the cards onto the NFCU and then pay it all off as soon as possible. My wife and I were doing the same thing, keeping credit card balances, then decided I really didn't care if it helped my score keeping them and we paid them all off. We got a 40 point jump.

You can sign up for score watch at http://www.myfico.com or http://www.debthelp.com for like $9.95 a month and it monitors your credit score. Pay the cards off, do score watch for a month and see what it does for you.

Now the only cards we use are ones that give us 1%+ back on all purchases. Pay them off monthly to avoid Finance charges. We make a pretty big chunk every month.

Jason

Fuck USAA. One speeding ticket and they tripled my insurance rates and dropped me to their "high risk" underwriting.

Jason, I'm trying to accomplish what you did for the exact reasons. Although building a "Sam Killer" Formula is against my better judgement :grin2: