Anyplace local to "try on" racing seats.

Tinman

There are hundreds of places to purchase a racing seat online but I would prefer to sit in a few to find the right fit before laying out any cash. Is there anyplace in cenral Ohio that has a decent selection on display?

Also if your not sure most seat manufacturers have sizes posted online, so just go to a race shop that knows how to measure you so you can know what seats will work for you. Obviously that route doesn't tell you how comfy they really are and wether they will still fit you right.....just food for thought.

Matt, Corbeau seats and most like them will not be FIA approved. My aluminum seat is not FIA approved either, the only ones you will typically find like that are "Cobra" seats and the like.

My understanding when I looked into a seat is the FIA cannot approve a metal framed style seat like ones that come in most street cars as they are designed to work differently in a crash than race type seat. So, just because they aren't FIA approved doesn't mean they aren't safe, unless your going for a type of legit racing that requires this type of seat.

The set at the shop are older sparco's, couldnt find the model, non adjustable, blue center black edges. They dont fit real well in a FC if thats the goal. But they would be cheap. Really cheap.

The set at the shop are older sparco's, couldnt find the model, non adjustable, blue center black edges. They dont fit real well in a FC if thats the goal. But they would be cheap. Really cheap.

Yea, I'll have to pass on those. Thanks for checking though Rob, I appreciate the effort.

Matt, Corbeau seats and most like them will not be FIA approved. My aluminum seat is not FIA approved either, the only ones you will typically find like that are "Cobra" seats and the like.

My understanding when I looked into a seat is the FIA cannot approve a metal framed style seat like ones that come in most street cars as they are designed to work differently in a crash than race type seat. So, just because they aren't FIA approved doesn't mean they aren't safe, unless your going for a type of legit racing that requires this type of seat.

Good points Ben. I do plan on getting more serious with the road racing and thought I might as well invest in a nice well fitting seat that could follow me through different cars. On that note, didn't you purchase a custom fitted seat not too long ago? If so please pass along the details.

Good points Ben. I do plan on getting more serious with the road racing and thought I might as well invest in a nice well fitting seat that could follow me through different cars. On that note, didn't you purchase a custom fitted seat not too long ago? If so please pass along the details.

Your seat doesn't neccessarily have to be FIA certified. The key to it is having the seat mounted properly, bolted to a rear roll bar(if you have it) and to the floor. In most racing series if it's mounted properly it will be legal to run. Your best bet would be to consult with a race shop that is current with SCCA and NASA rules. "Bender Race Cars" is where I got my seat and had it installed, he's maybe not the cheapest but he does great work and won't lead you wrong.

Mine is a "Butler Racing" seat, basically an aluminum bucket like a Kirkey but IMO a far better built seat. I had to have it custom made because of my torso height is much taller than most people and my shoulders were about 4in above normal seat belt holes. It took some time to have it made but man was it worth it, though it's an aluminum seat and it's comfort is limited.