nanny required for all US cars by 2012

cptn janks

shit better come with an off switch

Feds Order Electronic Stability Control on All Cars

Automakers Have Until 2012 to Comply

By Joe Benton

ConsumerAffairs.Com

Federal regulators will require new automobiles to be equipped with anti-rollover technology know as electronic stability control (ESC) by 2012.

Auto safety experts describe stability control systems as the single most important vehicle safety improvement since the seat belt. ESC reduces the risk of all single-vehicle crashes by more than 40 percent and fatal crashes by 56 percent, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

ESC systems use automatic computer-controlled braking of individual wheels to help the driver maintain control in situations where a vehicle without ESC would skid out of control and likely leave the road.

Nearly all rollover crashes occur after a vehicle leaves the road.

The proposed National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) rule would require all manufacturers to begin equipping passenger vehicles under 10,000 pounds with ESC starting with the 2009 model year and to have the system available as standard equipment on all vehicles by the 2012 model year or September 2011 when the model year begins.

NHTSA estimates that ESC will save between 5,300 and 10,300 lives annually and prevent between 168,000 and 252,000 injuries. ESC will prevent between 4,200 and 5,400 of the more than 10,000 deaths that occur each year as a result of rollover crashes, according to NHTSA.

NHTSA also estimates that ESC systems required by the proposed regulation will cost $111 per vehicle on vehicles that already include ABS brakes.

Ford Motor Co. has announced that it would put stability control on its entire lineup by the end of 2009 and General Motors Corp. is planning to have the technology on all vehicles by 2010. Several automakers have made ESC standard equipment on SUVs.

Safety advocates have said the technology represents a crucial development in making cars, trucks and SUVs safer.

Joan Claybrook, president of the consumer oriented Public Citizen and a former administrator at NHTSA warns that it is difficult to predict how many lives ESC could save.

"Until you get it into production and onto vehicles, you don?t know how large the numbers are going to be," Claybrook said.

NHTSA announced the new regulation after two years of testing on more than 50 vehicles. Congress gave NHTSA until 2009 to issue a final regulation.

"We will need time to ensure that nothing in this proposed rule would inhibit our members to keep adding this life-saving technology to more and more vehicles," said Gloria Bergquist, vice president at the Alliance of Automotive Manufacturers, which represents General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co., DaimlerChrysler AG and Toyota Motor Corp.

NHTSA also must decide if it will permit off-road vehicles like Jeeps to have on/off switches for ESC. While the system helps prevent accidents, it also inhibits performance, especially for off-road vehicles.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/09/nhtsa_stability.html

why is this a bad thing?

I remember reading where Porsche added it to some of there cars (I forget which ones) but they ran betters times on a road course with it on. But they did have the option to turn them off.

+1

The only place I have seen it pose a possible issue is on a road course. It has been proven time and time again to help avoid accidents and save lives. Way too many people are in the bad habit of turning off the stability control as soon as they get into the car.

I'm sure its a hinderance if you are wanting to do your hillbilly burnouts...but christ..

google "Lexus VDIM"

Its the win. I love it. Makes driving an even more brainless feat when I am treking to work at 5:30am amidst the douche bags changing clothes, putting on make up, chatting on cell phones, or all of the above, all while drinking a 6 dollar coffee and reading the financial times and not understanding any of it.

google "Lexus VDIM"

Its the win. I love it. Makes driving an even more brainless feat when I am treking to work at 5:30am amidst the douche bags changing clothes, putting on make up, chatting on cell phones, or all of the above, all while drinking a 6 dollar coffee and reading the financial times and not understanding any of it.

This post is the best. Couldn't have said it better.

I've had 2 cars with it and it rocks in the rain/snow . You can turn it off with a switch and have some fun. But like on the mercedes If your doing to much spirited driving it will kick back on.

yes but can you think of the lawsuits if you get into a fatal accident and it's proven you turned your's OFF, or dissabled it somehow?

just what i was thinking. will probably be like the passenger airbag. if you get in a accident with the passenger airbag off and your passenger is killed you could be brought up on wrong full death charges. or something like that.

+1

The only place I have seen it pose a possible issue is on a road course. It has been proven time and time again to help avoid accidents and save lives. Way too many people are in the bad habit of turning off the stability control as soon as they get into the car.

I'm sure its a hinderance if you are wanting to do your hillbilly burnouts...but christ..

+1

There are lots of people out there that have no idea how bad it will save your ass. Whether you think you know how to drive is not important, the system can do things no driver can recover from. Most of you would be amazed at the speeds I have driven through certain road conditions and been perfectly comfortable.

Some people hear it kick on once and they immediately hate it, but it most likely just kept you on the road. One of my favorite stories is from a road ride in Sweden (that I was not on, this is second hand) where an executive was driving over 100 mph on an ice covered road and complained that he was getting ESC activations. He thought the system was too sensitive. He stopped the car, got out, and fell on his ass because the road was so slick.

it is nice. When I got my GXP I took her out into an icy wallmart parking lot and tried like crazy to spin out or loose control...no go. worst she did was take a slightly wider arc around a sharp curve.....but she went where I pointed her.

I am for this on all cars. Having my car drive better then I can in bad conditions is ok in my book.