cobra sounds like a diesel a little

yellowsnake

i didn't have a stethescope so i just put a screw driver to my ear and went around the car. sounds more like on the front of the vavle covers. passenger side is a little louder. so i started taking the upper intake off, took the plugs off noticed there was oil on the TOP side of 2 of the spark plugs. top i'm meaning where the plug bolts into the head and arounf there. seemed like alot to me. what could this be? bad rings? head gasket? could it have something to do with the sound and be rod bearings that i am hearing?

i've poste don here before and got they think its the timing chain guides or maybe an oil pump. after getting a quote of 700$ i fgured i'd start tearing it apart my self and see what i come up with. if anything i could save me about 400$ or so by tearing most of it apart myself unless i can get someone who knows a little more bout the tork specs and how to aline the cams and such. if the bottom end is ok then i'm just gonna have/put cams in since i'm already that far.

i dunno, but i heard that that screwdriver trick only works with a wooden handle, just an fyi. good luck with it, depending on the sound it could be low oil pressure, spun bearing, stuck lifter, etc

good luck

First, tell us what year car you have so people like me who intend to help don't have to look up your car domain page from your sig, which BTW does not work.

Second, the oil on the plugs is from hardened seals under your valve cover. They are not part of the valve cover gasket, they are ordered separately. You have 8. The best place to order these from is five star ford in Scottsdale, AZ. Ask for Max, tell him you know Eli in Worthington. You get a good price on all things Ford.

Third, the noise you are hearing could be a bad lifter, a bad rocker, piston slap, a rod or just low oil. These things are difficult to diagnose when not in person. How many miles? Has anything happened recently that would cause this? Have any modifications been made recently? The more information you can provide, the better others can assist you in diagnosing your issue.

My guess is it is an oil problem, either low oil or an oil passage is blocked to a lifter. Good luck. If you need help bad, PM me. I have had a lot of 4V Fords apart.

yeah that info would help my bad. lol. its a 96 cobra with 46,90x miles on it. as for mods, the motor is stock. hopefully i'll be able to get more into it this weekend. andyway i can tell about the oil pressure. and oil is full i just changed it. the gauge reads find but i've heard ford gauges will read good with only 5psi.

Have you ran the car hard recently? Have you worked on it recently ? I had a 5.0 litre motor I installed and I had some of the vacuum lines routed wrong or crossed and it sounded like valve noise , almost like no oil pressure . Once I found out the problem and fixed it the car was fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Go get a stethoscope- I just bought a craftsman one from sears for 17.00...if you know what you are listening to it is awesome....

btw- don't put it on your ears until you are close to where you want to go- bumping it on things under the car is deafening..

not sure on the problem. i only have the intake off. i'm slow. just not alot of time when u have a 2 year old and its summer. i'll finish it soon i hop.e

I understand. I have a 12 year old, 10 year old and 22 month old. All boys! :eek:

First, tell us what year car you have so people like me who intend to help don't have to look up your car domain page from your sig, which BTW does not work.

Second, the oil on the plugs is from hardened seals under your valve cover. They are not part of the valve cover gasket, they are ordered separately. You have 8. The best place to order these from is five star ford in Scottsdale, AZ. Ask for Max, tell him you know Eli in Worthington. You get a good price on all things Ford.

Third, the noise you are hearing could be a bad lifter, a bad rocker, piston slap, a rod or just low oil. These things are difficult to diagnose when not in person. How many miles? Has anything happened recently that would cause this? Have any modifications been made recently? The more information you can provide, the better others can assist you in diagnosing your issue.

My guess is it is an oil problem, either low oil or an oil passage is blocked to a lifter. Good luck. If you need help bad, PM me. I have had a lot of 4V Fords apart.

Take that to the bank.

You may have broke the oil pump gears. I just finished the install an oil pump on my car. It sounded like a diesel after the gears broke. I do have a brand new set of oil pump gears you can have for free if you need them.

so i got my valve cover off the passenger side, noticed it looked like the cam has almost hit the thing that holds the cam in place. is this normal? could it be once the engine gets hot the cam gets moved over for some reason? and i notced that the chain and chain guide on the cams was a little lose but then i turned the crank by hand and it tighted up. the one goin from the cam to the crank was tight the entire time. hopefully i'll get the drivers side off tommorrow if all goes well.

never mind. i'm a dumbass. just part of the casting. but, i cranked it over by hand again, and its like when i crank it a complete time around when it get to top (i'm asomeing top center) it pops and acts like it jumps a little. almost like its missing a tooth and jumps over. what could this mean??

what all do i need to remove to install new oil pump. i have a new one with a pick up just never installed one

Both valve covers, power steering pump, front cover. The timing chain on the passenger side will click when turning the engine over by hand. When the engine is running the oil pressure keeps it tight.