Alaska...in August

girlygirl18t

It was Dave's turn to pick where we are going on vacation this year and he picks Alaska. I submitted to the request after he crushed and tickled me to death....sigh. (I hate cold weather)

We are going to fly there in August for a few days. Has anyone ever been? Is there anything that we should do/see while we are there? We are flying in to Anchorage.

A ex girl friend and still very good friend of mine is stationed there in the air force (Elmendorf). they had a couple days a few weeks ago where it was in the high 70's low 80. course thats not too normal. they have been in the high 50's low 60's lately. i don't know how much sunlight they are having in august but i can ask her when i talk to her again. either today or tomorrow.

If you're into the hiking & camping thing, you could always go to Chugach State Park as it's right outside of town. Or it's a wee bit of a drive NW (about 4 hrs), go to Denali National Park. You could always take a nice scenic drive down to Seward along the Seward Highway.

Mid 60's high, mid 50's low. loads of flies.

Black flies are fuckin NASTY. My father went there hunting carabou (sp?) several years back. Said these black flies will bite you, taking out a good chunk of meat, and then puke in the hole.

Nasty nasty bugs.

Black flies are fuckin NASTY. My father went there hunting carabou (sp?) several years back. Said these black flies will bite you, taking out a good chunk of meat, and then puke in the hole.

Nasty nasty bugs.

That is sooo freaking nasty!!! There is no way I can talk him out of going tho, so I guess big contrainer of bug off is being packed. Thanks for the warning.

I got bit by a few times by black flies several years back while on a fishing trip in Canada. I even had some bug repellant on. They do in fact chew you up in no time. I had a couple that got a little infected and they hurt like hell for days.

Definately pack a can of OFF or some such repellant if you're going to be around the woods.

It's not cold there in the summer. They have 24 hours of daylight at times, the black flies can get really bad, there are wildfires, and some places can get to 90-100 degrees.

Go to Denali National Park, I heard Valdez was cool, and Anchorage lloked ok in the winter, although I only flew through there.

welp this is what my ex-gf thats living up there said.... "it's not cold, but it rains all month" "and stay away from anchorage" " it's ghetto". oh and her comment on how bad the black flies are... "not bad...but the mosquito's will carry you away. No joke." "black flies are probably more of an issue when you're in the woods but the mosquito's are everywhere 50 times larger than ohio mosquito's"