Sushi?

HotCarl

So, Im going out on another date with this girl and I'd like to try something different than the usual. Does anyone know of any Sushi restaurant's around the NW side. Think Dublin/worthington/westerville area. The only places I know are inside Giant Eagle and the place called "Sushi En" right next to Rave Movie Theaters at polaris.

For those of you with more refined pallets, can you recommend what type of sushi a beginner should try? Thanks.

Don't forget about Shoku on Grandview Ave & Sushi Ko on Hutchingson Ave. Both are great!

California rolls are good beginners rolls.

Other rolls to try - spider (softshell crab) roll, dynamite (tempora shrimp) roll, philly (smoked salmon & cream cheese) roll or an eel roll. If you like spicy foods, you can try a spicy tuna roll although the tuna will be raw.

Some of these rolls may have nori (roe/fish eggs) on them, just so you know. Most of the time, there will be descriptions and/or pictures of the actual rolls in the menu, ask your waitress or better yet sit at the sushi bar and ask the cooks themselves.

If you're really adventurous, try some sashimi (raw fish). Good starters include the Eel (which is cooked), shrimp (cooked), salmon (raw) & tuna (raw).

There will also be other non-sushi items on the menu too.

Spicy tuna is a good starter. Any of the shrimps for people who freak at raw food. Salmon good, too. Spicy Tuna handroll coverd in soy/wasabi mix is goooood! Just go down the list and get like 2 of several kinds..

Shoku in Grandview is good. I get from there often.

Kooma near the Short North (across from the North Market) is great. I eat there almost once a week. :)

Haiku on High Street in the Short North typically gets mediocre reviews, but I love it. They're shrimp tempura roll is how I got hooked on sushi, and now it's my favorite food. They have some great regular entrees, too. The General Tso's and Mango Chicken are both fantastic.

I have heard great things about Typhoon in the Arena District/Short North, Otani (I believe it's north side), and mediocre things about the sushi "conveyor" bar (do not know the real name) on High Street across from the Convention Center. I have not yet tried any of these yet so I cannot tell you for sure.

I can tell you where to NOT get sushi. Do not get it from the grocery store, Lemongrass on High Street, or from Nida's in the North Market. If you go to any of these first, you will probably never eat sushi again. Even a sushi fanatic like me can only stomach one of these places every once in a while, in a pinch.

As for starting out, start with the fried rolls. Tempura shrimp, Kooma has an awesome "Resource Roll" which is fried under the rice. These cooked or mostly cooked rolls will get you hooked. Then move into the milder raw stuff; yellowtail, tuna, salmon, and crab (crab is usually cooked) will get you started. If you like spicy things, try their spicy variants and it will make their introduction that much better. Then you can move into more intimidating things like eel (cooked and when done correctly, awesome, I recommend Kooma for eel), octopus, and mackerel. All good tastes. Then move into nigiri (raw with a little spot of rice) and sashimi (raw, no rice). Skip the California Rolls, they're for kids and a waste of money if you're looking to be into sushi.

Good luck.

Wow, I didnt know Sushi could be so ... confusing.

Ive tried a California Roll once when the family was at brunch at Molly Woo's at Polaris. I wasn't too impressed. I just wanted more flavor, but dont mistake that for spicy. Im not too into spicy foods. I do like shrimp, I'll try raw fish, and lobster is ok. Sounds like a Shrimp Tempura Roll is what i might like. I called the place at Polaris called Sushi En, guy seemed very helpful. Said if i come in to ask for him and he can explain the menu and recommend what i may/may not like.

One question I do have is, how is this stuff sold? by the roll? as an entree'? Im not too worried about price but it would be nice to have a heads up if Im going to spend alot. Last time I bought Sushi it was an appetizer so it came on a plate with 6 rolls. I'll let you know if I like it or not though. All else fails, i'll order the sesame chicken. Thanks for all the input guys.

Wow, I didnt know Sushi could be so ... confusing.

It's very confusing at first. Once you go a few times, you'll get it.

I just wanted more flavor, but dont mistake that for spicy. Im not too into spicy foods.

Typically, spicy salmon and tuna rolls aren't terrible in the spicy arena. Just enough. They're a main staple in any sushi restaurant, as well. In my experience spicy scallop rolls are usually way worse, don't start there. :)

One question I do have is, how is this stuff sold? by the roll? as an entree'? Im not too worried about price but it would be nice to have a heads up if Im going to spend alot. Last time I bought Sushi it was an appetizer so it came on a plate with 6 rolls. I'll let you know if I like it or not though. All else fails, i'll order the sesame chicken. Thanks for all the input guys.

Rolls are sold by the roll, which can range from 4 pieces to 12 pieces. Most are 6 pieces, with the more expensive ones being 8 or 12, or 4 and really wide.

Nigiri and sashimi are sold by the piece, or sometimes by the pair of pieces. The menu should say.

P.S. If you're not into spending money, sushi may not be for you. I'm a moderately sized gentleman and I can put down three rolls and a few pieces of nigiri without blinking. I almost never get up from sushi without spending $35 on just myself. My fiancée isn't big, and she can eat two rolls, typically near $20.

Sapporo Wind on Cleve Ave.....Sirens parking lot....Good locater....he he! Or the one at Easton near Bar Louie..opposite side of road.

Sapporo is no longer there, they have moved to Main St./Polaris in Westerville, in the Giant Eagle strip mall right next to Classics Bar....they are by far the best sushi for the price and they've been voted #1 in Columbus a lot!...i absolutely love sushi and eat it at least once a week, i've yet to find anywhere better for the price. if you wanna be a big man and flex your wallet for the little lady....get a 'Love Boat', it's literally a boat and it's covered with just about everything, from fresh fruit and fish, to rolls and cooked steak....awesome!

i've been to Sushi En a few times, and it's good and has a neat atmosphere, but for the price i'd rather have Sapporo, the portions weren't as large...just around the corner at the Marcus is Sushiko, which i believe is owned by the same people, and it's the same story.

P.S. If you're not into spending money, sushi may not be for you. I'm a moderately sized gentleman and I can put down three rolls and a few pieces of nigiri without blinking. I almost never get up from sushi without spending $35 on just myself. My fiancée isn't big, and she can eat two rolls, typically near $20.

WHOA, thats more than I was thinking of. Usually I dont mind spending a bit of money because I never go out to eat. So if i am I'll splurge a bit and be ok. Im sure we can get out of there without going crazy, of course I'd never make a big deal about a check on a date though.

Is your Date into Sushi???

KillJoy

Yes she is actually. She's into all kinds of foods, which im kinda surprised at b/c she's so small you wouldn't believe how much she can eat. Well she gave me some shit about not trying new things so it was either this or indian food ... lets just say Im not ready for indian food yet but I am willing to try something new.

Indian food is easy, as long as it's GOOD Indian food. There are so many shitty Indian places in Columbus.

Check out Indian Kitchen off of High Street on Campus. Their lunch buffet is okay, but dinner is where it's at. When you stop being a pussy order the goat. :p It's earth-shattering.

Also New India on Bethel is okay as well. They're a little heavy on the dairy in their dishes, IMO.

Indian food is easy, as long as it's GOOD Indian food. There are so many shitty Indian places in Columbus.

Check out Indian Kitchen off of High Street on Campus. Their lunch buffet is okay, but dinner is where it's at. When you stop being a pussy order the goat. :p It's earth-shattering.

Also New India on Bethel is okay as well. They're a little heavy on the dairy in their dishes, IMO.

Thats it... Im just going to consult you before I take a date anywhere.

oh and i think "earth shattering" is probably the last thing I want my bowels to resemble on a date.

x2 Akai Hana, I take my corporate folks from Japan there when they are in town with me on travels. I travel to Japan for business too must say this place is our best kept secret for great authentic Japanese food. :thumbup:

i just had sushi last night, IMO the best place ,its outside of dublin on old henderson called "hana" right next to the sportsbar.

Thats it... Im just going to consult you before I take a date anywhere.

oh and i think "earth shattering" is probably the last thing I want my bowels to resemble on a date.

Haha. I can't help it, I just take food seriously. :)

Tim, I'll give them a try as well. :D