Leinenkugels's Fireside Nut Brown "Winter Seasonal"

Fonzie

Good shit Maynard!!

Thought this place could use a beer thread :cheers:

I've never been into, or even understood the whole fru fru beer/microbrewery craze. More of a Coors Lite kinda guy. To me......Beer's beer, and all those niche' ones were for the same stuck up snob yuppie wannabes who order $5 coffees at Starbucks. As George Carlin said......The more complicated the coffee order, the bigger the asshole!! :D

That being said.......When I went over to PA/NY 2 months ago for the big XX meat, the guys "persuaded" me to drink copius amounts of the local favorite, Yuengling. ;) Pretty good stuff. Went out with another friend last month, and decided to have a Sam Adams Octoberfest with him when he ordered one. Pretty good as well. In fact, went to buy some for the house a few days later, and that stuff must be like QVC......When it's gone, it's GONE!! :eek: There was still a week left in October, and the couple 6 packs I'd seen a few days earlier when I decided to try Cherry Wheat & Harvest Moon instead, were vanished by the time I went back.

So I've tried some others since then. Sam Adams Cream Stout....Kinda strong/bitter. Didn't taste the carmel & stuff like they claimed. Did really like the Cherry Wheat though. The Harvest Moon was OK as well. Budweiser American Ale was OK, but I kept having this suspicion while I was drinking it, that if I had a regular 'ol Bud alongside it......I may not be able to tell the difference ;) Had an Amber Bock & local microbrew the barmaid said was "tastetastic & her favorite" with a rasberry taste, up at Myle's Pizza in Bowling Green last weekend. The Bock was pretty good. Rasberry......Not so much :nono:

Anyways......Went to the store tonight with the intention of finally trying Sam Adams Winter Ale, that I keep putting off for others that catch my eye when I get to the beer aisle. Well....Guess what? The Leinenkugel's caught my eye this time. Kept debating, but decided I see the Winter Ale everywhere, so I'd give the 'Kugel "Winter Seasonal" the nod this time

Glad I did.....Me LIKEY!! :D Very smooth, and has kind of a hazlenut aftertaste to it, which may sound kind of crazy in a beer.....but I dig it

So there 'ya go. My $.02 & ramblings about my recent forays into the top shelf beer culture. I guess I'm one of "those assholes" now. Oh wait.....Some people think I always have been!! :lol:

If you see it try some great lakes christmas ale

Will do. Keep eyein' the GL's Edmund Fitzgerald too....Just 'cause it's the Edmund Fitzgerald ;)

Somethin' about bein' from Toledo/Lake Erie/Great Lake & that ship has ALWAYS fascinated me

Edited by Fonzie

Love all the Liney's. You rshould try the Summer shandy next summer. Also, not a big fan of Sam Adams, knida barky tasting, but the winter ale or whatever they call it is pretty tasty. I too was always a miller man, then started trying some of the micro brew and to my shock, you could actually taste the beer, not just the water. The only time I drink Miller anymore is if I am mowing the lawn and need to rehydrate. LOL. I now keep my eye out for alot of the micros to at least try and see if the taste hits me. And my personal favorite in tap is a black and blue(guiness and Blue Moon). Love the flavor combo.

Serious question for you Pauly, and please don't take this the wrong way.......But you don't find the plastic bucket leaves any kind of an aftertaste/undertone with the beer sittin' in it that long I take it?

I too was always a miller man, then started trying some of the micro brew and to my shock, you could actually taste the beer, not just the water. The only time I drink Miller anymore is if I am mowing the lawn and need to rehydrate. LOL. I now keep my eye out for alot of the micros to at least try and see if the taste hits me. And my personal favorite in tap is a black and blue(guiness and Blue Moon). Love the flavor combo.

Sounds like me. I've heard of the Shandy before....I'll def give it a try next summer

No strange after tastes at all. The bucket is for primary fermentation only. The wert is only in the plastic pale for about 5 days. Then it is transfered to a glass carboy for another 3-5 days. The fermentation process is relatively quick vs. the conditioning process. That takes about 6-12 weeks depending on the recipe. This process occurs in the final package' date=' the capped glass bottle.[/quote']

Gotcha

I was assuming it sat in the bucket for 6-12 weeks

So ballpark......What's a batch cost you, and how much does it make?

Another self proclaimed beer snob haha......

We brew few batches in a local fun place....in the summer we did the hefe weizen.....well almost came out as hoegaarden wit beer :p highly recommend this place

http://www.thebrewkettle.com/

....and I do a beer tour every year in the local winking lizard

http://www.winkinglizard.com/data/content/beer_tour.asp

My picks (diverse) this year:

Celebrator dopplebock

Duvel

Left Hand Milk Stout

Thirsty Dog Old Leghumper

and I liked almost all of the Sam Smiths...well may be the Imperial Stout

Cheers' date=' mate!! Maybe one day we'll all meet at the battle cruiser for a bit of shifting gear. Only one problem then, I'm out of Captain Kirk so I don't have any bees 'n honey.[/quote']

Haha no probs...sure we should sometime

Just got this message from a friend on my XX board, who lives up by Ann Arbor. Think he may be twisting my arm to come up & visit. ;) Hell.....Maybe we'll turn this into a DTC function & grab a room for the night!! :)

Hey Russ, if you want to sample some good beers, come up and visit me. Every July there is a beer fest from the Michigan Brewers Guild.

Here is a link to their site from this years past festival. It is a good time. Ride up, drink beer, hang out. Ride the next day and head home.

• 2 months later...
Seasonal Summer Leinenkugels is the best Fonzie.

SUMMER SHANDY! Tasty!

spaceball.gif

Yeah....You're about the 3rd or 4th person that's said that. I'm definitely gonna try it as soon as I can

Yeah....You're about the 3rd or 4th person that's said that. I'm definitely gonna try it as soon as I can

April thru August. Around here you only can find it at the big liqour store (Arrow Wine and Spirits) when it's out. I haven't found a grocery store that carries it yet.

I've never been into, or even understood the whole fru fru beer/microbrewery craze. More of a Coors Lite kinda guy. To me......Beer's beer, and all those niche' ones were for the same stuck up snob yuppie wannabes who order $5 coffees at Starbucks. As George Carlin said......The more complicated the coffee order, the bigger the asshole!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Roky52aR02E

There is a Bbar in Millersburg called Bags Sports Bar. Last I recall around 75 different choices of brew. The beer list was longer than the menu.

There were several micro brews I tried this past year.

Cup o Joe - coffee flavored, smooth but bitter aftertaste

Nitro Extra Russian Stout - this was mighty tasty

Leghumper - Kosmo beat me to it.

Usually only get to try these when I'm outta town. Being as Crowtown only carries Budweiser, Bud Lidght, Miller Lite, and Busch Lite. Silly Rednecks.

Havent been doing my usual weekly variation in a while like I used to... last one I had was the Christmas Ale from Great Lakes I think.. am going to try and get back into the swing of things this Spring.

Not a huge fan of the Summer Shandy though... it was good but I can only drink a couple of em' and I dont like that I have to be limited lol, maybe that just means I am too much of a drunk