Does this sound like a tranny issue?

87GT

94 saturn sl2 automatic. It is all stock no modifications.

Let me explain that my valve body is already bad because it slam shifts in reverse ever since I bought this car. Also the EGR line is clogged and the EGR needs replaced. Cleaning it did not help....disconnecting the vacuum line fixes the problem.

Here is the problem

Engine revs high like normal but car doesn't go anywhere. Only goes when it is in overdrive in low rpms. Then it creeps along. Feels like the cat converter is clogged.

Ok so I took someone's previous advice and tried to replace my catalytic converter. Took it off and I see it is already hollowed out. I did not know this before I bought the car. There is no E-Check here so I just got a test pipe welded on here. This seem to fix my loud rattling sounds I had before. So this was fine for 2 days. Now it still has the same issues.

Example getting onto the highway: I push the gas half way to the floor and the engine responds by shifting down like normal. The car goes slower then normal to get up to speed. By around 40-50MPH it stops going and the engine still rev's high (by now around 4K). It will keep this speed until I let go of the gas and let it go into overdrive. Then it goes... Likewise if I am up to 65mph and I want to pass someone I hit the pedal half way to the floor, goes up to 4K or so and it will not move. I have to do it in overdrive. Also sometimes after driving on the highway the car will kind of buck around. It bucks kind of like when my EGR valve is clogged and I am going 25mph.

This problem also sometimes happens driving in the city in the 35-45MPH range and try to do a hard acceleration.

What does this sound like to you?

Engine revs high like normal but car doesn't go anywhere. Only goes when it is in overdrive in low rpms. Then it creeps along. Feels like the cat converter is clogged.

What does this sound like to you?

i would think just from what i read that it sounds like a tranny problem, although my mom had a problem with her car that when she steps on the gas the car would jerk back and forth a lil like it wasnt giving so i changed her spark plugs, fuel filter, and air filter and she said the problem stoped but when i drive it i can still feel it. just not that much

If it looks burnt I'd definately change the fluid. It sounds like it could be the torque converter or possibly a bad temperaturesensor. If the sensor is bad and is reading a low temperature, the torque converter probably won't lock up like it should.

It's been about 3 years since I had an auto in my Saturn. I'm just going by personal experience.

Could be just the valve body Eric. You could also have a loose input shaft nut which is common to cause slow acceleration problems, but usually in lower gears. The EGR would help too, my '94 needs one but I've been too lazy to work on my own car.

Could be just the valve body Eric. You could also have a loose input shaft nut which is common to cause slow acceleration problems, but usually in lower gears. The EGR would help too, my '94 needs one but I've been too lazy to work on my own car.

Ya could be the valve body. I don't know if I want to spend the time to repair it myself. Maybe if i could get a rebuilt one. They are a little expensive if they are new correct?

I will drive without the EGR hooked up for a few days and see if that fixes it for the time being. I am going to flush the tranny fluid and change the filter just in case.

I think my cost on a new OEM valve body is close to $400, maybe around $350. Regular is like $700. I could pull one from a junkyard for you or something and install it for much cheaper, but that's up to you.

i did a little research and you may have more of a problem than just a valve body it may be time to rebuild. if you do put a valve body in make sure you reset transmission shift adapts as it will cause other problems if you don't.

I think my cost on a new OEM valve body is close to $400, maybe around $350. Regular is like $700. I could pull one from a junkyard for you or something and install it for much cheaper, but that's up to you.

if you can find one at a good price and wanna install it I can pay you for your time. you know i am good for the money anyway. just let me know before you actually go buy one. money is always tight in my checking account.

So there is a rapsy sound coming from back of my car today. I get under it and there is a nice size hole in the axle back exhaust. Haven't had power loss issues today. Don;t want to say its fixed yet though.