super Corvette, the SS: Formerly know in various circles as Blue Devil, Sting Ray,ZO7

SpaceGhost

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4219082.html

DETROIT — Rumors abound on details of the new, hyper-speed Corvette, so it’s time for a reality check. Here’s what we hear from the largest Corvette dealer in Michigan. —Jim Dunne

1. Chevy will offer manual transmission on the new ’Vette.

Verdict: False

Word is that the blown engine is too strong for any of GM’s manuals, so the uber Corvette will only come in automatic. It’s a reversal of precedent—the automatic transmission proves stronger here than the manual.

2. The super Corvette will have twin turbochargers to develop 650 horsepower.

Verdict: False

A single supercharger nestled between the cylinder banks with do the job all by itself. Reports have the intercooler mounted above the supercharger, just under the air scoop in the new hood.

3. Chevy plans to produce 3000 of the new ’Vettes.

Verdict: True

Dealers are already accepting orders for the 1500 cars we’ll see each year for the next two years. Then production will stop.

4. The new Corvette will cost $100,000.

Verdict: True

The price tag we reported earlier could climb even higher. We now hear “between 100 and 125” as the target for Chevy marketers.

5. GM will drop the current Corvette Z06 from its lineup.

Verdict: Jury’s out

We’ve heard stories both ways—that the Z06 will continue on the moderate end of this high-performance series, or that it’ll be gone altogether. Not sure how this will shake out, but we’ll keep you posted.

http://media.popularmechanics.com/images/corvette-ss-spy-1.jpg

DETROIT — Here’s the latest on the new super Corvette, the SS: Formerly know in various circles as Blue Devil, Sting Ray and Z07, the hottest ‘Vette ever (and probably the first Chevy ever over $100,000) will carry 650 supercharged horsepower under that modified hood. But horsepower is not everything for the ultimate in performance. Ask any race driver—light weight is a key element, too. And that’s were we see some major changes in this ‘Vette SS.

Check out the brand-new spy shots below at right, and look at the roof. Even given the rough edges you see on some prototypes, this roof still doesn’t look right. One consultant suggests that carbon fiber is the material for the roof, lending its strength to the structure and light weight to the car’s mass—an advantage especially important for the top section of the car.

That hood covering is just as important. It covers the bulge (and air scoop, too?) for the supercharger, and it may be built out of carbon fiber.

A close look at the wheels shows ultra-thin spokes set in five sets of two—possibly another application of exotic materials that reduces unsprung weight. What can we say about the size of the tires? They appear larger than those on the Z06. You can see proof of this in the added “mud flaps” on the rear fenders and those probably hidden by the covering on the front fenders.

In the rear, we spot a new look at the top of the deck. A small aero lip stretches from side to side, housing a stingy CHMSL—a completely new wrinkle in rear-end design.

Finally, what is going on with the wide coverings on the front fenders? The front mud guards can’t take up that much space. We’ll check into that and much more with the GM camp and get back to you soon. —Jim Dunne

Nice find, but personally, I'd never pay $100k for it. I'd buy a slightly used late model ZO or non and have it modded. would likely do as much if not more in terms of power. I hope GM doesn't expect these to save them from all the troubles they have. :rolleyes: Not intended to be a GM bash of course....I just would like them to uncover something that will save them.

While I do think then next gen Camaro and what not might help them, I still don't see them selling in the volumes they will need.

Nice find, but personally, I'd never pay $100k for it. I'd buy a slightly used late model ZO or non and have it modded. would likely do as much if not more in terms of power. I hope GM doesn't expect these to save them from all the troubles they have. :rolleyes: Not intended to be a GM bash of course....I just would like them to uncover something that will save them.

I think it's more for the older/rich as shit guys who don't feel like modding a Vette themselves.

That thing is pretty sweet though. That's one of those cars you drive on your last day of driving. Cause you'll be dead or in jail by the end of that day.

Don't most supra's that made more than 650 hp they make that power way up in the rpms. I think this vette will most likely make 600lbft of torque or more at maybe what 2-3k rpm? I wonder if a Supra tranny could take that tourque down low?