Wireless/Computer Question

Kevin R.

Basically the situation is I cannot continuously receive wireless from our router which comes from the desktop (I really don't know how the shit works).

I can get it once and then if I have to reconnect or if I shut down and power back up I cannot reconnect to our wireless unless I go down and unplug the router I believe and then reconnect, and then repeat.

It does the same thing with my dad's work laptop.

My brothers laptop, however, has no problem connecting and reconnecting the way wireless should be.

I am getting tired of using the neighbor's weak ass signal.

I was wondering if anyone knew of anything it could be. Some type of settings or something that could have changed.

Thanks,

Kevin

I was having the same problem on my laptop, my laptop came with a wireless card installed, so what I did was went to the System Recovery Tab, and there is an application and driver recovery thing, I reinstalled the driver for the wireless card and havent had any problems since

I was having the same problem on my laptop, my laptop came with a wireless card installed, so what I did was went to the System Recovery Tab, and there is an application and driver recovery thing, I reinstalled the driver for the wireless card and havent had any problems since

I'll try that. Thanks.

You can update your driver through windows by going to:

Control Panel >> System >> Hardware (tab) >> Device Manager

Right-Click the network adapter in question (you'll likely have 2, one is the wireless card) and choose Update Driver

That being said, I usually have better luck just looking at the Device manager to find out what the card is and then get the driver from the manufacturer's website (manuf. of the card itself that is).

What operation system is on your dad's laptop and your brother's? If it affects only 2 of the 3 computers then it probably isn't something with the router. Start by updating your drivers for the wireless network card. If this doesn't work and you have a copy of windows 2K install that. in my experience 2k seems to like weak wireless signals more then any version of XP and/or media center. If you don't want to do this then I suggest getting a new wireless card, a PCI one that has an external antenna. Put that antenna as high as possible in the room.

You could also try to move the wireless router to the highest point possible in the house. That sometimes works.

My brother's and dad's are XP. It tells me the signal is strong...all 5 bars...but won't let me connect.

One driver updated the rest were current. Still won't connect unless I unplug the router cable then plug back in, but still only works once.

does it have single or dual antenna? They need to be sticking straight up as omni directional antennas propagate in a doughnut shape.

are you using wireless zero config or the driver for the card?

Internal or external wireless cards? PCI or USB?

Internal. No idea what PCI is.

does it have single or dual antenna? They need to be sticking straight up as omni directional antennas propagate in a doughnut shape.

I have no idea. No antenna I can see.

Second question - I guess the Windows program? Just plain windows wireless thing.

the antenna's I am talking about are on the AP not your client.

You are describing a low signal strength problem that some network cards don't like. Probably a driver issue.

Well the computer is telling me I have full signal strength coming from the wireless network I am trying to get to. The router is maybe 20 feet away downstairs. Also, when this happens with my dad's work laptop (which he still doesnt know why) he sits maybe 10 feet away from it. Just doesn't seem like the strength of the signal is a problem (but I don't know).

chime in......Akula is PC God to me :D Thanks for all the help you've given me :thumbup:

Well the computer is telling me I have full signal strength coming from the wireless network I am trying to get to. The router is maybe 20 feet away downstairs. Also, when this happens with my dad's work laptop (which he still doesnt know why) he sits maybe 10 feet away from it. Just doesn't seem like the strength of the signal is a problem (but I don't know).

Upgrade the driver... if that doesn't work then get a new wireless card. I suggest a PC Card wireless card (PCMCIA those cards that look like a credit card that slide in the side of the laptop) with an external antenna. I don't have one with an external antenna but I do have a wireless PC card you can borrow. See if that works for both of the laptops?

Just kind of seems a little unnecessary. I can connect to other wireless sources even further away (neighbors and such which is how I am on here now) and have no problem connecting at school.

It is just I cannot connect to our own network for some reason.

BTW - I upgraded the driver. Nothing changed.

Upgrade the driver... if that doesn't work then get a new wireless card. I suggest a PC Card wireless card (PCMCIA those cards that look like a credit card that slide in the side of the laptop) with an external antenna. I don't have one with an external antenna but I do have a wireless PC card you can borrow. See if that works for both of the laptops?

Try changing the channel that the wireless router works on. Do you know how to login to the router over your web browser?

No I don't. Pops will have to check it out when he gets home he set it up and everything so I have no idea.