R33 Skyline at Denny Dotson

HAOLE

yeah, sorry about the treadjack, but it happens sometimes. At least it's somewhat meaningful conversation and not just meanless arguments about nothing right?

Andy, had to be specific about track...didn't want people thinking I bought a 14 second car to drag race with.

The tires are BFG KDWs...no complaints so far from me. Thanks for the compliments.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, sorry about the treadjack, but it happens sometimes. At least it's somewhat meaningful conversation and not just meanless arguments about nothing right?

Andy, had to be specific about track...didn't want people thinking I bought a 14 second car to drag race with.

The tires are BFG KDWs...no complaints so far from me. Thanks for the compliments.

True about the drag racing thing...those I-6's aren't really happy until they're doing 80+ mph to begin with, and with FI they won't get traction til 3rd gear. One of my favorite car projects I've seen (several times, actually) is the S50 motor swapped into the E30 body, Smurf I'm lookin your direction.

Any glimmers of FI in your car's future?

That's a really tough one, and I don't think I'll make my final decision on that for some time. Ideally, the car would be perfect on the track with another 100hp, but I'm weary as to the reliability of an aftermarket F/I car on the track on a regular basis. Currently I drive the car to the track, beat the piss out of it, and drive it home with little fuss *knocks on wood*. It would be a shame to lose that versitility. Hell after doing the 3.5"HFM/injector upgrade I got 30mpg on the way to Nelson last time!!!

Cams would keep a large portion of the reliability of the car, but to do that mod correctly is very close to the amount of doing the AA C-38 Stage 1 blower kit. It's hard to swallow the thought of spending the same money for at least 30 less hp.

Luckily/unfortunately (depending on how you view it), I've got time to think about it because I'm not doing anything else to the car except maintenance and consumables until next year at the earliest. A lot of the decisions down the road will be influenced on whether or not I buy an additional street/track car next year.

Guest Mekkahfire

I wouldnt buy from denny dotson.

My friend and I went to look at a 350z they had on their lot, he was ready to buy.. He asked if there were any problems, they of course said no.

Upon further review, there was a small dent in the rear qurater pannel, the rear bumper had been completely repainted, and the exhaust was bent so that one tip was sticking out way further than the other.

Upon haggling with him for 30 minutes just to get a test drive, the car made all sorts of strange noises. Not bad for a car with "no problems".

I wouldnt buy from denny dotson.

My friend and I went to look at a 350z they had on their lot, he was ready to buy.. He asked if there were any problems, they of course said no.

Upon further review, there was a small dent in the rear qurater pannel, the rear bumper had been completely repainted, and the exhaust was bent so that one tip was sticking out way further than the other.

Upon haggling with him for 30 minutes just to get a test drive, the car made all sorts of strange noises. Not bad for a car with "no problems".

sounds good. should of gotten the car.

All I have is anecdotal evidence, but I was looking at a car there with a friend who was interested in buying a sprayed yellow SRT-4 they had, but from another acquaintence we were warned away from it because apparently there's a guy that will buy a new car, modify it, rack up miles for a few months while he beats the piss out of it, then flips it to Denny Dotson and takes one of their cars or something.

Even if that isn't true, just look at the shit they sell...the CRX on the site, the turbo'd Celica (big fuckin whoop), the ricey-ass RX-8.

That would be me that sold them the yellow sprayed 04 SRT-4, and there was nothing wrong with it, I just could no longer afford it with some things that occured at that time. I downgraded to a 00 Prelude. Finally I am now back to something semi-quick.

I have never had any trouble with Denny Dotson, however some of my friends have had motors blow with in weeks of buying from there, my advice would be to have any thing you want to purchase from wherever checked out first.

That would be me that sold them the yellow sprayed 04 SRT-4, and there was nothing wrong with it, I just could no longer afford it with some things that occured at that time. I downgraded to a 00 Prelude. Finally I am now back to something semi-quick.

I have never had any trouble with Denny Dotson, however some of my friends have had motors blow with in weeks of buying from there, my advice would be to have any thing you want to purchase from wherever checked out first.

whether for better or for worse, its nice to hear from the source of these stories i hear. i hate calling shit "evidence" when i hear from friend of a friend of a friend of a guy who knew a guy. I do know that my friend and I drove a yellow 04 GTO there that blew ASS and the transmission was shot to shit.

Guest 00Smurf
True about the drag racing thing...those I-6's aren't really happy until they're doing 80+ mph to begin with, and with FI they won't get traction til 3rd gear. One of my favorite car projects I've seen (several times, actually) is the S50 motor swapped into the E30 body, Smurf I'm lookin your direction.

i'm down. where can we find and s50?

Guest earleys94gt
If I remember correctly, I saw this same car 2 summers ago up at Columbus Square. If it's the same car it was owned by an older guy, who had the car roped off with velvet rope and sat by it in a lawn chair making sure NO ONE got with in 5 feet of it. And even though it is not a GT-R, it's still a Skyline...and how many can say they own one.

Guest Mekkahfire

lol there was a kid at columbus square a few years back with a "show car" Honda Civic, and he busted the velvet ropes out of the trunk.

You can imagine how sweet this looked

1) in columbus square

2) around a honda civic

3) with some mexican kid sitting in a foldout chair MAKING SURE you didnt touch his beautiful piece of glowing machinery.

From another forum of a guy pondering trading in his 350z on this Skyline at Denny Dotson:

Ok, the begining to the adventure was nice. almost a 2 1/4 hr drive to get there. I drove at a good pace! Nice cruise! I got down there and the guy had the skyline, another 350z ( lehmans sunset ) kitted, cowl hood, stillen super charger. Rx8 kitted, hood, wing, twins. Some bad ass looking cars there. I start checking the r33 out. inside , outside, underside, topside, you name it! looked good so far. I started it up. Sounded bad ass! I said "can i take it out ? " He said " you drove 2 1/2 hrs, you can do what ever you want!" I get in, start her up, and pull out. It was really not that bad driving right side! I didn't miss a beat. As i pull out from the lot the wheel hit the fender. I get down the road pull into a church parking lot and pull a u turn ( w/ screeching tires ) went back out for a drive. Laid into it 1st gear 2000 rpm, 3000rpm,4000rpm..............spit.....sputter.....spit......sputter. tack gauge going nuts. Won't hold itself still at any rpm. I try again. Same thing! Story is about to get a lot shorter. Car was rubbing out in fender wells. Needed tuned something terrible, and then some. Everything was in kil. and not mph, etc. And i could not find any visual proof that the engine was a rb25 besides what could have been a fake plate. Anyway, i took the car back after a romp. It was fun to drive on the opposite side! I told him there was no way the car was going to get $34K He disagreed of course. I asked him what he thought of my car? ( He looked at it while i was out ) He said it was the nicest one on the lot. Big compliment. I thanked him! I said we'll how much would you give me for mine? He came back w/ A sick #. The dealer offered me $10k more for mine than what this guy offered! I said thank you, shook his hand and left.